Print

Author Topic: AVG/iTunes Virus  (Read 7013 times)

« on: July 24, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
Smooth one, Apple.

Upon attempting to open iTunes earlier today, I was greeted by a message stating that required components of the program were missing and that it would have to be reinstalled. This was followed by an AVG Anti-Vurus warning which claimed that hundreds, if not thousands of iTunes-related files were infected with a mysterious "Trojan horse small.BOG". Attempting to reinstall iTunes only produces that ever-ominous "fatal error" warning, and attempting to quarantine the infected files seems pointless since they replicate faster than one can manage them.

This "small" trojan has been spreading like wildfire amonsgt iTunes users; particularly those with AVG. As depicted by several Apple Forums disussions, even only the most technically-savvy among us can offer even temporary solutions. Has this affected anyone else in TMK?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:07:34 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
I have AVG but not iTunes, so not me.  My dad's computer might be a different story...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
"lolololol itunes is already a virus"

Doesn't surprise me that someone would attack the client, as popular as Apple's whole music line seems to be.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't use iTunes.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »
Strike that, neither does my dad.  I guess everyone I know is alright (not that I know many people).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
I've got both AVG and iTunes. While I generously update the former I've long since ignored updates for the latter, as they can take at least an hour (slowing everything down in the process) and rarely add anything more than behind-the-scenes tweaks while simultaneously pushing superflous crap like Safari and Genius. The last version that added anything decent was the one that made albums, etc. viewable on a separate screen instead of just a whole list of songs.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:52:35 PM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »
Interestingly enough...

I uninstalled iTunes.dll when the sadly-mistaken folks at AVG prompted me to do so, but thankfully my (and everyone else's) music files are still intact. At any rate, it's apparent that the problem is on the anti-virus system's part, not Apple's as was previously speculated. The best part is that both companies are probably losing millions of dollars and credibility points as we speak.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »
Yeah, I use iTunes all the time. No problems for me.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
You should use this opportunity to go ahead and switch to Winamp.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
Yeah, no. I uninstalled Winamp when I realized how hard it was to do simple things like make playlists and sync up my iPod.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
i.e. things losers do

Honestly though, it isn't hard to make playlists in Winamp. At all.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 01:09:14 PM »
i.e. things losers do

Losers like to listen to music?
every

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
Well, AVG has issued an announcement stating that their latest update mistakenly read iTunes files as viruses. Most iPod owners, with myself included, have things back up and running without a hitch.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Ballin'.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
iTunes is lame. I buy all my music in hard form. CDs are nice, but even better are Vinyl records. I truly detest the modern trend to allow people to only buy the "songs they like" from iTunes (i.e, the songs they hear on the commercial radio stations). It is lamentable that with time, the album as we know it may no longer exist.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print