Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 476053 times)

« Reply #1725 on: March 21, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
Back to the games: What is Boom-Boom (the miniboss that appeared in the Fortresses of SMB3)?

I've done some thinking and have decided that he is possibly a snapping turtle or some kind of weird spiny/turtle hybrid (kinda like Bowser: Boom-Boom has spikes on his shell too).

Thoughts?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1726 on: March 21, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
Given the vast disparity in appearance amongst Bowser's children, Boom-Boom could easily be a fellow member of Bowser's particularly bristly denomination of bipedal turtle-beasts, right? The entire Koopa Troop is seemingly composed of turtles morphed to various degrees, even up to the point of those poor, disfigured Spikes...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1727 on: March 21, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
Boom-Boom was, indeed, very Bowser-esque. Probably just another Koopa Klansman (well, technically, they all are)...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1728 on: March 21, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Spikes are also called "Mace Penguins" so ... no idea what that tells us.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1729 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
Would "Mace Penguins" be their Japanese translation? In that case, one would assume that Spikes would bear a closer resemblance to  those despicably adorable flightless fowl found on Yoshi's Island... but, of course, anything goes with Mario. On that note, have a very special 1-up burger. I made them just for you. Tee hee.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1730 on: March 22, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
Spikes are also called "Mace Penguins" so ... no idea what that tells us.

That's poor localization. Both Spike and "Mace Penguin" are known as Gabon in the JP releases. A lot of the enemies in Yoshi's Island are given wierd-arse localized names. Georgette Jelly? Piscatory Pete? I mean...come on!

(For the record, "Piscatory Pete" is really just a Porcupuffer. Go figure. :P)

« Reply #1731 on: March 22, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
Spike kind of looks like a shorter version of Lemmy.  Kinda makes you wonder about the relation that these bad guys have with Bowser...are they nephews?  Spawns?  Genetic mutations?  Even Boom Boom kind of resembled a Koopa Kid...maybe he was a rejected one or something.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1732 on: March 22, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
They're obviously not related. There's just many different varieties of Koopa. Is it that hard to determine that?

« Reply #1733 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
I've always been under the impression that Boom-Booms were more of a species than a single character. Otherwise, he must be one resilient bugger to withstand exploding into a question-marked orb umpteen times.

« Reply #1734 on: March 22, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
Yeah, I always just assumed all enemies were species too, since there are different varieties of each (take Pirahna Plants for instance).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1735 on: April 16, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
Yeppers...

And with that, onto the next question, folks!

Does anyone here suppose that Mario has excessive amounts of body hair, as the man is depicted in much fan art? Mario's uncannily smooth exposed forearms in Super Mario Sunshine may seal the debate for some, but I'm willing to argue that fact, mainly because I want to think that Mario is a four-foot tall sasquatch of an Italian... but yeah. Anyone?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1736 on: April 16, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »
I'm a 6'1" Italian teenager and I have plenty of body hair. If anything, they just didn't bother to render it because...that would kind of kill the lighthearted cartoony spirit of Mario's franchise.

You could've picked a better Mariological topic to discuss you know. (-_- ;

« Reply #1737 on: April 17, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
Topic change: Who's voice do you think would come out of the message blocks in SMW? Do you think there would be a different voice in the message blocks in YI?

Is there even a speaker attached to the SMW message blocks, or is there a small character sitting inside them, waiting until the block is punched to deliver the message..?

« Reply #1738 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
I don't think Mario with body hair would sell games. I cannot imagine playing Super Mario Galaxy with a furball running around. All Mario needs is the mustache.
And it's obvious that those Message Blocks are actual living things. They blink and move their mouths, and if I'm not mistaken, they actually made noise (garbling at best) when hit in YI.

And oh yeah. If you actually remember who I am, I am back. The dude has returned.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #1739 on: May 21, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »
...And with that, the Dude is gone. Again.

Print