Print

Author Topic: Can Mario survive? And Nintendo for that matter?  (Read 2194 times)

« on: May 15, 2001, 07:46:25 PM »
Well, right now, there are three competitors in the console gaming market, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft(If you didn't know, Sega has since pulled out, but they will make games for other systems). I feel like this will wage a video game war. Why, you ask? Each competitor has enough to fight against each other, and make it so the video game market may sink a bit, and maybe even start a third video game crash (the last being in 1984). Now I may sound too harsh, but this MAY happen. Of course, the video game market may prosper in the next few years. We just don't know. It would effect Mario, that's for sure, and other mascots.

What's your opinion of this? Do you think that we will have a second Reinnisance from the three competitors, or a collapse of the video game market? Be sure not to yell or rant on for no reason, since I won't like it.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2001, 10:04:02 PM »
Well Bowsa, I don't know what will happen (all I know is that E3 is tomorrow! Woo-hoo!), but I think that the consoles will prosper and it will be a Renaissance.

However, keep in mind that for each generation of gaming, the prices for the games and consoles keep going up. $400 is way too much for a console, which is PS2's asking price. In the next decade or so, it might rise to $700!

So when the prices get unbearable, even for the lowest-priced system (currently Nintendo, thank goodness), that is when we will see a market crash.

btw, did you know the 3D0, back in the day of the Sega Saturn I believe, was priced at $700? No kidding! I heard it off somewhere.
To make things even worse, none of the games were good. The better console was something like $200 or $250. Talk about a landslide!

The 3D0 was Atari's last stand in the console market, and not hard to see why, probably because they planned for it to be the ultimate console at an unheard-of price.

It''s hard to save the world when you''re a penguin in wizard clothing.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2001, 04:18:59 AM »
$700? no system is worth that much, not even $400 ( points a finger of shame to sony ) well your right about one thing it is deffiently going to be a renissance, i miss the good old days were consouls came with a free game based off there mascot...sigh

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2001, 09:41:57 AM »
Yeah, I remembered how disappointed I was when the N64 didn't come with a free game OR an RF-whatever adapter to actually play it at home!

And back in those days, games were priced at around $30 and a handful of them were great. But remember, the best games are the ones that are the most fun. In that case, the early systems would be a slightly better bet than the later systems.

It''s hard to save the world when you''re a penguin in wizard clothing.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print