Print

Author Topic: I need help(Not game help)!!  (Read 5940 times)

« on: July 24, 2002, 12:43:16 AM »
I would like to create a mario game oh so badly, but the game creators are like all to complicated! I downloaded Dark Basic, and well lets just leave it at I am too dumb to understand how to do anything with it. I want a simple(and free)Point and click! I am not as smart as I thought I was!!!!!!! Thanks! Ciao!

Super Mario, Super Mario, Super Mario
World.
Super Mario World! Its a blast from the past! In Super Mario World, Ya got to move fast!
Mario and Luigi are doin'' what they can,
Yoshi and the Princess are givin them a hand!
Super Mario
World
Super Mario World! Its a blast from the past! In Super Mario World, ITS A BLAST!
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 09:58:27 AM »
Dark Basic has countless tutorials, examples with descriptions, and a huge help file besides. Just start with the first programming tutorial in the introduction and just learn the Basic commands(crude pun here). The sprite and image commands are fairly easy to learn, but you need to be good at using variables and arrays effectively to make a good Mario game. You need the following to get started.

1. Get some Mario sprites. The Shyguy Kingdom has loads, but they have to be arranged into a sprite sheet

2. Make a sprite sheet. Sprites are more effectively loaded if they are in perfect rows and columns.

3. Load images into similar tens places. Sprite frames will be easier to keep track of if you put them in similar tens places.

Then you need to make a Mario movement engine. This was the most trouble for me because I had multiple Marios on screen and blocks above and below, and the gravity would sometimes be more than the player's height in speed and so he would fall through floors.

Or you could just try The Games Factory for ease in game making, but some things like Internet play and 3D effects just can't be done with it.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 03:31:20 PM »
I went with the Games Factory. Now I need some Mario "Hoots". I searched TMK but I found none that were what I am looking for. I need a basic Mario "Yahh!"(Sound he makes when he Jumps in SSB). If you could help me(Anyone for that matter) It will be greatly appreciated! And CashCrazed, I am too dumb to figger out Dark Basic, so I'm just gonna forget about it. Thanks! Ciao!

Super Mario, Super Mario, Super Mario
World.
Super Mario World! Its a blast from the past! In Super Mario World, Ya got to move fast!
Mario and Luigi are doin'' what they can,
Yoshi and the Princess are givin them a hand!
Super Mario
World
Super Mario World! Its a blast from the past! In Super Mario World, ITS A BLAST!
He who fills his pockets with the rocks of misdeeds shall surely sink in the River of Good Fortune!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 12:20:20 AM »
lmao,  I have both programs, but I too am too dumb to use either. well, the Games Factory is pretty easy, I just dont know how to set it so you lose a life when you run into something! (Help would be great!!! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

you really dont know, do you??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 02:29:00 PM »
I'll most likely be able to help with any questions concerning The Games Factory, though perhaps the general chat forum would be a better place to discuss it.

Anyway:  subtracting a life upon hitting an enemy should be simple.  You'd just go into the event editor, create the condition of "(Player) collides with (enemy)," then add the action "Subtract 1 life" under the "Player 1" column.

I'm not exactly sure how experienced you are, or how you go about making the events, but I can tell you that the step-through editor, if you're using it, won't get you anywhere.  It is merely a crutch, helping to get used to simple conditions and actions; the event editor is the real heart of a game.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 10:31:20 PM »
great...obviously I have no experience...but how would you fix it so the player gets killed at 0 lives? or make the game end at 0 lives?

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 02:32:47 PM »
You can test for the condition of "player's lives reach zero," or you can just compare the "player lives" value to zero.  You can set up these conditions (if you don't know) by making a new condition in the event editor, and looking in the "player 1" category.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 03:35:07 PM »
well, thanks to you I just made my own game! unfortunately, the characters are all coloured squares but meh. it was just a test game. But theres one thing I keep noticing. I can move the character (and other objects) off the screen. do you know how to fix this so they dont go off the screen? I figure I could always put something like a brick wall all around the screen, and label it as an obstacle, but is there another way?

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2002, 04:46:44 PM »
Yippy Skippy! I know how to create a computer game!!!!! After countless trials and errors, I have figured out how to create a title screen and then go to the next stage!!! And I'm still looking for Mario "hoots". I'm creating a Mario Bros type game caled "Mario Bros RAW". Instead of flipping the critters over, Ya have to beat em up! You get 5 pieces of health and 3 lives, and the critters attacks damage will vary from each one.
Shellcreeper- 1
Fighterfly- 2
Side steppers- Still under debate(maybe 4)
Koopa troopa(upright shellcreeper)- variable(depends on color, Green-1, Red-3 Blue-3, and Yellow-5)
Mouser-4
The stages will take place in a sort of modified vesions of the sewers(such as the first one, which will take place in NY City 2nd one Manhatten, Third in Brokeland, and finally the last one takes place in The Mushroom Kingdom), and there will be no POW blocks(yet). I'm also working on a bounus game in which a question is asked and the players will get either a health power up or a 1-up. And Im gonna try making the coin grabbing mini-game. When I get all the bugs worked out(major one being why Mario and Luigi fall through the platforms) it'll be ready to be tried by people other than me! Any questions, comments, complaints(they will be absorbed then forgotten), suggestions, please tell me! Thanks! Ciao!

Edited by - Super Mario 123187 on 7/26/2002 3:48:25 PM

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2002, 07:23:37 PM »
does anyone know how to fix it so that when a ball leaves the screen, it reappears in the centre?

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Edited by - smb allstars master on 7/26/2002 7:04:30 PM

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2002, 09:14:02 PM »
I have the same problem with them falling through platforms; for you, you probably need to set some properties in bricks, I dunno, (I haven't used TGF, I've only heard of it), but for me I think it's a bug in the gravity formula.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2002, 10:19:55 PM »
I know how to fix that falling through platforms thing in the games factory. Just set the objects to platform, then go into the event editor and set it so that when group.player collides with the object. then go under player and select stop. easy.....in TGF....

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 10:48:07 PM »
OK!!!!!! Thanks!!!! I still need some good Mario "Hoots", And I need to know how do I create animation say like for an attack or something.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2002, 12:29:42 AM »
To keep people from walking off the level, say when "Player1 (or whatever) leaves play area on [whatever side]", associate "stop" with that.

I don't have a signature.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2002, 03:02:07 PM »
Ummmm....does anybody know how I can make a sound or Midi file loop?

Print