Print

Author Topic: Why do we want Luigi?  (Read 14032 times)

« on: October 21, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »
People have gone on about how Luigi is playable in Super Mario 64, and how he should be in every game. I've always wondered "Why is Luigi wanted so much". All he is is green with a different head shape (not even that in some cases). Even I, someone who wants Luigi so badly, do not know why I want to play as him. Is it just that red has gotten boring and green is somehow exciting? Maybe it is how tall he is, or the L on his cap?

What is it in your opinion?
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:01:24 AM »
At first I thought this was an intriguing question probing into the depths of mankind's soul. Then I thought, why do you need a reason to like playing as Luigi?
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
Dang, this is actually a good question. I can see why someone would want to be Wario (he's way different than Mario) but Luigi is almost a Mario clone. Meh, I guess I like Luigi because he's green and not red. He also acts a bit different than Mario; Mario is kind and heroic while Luigi is kind and cowardly.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »
I think it's because people are tired of playing as the fat red plumber. They've played as him too many times and Luigi, about 7. Mario Kart series, Smash Bros series, Mario is Missing, and Luigi's Mansion.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Well, he was a game breaker in both SMB2(USA) and in SM64DS where his jump is something to behold.

He also seems more flawed than his brother, and that makes a character enduring.

Maybe alot of people had older sibling, so they were stuck being Player No.2.

But, while I like Mario the best, He is never cooler than when Luigi's there besides him.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:42:51 AM by Boo Dudley »

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:16:10 AM »
To me, Luigi is more then a color swap of Mario. Luigi has diffrent emotions and feelings then Mario. (As in cowardly, clumsy, strange relationships with ghosts)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
At first I thought, why do you need a reason to like playing as Luigi?  Then I thought, this is an intriguing question probing into the depths of mankind's mind. 

I wish there was a way to play SMB Lost Levels as Luigi on Wii without losing the Mario file my wife likes to play because Mario doesn't slip as much after jumping.  I prefer Luigi because he jumps higher.  Hmm.  Maybe I can reset, play as Luigi, and then simply not exit to the Wii menu.  Would that work?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 11:32:46 AM »
Luigi just plain has more personality than Mario and, like Boo Dudley already said, his jumping skills are godly.

I don't care if some ladies adore round things. I'm not one of them.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »
L'son, I think resetting kills your save file. I could be wrong though.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »
Quote from: Suffix on June 19, 2007, 01:19:41 am
I'm somewhat surprised so many people favor Luigi. I thought it was just a quirk of my own. I like Luigi's fighting style, and how he's much lighter than Mario.

Quote from ME sometime after that
It's all coming clearer now. Now I'm starting to see why people favor Luigi so much. They think it's different. Everyone wants to be different. But it's ridicules. If I had a nickel for the number of times I've seen someone say that Luigi could "PWN!" Mario or something like that, then I'd have like, 2$ (I'm talking about the Nsider forums mostly). Anyway, the point is, Luigi is overrated.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:34:13 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
It's because he's tantalizing: Playable in one or two games, a cameo perhaps in ones he's not... it's human nature to be curious about things people don't or won't let us see or do--think of him as a green-capped Pandora's box without all the pain and suffering.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
I actually like seeing Mario and Luigi work together, in such games as the Mario and Luigi series and Super Paper Mario. It's cool to see cooperation between the two, and their interactions together are much more interesting than either alone.
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »
I've always just assumed that Luigi was behind the scenes somewhere, helping Mario (even in the games that didn't have a player two option).

It'd be great to see them working together in outside of the M&L or PM games (and the spinoff games, of course).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »
I love it when the Bros. work together for a common goal as well. I remember when Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was first announced. I was like "Whoooooooaaaaaaa.... cool."

I'm pretty excited about what his role will be in Galaxy... there has to be something better over which to drain your second Wii Remote's batteries than pointing at things. But of course I'd have to go out and buy another Nunchuk. I guess Christmas isn't so far away from Galaxy's release date, and I don't have anything in mind for a list (since I'm in the habit of buying my games immediately).
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »
I thought there was already an answer to Luigi's popularity, and that I was one of the only ones that didn't know, but when I found this thread... well I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.  In all honesty, I don't really have a preference to either brother.  I agree that they are the coolest when working together.  One of my reasons for liking Luigi is because we have a little bit in common: I'm not as outgoing as my shorter, older sister, and when I was a kid, my favorite color was green.  I guess I also like how Luigi seems to have more personality than his brother.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print