Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 13: HUB  (Read 7667 times)

« on: May 04, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Which Mario game had the best HUB? If your not sure what a HUB is, it's like a homeworld area, such as Galaxy's Observatory, and even Paper Mario 2's Rogueport.
Best:
Super Mario Sunshine (1)

A lot bigger then the other mainstream hubs, and filled with it's own quests.

Worst:

Mario is Missing (1)

Nominations:
Best bowser/fortress/castle music (4)
Best Mario Sports game (1)
(Nominations require 10 votes to become a reality)

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64
WEEK 8(Yoshi's Role): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 9(Intro): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 10(Ending): Paper Mario
WEEK 11(Races): Super Mario 64
WEEK 12(Non-Bowser bosses): Yoshi's Island

PM me if you have a nomination.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:22:12 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
Ah we've added worst now, I see (why is "hub" in caps?)...

Best: Isle Delfino, hands down.
Worst: Probably the Cosmic Observatory.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
I don't know.  The Mario Party games had fun things to see and do at their hubs.  But Mario Is MIssing and Mario's Time Machine had Bowser's castle for a hub!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
I'm tied between Super Mario 64 and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. I felt very at home in Peach's castle in both games (and both are used as the enemy base, in one time or another).

As for worst, I'd say Super Paper Mario. Traveling back and forth between Flipside and Flopside to get one item or something became annoying after a while, and going up and down floors over and over was a bit tedious. If they made it so that you can enter Flipside to the same point in Flopside, like if you were in Dyliss's place in Flopside and you switched, you'd end up in Saffron's place in Flipside, it would be better. There also wasn't a lot of secrets to be found compared to the last two Paper Marios, where you could explore forever and perhaps find something new each time.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »
Okay let's get one thing straight. The towns in SMRPG bear no resemblance whatsoever to a hub level. They aren't even connected to each other. Toad Town in PM could be called a hub but there isn't anything in SMRPG like that.

P.S. Hubcaps, lolroflskatescabbage.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:17:38 PM »
When I first saw "HUB" I read it as "HUD".  I guess Heads-Up Display could be another poll.

Best: SMS or SM64.  I liked the interactive elements.
Worst: SMG.  It makes sense with the theme of the game, but wasn't nearly as much fun as SMS or SM64. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
Best: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door's Rogueport for its style. Toad Town makes you think that aside from Bowser, there's just no bad anywhere out there in Mario's world. Then you see this town, which at first just seems absolutely horrible. Gang activity, pollution, graffiti (and not magical graffiti either), it's all there. Also, the Piantas were cool in this game and this game alone, being the mafia and all.

Worst: I'm afraid I may have to say Super Mario 64's Peach's Castle for its lack of life. There were no Piantas, sure, but also no Piantas I could annoy.

As for Flipside and Flopside, they're really annoying to navigate, but what can you expect? It's in 2-D.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

Worst: I'm afraid I may have to say Super Mario 64's Peach's Castle for its lack of life. There were no Piantas, sure, but also no Piantas I could annoy.

Come on, cut them some slack, it was there first time with 3-D and (I think) one of the first HUBs in a Mario Game.

Best: A tie between Toad Town and Rogueport. The two had a lot of activity and things to do. Even after beating the game you can just explore, talk to people, collect items and badges, ect ect.

Worst: The Observatory, too small and boring.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 02:21:42 PM »
Best: Isle Delfino
Worst: Comet Observatory.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
Hey, why is everyone capitalizing "HUB" like that?  It's not the initials for anything, is it?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
Best: Isle Delfino for sure

Worst: Flipside. It was as ugh as can be.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
Best: Cosmic Observatory. I really didn't like Delfino; I couldn't remember where anything was, and so a more menu-based hub was a nice change.

Worst: Flipside. It really should have been in 3D. Like Delfino, I couldn't remember where stuff was, but at least in Delfino you could get around fast. Flipside took forever to navigate.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »
Best: Super Mario Sunshine's Isle Delfino. You could do a lot of things there. It allowed for a lot of exploring.
Worst: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time's Princess Peach's Present Castle. I just really hated the place. It was unnecessarily big with a lot of empty rooms, and only one bloody shop. All of the time holes were spaced apart as much as possible, and you only needed to visit them once.

Then again, there were a lot of things I didn't like in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
I really don't have a preference on this one, so instead, I'll vote for the "best bowser/castle/fortress music" nomination.

Nomination idea: Wario's Role
Bowser and Bowser Jr: best villains EVER.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »
Best: Delfino, because it's just pleasant, and I love the music.
Worst: No opinion.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Print