Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1710225 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6420 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
Agree. It was annoying when I played Star Prince (a Star Soldier-style shmup in Retro Game Challenge) and was presented with a game over message when the life display still said one.

Mind you, some of that annoyance came from the fact that I reached that segment of the stage with six lives remaining, and lost all of them. Star Prince is rather brutal, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it. It plays like Star Soldier if Star Soldier was a Psikyo shmup, gives out extra lives like Battle Garegga, and makes me restart like Raiden Fighters Jet. But it's definitely not a very good example of the kind of stuff players had to deal with on the NES.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6421 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
I've been feeling bad because I lost my uncle on the 10th. He had a heart attack and passed away. It sprung up out of nowhere... really tragic. His funeral is later this afternoon, actually.

Pray for me, please.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #6422 on: February 15, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
I had a chance to get Super Paper Mario today.

...then my sister had to be a butt and say that it was to much...so I had to get Pikmin...again. :(
I don't see why we can't have links or images in this.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6423 on: February 15, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Probably not the best post to follow Trainman's with.

« Reply #6424 on: February 15, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
Indeed. That sucks, Trainman...

Pray for me, please.
Will do.

so I had to get Pikmin...again.
"Again"?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6425 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »
yes, again, I had rented it before.

and trainman, I will pray for you some more. Sorry, I didn't see your post at first.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:36:42 PM by waddle_doo »
I don't see why we can't have links or images in this.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #6426 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:42 AM »
That brings me back to an interesting conundrum I've thought about for a while. The last number of lives before a gamer reaches a game over in some games is 1; while, it's 0 in other games. Which way is better? I personally think it should be 0, because the life currently in use isn't an extra.
I completely agree with you and for the same reason.

Although when my nephew was playing Super Mario Galaxy awhile ago, I was secretly hoping he would get a game over at 1. Why? Because he was being a brat. The only reason I even let him play is because his mother called to tell us to stay put so she can pick him up and I was getting sick of his "subtle" hints that he wanted to play the game...

"Boy, Super Mario Galaxy looks really fun."
"I''d really like to play Super Mario Galaxy."
"I sure hope I can borrow Super Mario Galaxy sometime."

Imagine hearing this constantly. That kid isn't allowed to play my Wii anymore and I'm certainly not going to lend him SMG either. Besides, he has a lot more games for his Wii than I do.

Wow. I just wanted to reply to a message and I ended up ranting about some 7-year-old. The ANGST Thread does that to you I guess.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6427 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
It depends on if it's extra lives x [n] or total lives x [n]. Personally I think the psychological impact of having 0 is more powerful than having 1.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6428 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »
the psychological impact

Heh. Yeah, if the game uses zero as the last life, it's like the game is telling us we have no life.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6429 on: February 16, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
That's totally not what I meant at all.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6430 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
I know. That was my pathetic attempt at humor.

What I don't get is that in some games (the DKC series, for example), the life counter stops at 99, but you can have more than 99 lives (I think DKC allowed 128..?) It can be kinda confusing to lose a life at 99, but still have 99..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6431 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
They didn't expect anybody to get that many, and 128 is simply as high as 16 bits.

Something like that.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6432 on: February 17, 2010, 07:09:38 AM »
and trainman, I will pray for you some more. Sorry, I didn't see your post at first.

Nah, it's okay.

Thanks everyone. It's been especially tough since I worked for him for three months and me, my brother, and him had tons of hilarious moments together. It was very hard to walk down the aisle towards the casket knowing he was in there... and that I didn't go to the viewing/wake, and that I hadn't seen him in weeks prior to his death.
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6433 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
Sorry for your loss, Trainman.

This is fairly unsettling.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #6434 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Glorb's Custom Title has me worried... How long has it been like that?

Glorb was temporarily banned. He should be back in two days, and (at that point) I may change his tag back.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Print