Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 22: Coins!  (Read 8679 times)

« on: September 14, 2008, 10:46:20 AM »
Which Mario game had the best use for coins? Or the best design? Just tell me which game has "The Best or Worst Coins, for whatever reason!" Anyway...

BEST:

Super Mario RPG (1) Lack of better vote, but FROGGY COINS!

WORST:

Super Mario Galaxy (1) Did coins even have a purpose in this game? (Am I forgetting they heal you...?)

NOMINATIONS:
Mario Sports game (2)
Original Super Mario Bros Level (2)
2D Game (4)
3D Game (1)

(10 Votes=Topic)

BEST Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64
WEEK 8(Yoshi's Role): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 9(Intro): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 10(Ending): Paper Mario
WEEK 11(Races): Super Mario 64
WEEK 12(Non-Bowser bosses): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 13(Hub):Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Super Mario 64
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
WEEK 17(Level Success Animation): Super Mario 64
WEEK 18(Ghost Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 19(Castle/Fortress Music): Super Mario World
WEEK 20(Super Mario Bros. Remixes): Super Mario 64
WEEK 21(First Level): Super Mario 64

WORST Winners:
WEEK 13(Hub): Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Mario Kart Wii
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario Kart Wii
WEEK 17(Level Success Animation): Super Mario Bros. 2(American)
WEEK 18(Ghost Levels): Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 19(Castle/Fortress Music): Super Mario Bros. 3
WEEK 20(Super Mario Bros. Remixes): Super Mario All-Stars
WEEK 21(First Level): Super Mario Sunshine   

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Best: SMG and/or SMS because one is pretty and the other is useful.

Worst: SM64 for ugliness.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
Best: Mario and Luigi:SS. Well, they're money, for crying out loud, but you could also do all those crazy coin block tricks and knock coins out of Mario.
Worst: SMG. I really think what they should've done is just replaced Coins with Star Bits, period. That would've made the game a lot better.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »
Sorry, I can't decide on a vote, but I'll nominate "Best 2D Game" for next week.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »
Best: SM64. They heal you and can net you a star at the end of the course if you earn 100.

Worst: Super Mario Kart. I hated these. If you didn't have one, you wiped out if someone rammed you. I really hate the coin system in this game. Sure they could protect you, but if we didn't have them, we wouldn't really have to worry about wiping out that much (save for items).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
BEST: Super Mario 64, replenishes health, and helps you get more stars.
WORST: Super Mario Bros. 2 (US), You can only get them in Subspace, plus all they do is give you a roll on the roulette.
Ditto used Machop!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
BEST: SS, for the Tennis Block and for being able to hold 9,999 of them.

WORST: SMK, for the same reasons as PL.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »
Best: SM64. They heal you and can net you a star at the end of the course if you earn 100.

You know, the same exact thing happens in Super Mario Sunshine, except the coins look better.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:36:32 PM »
And as a bonus, it has the unbelievably annoying blue coins!
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »
Best: Galaxy, because I'd say that's where they have the most value given your low health capacity. No Mario game really stands out in terms of coin value though. I've always been good with money in RPGs, only running out regularly in Final Fantasy (and FFII), a couple of times in MOTHER 3 and only after buying a whole bunch of TMs in Pokémon. Almost never in Mario RPGs.

Worst: Sunshine, for the blue ones.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
Best: Sunshine, for the blue ones. I loved how much exploration was in that game.

Worst: Galaxy, it got rid of hundred coin hunting (well, purple coins, but those were set  up in one specific area). Plus the only good thing was health, but there always seemed to be a 6-life mushroom that defeated the purpose.

And I vote for best 2d game.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
Best: SMG, because they were mostly sparse in the later levels, and could be used for healing (a feature used in all three 3D Mario games).

Worst: Super Mario Sunshine. The Blue Coin hunt from the Underwhere!

Nominee: Original SMB level
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »
Best: SMW, the Dragon Coins provide an extra challenge once you find all the exit goals.

Worst: SMG, because I hated collecting Purple Cpins.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:51:08 AM »
Best:  SMW.  I like the coins with Yoshi's profile face.
Worst:  SMG.  Too few and the only purpose they served was healing
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
You know, the same exact thing happens in Super Mario Sunshine, except the coins look better.

Sorry, I just like the 64 coins better. Everything about Sunshine just sort of leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (Piantas, blue coins, Bowser Jr.) and in contrast, 64 is nearly perfect. Galaxy is perfect. Sunshine is just...meh. Same goes for its coins.

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
Best: Super Mario Galaxy. While they didn't have much of a purpose other then to heal you, Mario only had three pieces of health, so they were incredably valuable.

Worst: Super Mario 64. The coins were way too small. Plus, it's because of that 100 coin mission on Hazy Maze Cave that I never got all 150 stars on SM64DS. Overall, I disliked them.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
It's easy to get 100 coins in Hazy Maze Cave. Use Yoshi to make an egg from one of those spiders and throw them at groups of enemies. Each hit the egg gets produces three coins.

But of course Yoshi is absolutely worthless in Super Mario 64 DS so nobody would've thought of that! Right?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 04:06:27 AM »
Lucky for me, I discovered quite by accident that trick with throwing eggs very early on in the game, so Yoshi was my character of choice for hard 100-coin missions.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Week 22: Coins!

BEST:

Super Mario RPG (1)
Super Mario Galaxy (4)
Mario and Luigi: SuperStar Saga (2)
Super Mario 64 (1)
Super Mario Sunshine (1)
Super Mario World (2)

WORST:

Super Mario Galaxy (5)
Super Mario 64 (2)
Super Mario Kart (2)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) (1)
Super Mario Sunshine (2)

NOMINATIONS:

Mario Sports game (2)
Original Super Mario Bros Level (3)
2D Game (6)
3D Game (1)

(10 Votes=Topic)

Super Mario Galaxy...is both the BEST AND WORST??? Special Tiebreaker! First person to vote for it being Best or Worst decides the fate of SMG!

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
SMG is... worst.

They had no other useful purpose than restoring health.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »
That may be true, but their rarity makes you realize how important they really are when you have 1 Health Bar left.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
May I make a suggestion? Subtract the "best" votes from the "worst" votes for each game. Then the winner will be determined on how well it did overall rather than how many votes it got from both categories. The same process can be done to find out who the loser is.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:37:05 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
BEST: Wario Land II.  They were a lot of fun to collect, especially the giant ones with Wario's profile etched into them.  And there's also those black ones that are worth 100 coins.

WORST: Super Mario Kart.  Glad they never brought 'em back.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
May I make a suggestion? Subtract the "best" votes from the "worst" votes for each game. Then the winner will be determined on how well it did overall rather than how many votes it got from both categories. The same process can be done to find out who the loser is.

Seconded; could certainly prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

WORST: Super Mario Kart.  Glad they never brought 'em back.

Hate to break it to you, but they were in Super Circuit as well, and served pretty much the same role.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print