Print

Author Topic: AVG/iTunes Virus  (Read 7043 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 07:43:20 AM »
Dude, it's all about freedom of choice. Just because you have an elitist attitude doesn't mean everyone else should have to pay fifteen bucks for one or two songs they want. Music as an art form is evolving, deal with it.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
It's hip to think vinyl is superior, but current studies by me and my vast collection of both records and CDs tells me that CDs, if they aren't loudness wars victims, still sound better. Maybe I just need a $2000 turntable though.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
I've downloaded some nice needle-drops from the internet, yet I don't really think I'll find myself buying the high quality equipment required to play records nicely and/or record them nicely.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
Whoa... Deja vu.

Considering that this could easily have been the second time that iTunes crapped out on me, purchasing music in physical format could be considered a surefire means of backup for one's digital library as well. Unless your house burns down or your entire CD/vinyl collection goes missing, that is.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
Or your CD gets a nice fat scratch on it.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
In which case I believe it's legal to download a torrent (although I may be wrong (and I probably am)).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »
Definitely not legal, and debatably ethical -- consider that when torrenting, you're not only downloading but also distributing to untold dozens of other people, most of whom probably don't own the original CD.

Also illegal, but more ethical IMO, and less likely to get you caught (don't forget that one woman who got fined like five million dollars for sharing 24 songs -- would you be able to afford a good enough lawyer to fight the RIAA?), would be to download it off of YouTube if it's up there and convert the resulting MP4 or FLV file with WinFF (this also has the benefit of letting you know exactly what song you're getting beforehand, and ensuring that it pretty much can't possibly be a virus). If you're an audiophile, you'll usually notice a drop in quality, but a true audiophile would already have five factory-sealed vinyls of the song down in their wine cellar and wouldn't have to worry about something like this anyway.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »
When did CrossEyed7 become Mr. Melee??
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 01:32:21 AM »
And turn into a master of ridiculously overblown hyperbole?
Buy CDs and rip them yourself. If your CD gets scratched, take it and get it resurfaced. And be more freakin' careful with your stuff.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
Or the alternative: Obtain your music however you want and accept any consequences that may arise as a result. If the FBI tosses a gas grenade through my window, I'll know [darn] well it's because I've illegally downloaded a lot of music (and hopefully not because I've been framed for a real crime).
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
I once heard the odds of dying falling out of bed are greater than getting caught by the RIAA for music piracy.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
Actually Glorb, I'm with you there. If you're going to download music, at least don't pay for it. If I'm going to pay for music, I better get a physical manifestation of the recording.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
Oh, but I do often pay for downloaded music. Just when I can't get it off a torrent or if I feel it's especially deserving of my cashola (the vast majority of my indie/underground songs were downloaded legally).
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
Man, I buy music sometimes, but I don't really care too much about ethics. I mean, mosts artists make money from merchandise and ticket sales anyway. Most money related to music sales go straight to the pocket of execs who choke the artists free of their creative freedom in most cases anyway.

Also, downloading music from YouTube is a terrible idea whether or not you're a total audiophile because it sounds like crap regardless. It's like putting this in the Louvre

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »
Long ago, I was considering downloading a fan-made music video for Ignorance is Bliss... but then I decided to buy Jellyfish Best! off Amazon instead. 20-something songs and only about three or four I don't like.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print