Ambidextrous: both equally
2 (5.9%)
Primarily left: my left hand is more coordinated, but my right is stronger
4 (11.8%)
Left
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Print

Author Topic: Handedness  (Read 9298 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
Which hand is dominant for you? Do you tend to use one hand for certain things, but the other hand for other things? How about your dominant eye or foot or other part of your body--as in, do you tend to use one side over the other?

As for me, I'm left-handed, but I use my right hand for many things that some lefties tend to still use their left. I would say my left hand is more coordinated, but my right hand is stronger.

I use my left hand for writing, drawing, cutting, washing, brushing my teeth, throwing, using untinsels, and most other things that require coordination or skill.
However, I use my right hand for using a mouse; I cannot use a mouse well with my left hand. I've noticed I mark my place with my right hand (rather than left) when reading--you know, dragging your finger down with the line of text one's on? I also tend to use my right hand when I'm multi-tasking, such as using a calculator while writing, drinking while eating or writing, shaving while washing, etc.

Some things I have to do the same way as a right-handed person would, and if I try doing it differently (i.e. using a "left-handed" version, if there even is one), I'm horrible with it--like playing video games, using a camera, playing an instrument, using a mouse, turning pages, etc. (Yeah, most of those things are done with two hands, anyway.)

Other things I do ambidexrously; I use whichever hand is free or closer, whichever is more convenient. Eating, drinking, using a remote/calculator/CD player/other device that involves pushing buttons without "skill", and turning on switches are some examples. Sometimes I do things where I switch hands I use to make the task easier, like painting my nails, brushing/blow drying my hair, or putting on mascara (haha, all girly tasks XD).

Other tendencies:
  • I hold the phone with my left hand to my left ear
  • When using one eye to look at things, I use my left one
  • I hold things in my right hand or my left arm, but usually not the other way around
  • I usually carry my purse on my right shoulder, but sometimes I switch
  • I can raise my left brow while lowering my right one, but not the other way around
  • My right hand is better at cracking its knuckles than my left (when I don't use the help of the other hand)
  • I kick with my left foot
  • I wink with either eye ;)

I like the way game controllers are designed: directional control with the left hand (free-coordination?), pushing buttons with the right (more strength, controlled-coordination?).
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:32:27 PM »
Let's see:

Left: Eating, Throwing/catching/hitting, Most other things that require precision (shaving, brushing teeth, etc.),
Right: Writing, Billiards, Racquet sports, Mouse. That's really it. Though I was probably naturally meant to write left-handed, but that got changed by my grandpa and now I can't write with either hand very well at all.
~I.S.~

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
Left, with pretty much everything (except the mouse, that's the right hand).
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:00:14 PM »
Right handed. Come to think of it, how much DO I use my left hand? Just in this general vicinity, I'll do some tests.
There is no difference between drinking this unidentified Kool-Aid when I use either hand. It's hard to use the N64's control stick with my right hand. It's nearly impossible to use my computer's mouse with my left. This sentence was typed only using my left hand, and it took 33 seconds. This sentence was typed only with my righ hand, and it took 28 seconds. This sentence was typed with both hands, and it took 13 seconds. Fascinating!
Anyway, I really wish I were ambidextrous. I never read a rule saying I couldn't be; maybe if I practiced for a really long time, I'd be able to write with my left hand.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
Looks like "right" has the upper hand in this poll.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
I'm a righty.
I only watch [adult swim]

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:30:33 PM »
Ha ha ha, Deezer.

I'm right-handed.  Myup.

I know sometimes people desire to be abmidextrous, but I've heard that naturally and completely lacking a dominant hand is a sign that there's a connection abscent in the brain.  And without the hands having more specific roles, it often becomes more difficult for them to work together.
(This is coming from hearing about my friend's friend, who, while equally able in either hand, was helpless at handling a video game controller.)

Mind you, I'd actually ONLY heard the above from my friend, so it may not be accurate.
Go Moon!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 03:59:48 PM »
I'm a lefty. Heck, I can't even see with my right eye (please don't ask). The only things I use my right hand for is using scissors and snapping my fingers.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »
I use my right hand to write, but my left hand can curl 45 pound dumbbells, while my right can only curl 40 or so.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
I'm right-handed, my left hand can hardly do anything besides help me type this post. o_O
It gets on my nerves knowing that my right hand is more capable than my left, because I feel so weak when using my left hand, while my right does the majority of the work. I suppose it's some kind of "un-even feeling" I get.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »
I'm primarily right. I'm right-handed, but my left hand is stronger (at least when it comes to cocking airsoft guns).
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »
It is werid. I am a lefty when it comes to writing. However, I bat in baseball right, and I can only throw a baseball right. However, I shoot a basketball equally well with both hands, and I am good at dribbling with my left hand. Also, I am able to throw a frisbee with both hands. I kick primarially with my right, but I can also use my left foot to kick when it comes to kickball. Needless to say, I wear my watch on the right hand, not the left, so as not to interfere with my writing.  Also, I eat left-handed, that is, I hold th efork with my left hand. However, when I'm cutting I cut with my left hand as well.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 09:23:36 PM »
Right Handed. I use my right hand to do most of the things I do. I use the right hand to hold the phone (but I use my shoulder more often). I eat with my right. I drink with my right. I pick up things with my right. I eat a burger with both.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 09:27:25 PM by pt_peach »
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 09:28:24 PM »
Spoilarz:  This topic reminds me of Gattaca.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 11:18:29 PM »
Ah! Many people have commented on how odd it is that I wear my watch on my right wrist--they say that if I wore it on my left, I could glance at it while using my right for something like writing. But the thing is, I can put it on my right in seconds using my left hand for all but holding it in place... Putting it on my left takes about a minute, with much struggling, centering, and the use of my knee to help hold it. Taking it off of my left wrist is a hassle too.
If I notice anything else my left hand does surprisingly better than my right, I'll report it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print