Print

Author Topic: Mario Fan-Game. Now Hiring.  (Read 9155 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 10:58:29 AM »
What exactly do you mean!? I'm not a total genius when it comes to Game Maker. Oh, and I'm thinking about posting a new thread to specifically adress MIDI composers.

Edited by - Maxtream on 8/17/2005 9:59:30 AM
We''re on the moon? You mean, the one that''s up in the sky?
~ Peach having a "blond moment" in Paper Mario:TYD

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 06:47:36 PM »
"Spooky Scarey Castle" seems kinda long. "Creepy Castle" is one suggestion, but it might be cliche, and "Nasty Necropolis" is another suggestion in case it is a graveyard setting.

I am a fan of alliteration in area names.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune."

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 8/17/2005 5:51:35 PM

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 06:52:09 PM »
You can make an underwater world. In some areas you can make it harder by putting fire on top. Have like a town under water

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »
A good, short name for a town underwater would be "Sea City".

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 07:29:38 PM »
Ooo, I like the necropolis idea! I'll work with that name. Oh and I have decidd to add two new levels a Flowery "Beggining" Type level and a Tropical Island level. Their tentative names are...

Petal Palette Fields
Sunsplash Tropics

I'm trying to invoke the suggestion of color or something visual in the level names. Deep Blue Aqualand is sort of a sunken city type level. Has anyone decided on doing artwork yet? I'll be posting a Background/Foreground list soon. Just tell me what level's artwork you will do. I suggest using Paint Shop and making it a BMP file. And thanks for the level suggestions! Still need people to do MIDIs.  

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 07:55:35 PM »
Alright Artists. Here is the list of Backgrounds. I may end up doing the tiles myself just to save time so you just need to worry about the backgrounds. Cut and paste the level you wish to make the background for and put it in your next post. I figure that more than one person can do this since it will give the worlds some variety. Oh, just to clarify, a Necropolis is like a cemetary...I think, well it is now. And Deep Blue Aqualand is like atlantis in water filled cavern. Quicksilver Castle is like a weird dimensional castle in a screwed up void...if that gives you a good mental picture. Rainbow Railway is like a train in the sky, and I can provide some good graphic effects in game maker for that, just have something sky like. Ice White Island is like a glacier at night. And the others are pretty much explainatory. When you are done with the background image jus temail it to me and I'll put it in the game. You will have your (real or online, your choice) name put in the credits and I will send you a copy of the game when its ready or I can put it online. However I do expect a degree of quality work and basic skill of paintshop like programs. So good luck! I can't wait to see what they look like. (and remember, this isn't a contest, by submitting something you have put time and effort in will not be compared in terms of artistic skill to other submiters of images. You all rock.) And without further adou, the list!

Petal Pallete Fields
 Green Green Forest
 Hot Hot Oasis
 Icewhite Island
 Deep Blue Aqualand
 Greymist Mineshaft
 Skyhigh Summit
 Rainbow Railway
 Fireburn Volcano
 Nightblack Necropolis
 Starry Spaceride
 Sunsplash Tropics
 Quicksilver Castle

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »
This game sounds very cool. I really like the story.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 09:55:30 PM »
Thanks. It's nice to hear encouragement. I really want this project to work. Tell anyone you know who is into Mario to come to this thread and see if they can contribute anything. Especially Artwork.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »
Quicksilver Castle should have an art/cubist theme, like in Picasso's paintings, since it is a weird, messed-up area.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune.

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 8/18/2005 7:50:05 AM

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 10:08:33 AM »
Wow...thats a good idea. Do you want to do any artwork for they game nintendoexpert89? You do seem to have alot of good ideas.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 11:19:12 AM »
I'm not much of a sprite/background artist, and I'm not very familiar with Game Maker. I can draw characters and scenes for promotional artwork very well, like the artwork you see in game manuals. I am also practicing to be a game designer. So, I can help develop ideas for game play and layout, and draw any promotional artwork.

Here's a sample my artwork of ????? disguised as Mario from PM:TTYD.

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 8/18/2005 10:24:04 AM

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »
BIT THATS SOOOOOO GOOD! Hey, maybe you can design the game's title screen and cover? Still have to think of a name. I think I may go with Super Mario: Star Gallery.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »
I could probably do some MIDIs if I wasn't busy with my own fangame right now. If you've gotten to the "Final Challenge" (cheat mode to level 72 if you haven't), I wrote that music myself.

Can't help ya with artwork though, I suck too bad at that. You can tell because virtually all the graphics in my game are sprite rips and recolors.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 06:27:42 PM »
Nightblack Necropolis and Petal Pallete Fields look like they would be interesting to do.
I confess, I know nothing of game design. How big should the backgrounds be, and what file type?

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »
File type, BMP. Visually, they should be moderatly big but not huge. If you have worked with game game maker before, about hight 400 width 700...I hope I got those numbers right. Then lets see, 6 by 6 inches. Thats pretty moderate? Oh, and whoever asked about MIDIs, you don't have to do all of them, I'm asking for around one to two per person (more if they want to) but you can just do one. I would at least like 1 MIDI in the next three days from someone. Just tell me what level you want to compose the music for. Then e-mail it to me or put it on an accesible spot online like youshareit.com .

Print