Print

Author Topic: September 11th  (Read 10193 times)

« on: September 11, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »
Well, it looks like the 7th anniversary of the Twin Towers attack is here. All of you have heard of what happened, so, what did you do that had to do with 9/11 today? (What? There was Friday the 13th thread, plus, this is imporant) Did you venture to NYC and Ground Zero? Or did you just take a moment of silence in memory of those who died in the WTC?

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
I haven't done anything. It's been seven years since that day and morning over those lost at this point won't catch Osama Bin Laden.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »
Good point. Me personally, I still definitely think it was a sad and terrible event, but we're not still mourning over the Civil War, are we? I recall that last year, there was this air of "okay, five years is a good number to end the moments of silence and such on. Let's remember it, but move on"--one that I tend to agree with.

*In before the conspiracy theories start and this gets locked*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »
I thought about how I went on TMK and had printed out the page of tips for Mario Kart Super Circuit the night before.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »
I'm expecting someone to start a political discussion and this thing gets locked.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
I wore a red white and blue shirt and currently am but other than that it was like any other day.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »
I've said "Nine-Eleven" aloud in my best Dubya voice (which isn't saying much) several times so far today.
Go Moon!

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
Fifth has done the most productive thing today out of all of us.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »
Happy September 11th everyone!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »
When the announcement that we were to take a moment of silence to honor those who died in the attacks, my history class was in the middle of an essay about New England and Chesapeake, already completely silent. After the moment of silence ended to let us continue to be silent, a few of us laughed.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
I was sitting in class and had no idea what had happened. There were these tv's in every room (for what was known as channel one time during first hour) and usually, everybody just ignores them (it was usually old news anyway..).

We went to second hour, and all the tv's had come on in the five mintues it took to get people ushered into their next class. One of the guys who had seen what was going on said something like "Are you ready to go to war, Gents?"

I looked up at the tv and saw what was happening. Another one of my classmates said "That looks like a cool plot for a movie." and then the first guy said "That's not a movie. This is actually happening."

All we did was watch tv for the rest of the day in every class. Except for band. The director told us her bit about what was going on, said something about life going on, and then we practiced (there was a big marching competition coming up, I think..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »
I was in 8th grade when it happened. It was a small private school with no TV reception and hardly any students with cell phones, and the teachers didn't tell us until around 12:20. We all went into the high school room and prayed, and then our history teacher tried to get us to take a test. We joked that we were too traumatized, so she let us finish watching the Disney Robin Hood. Then after school, I got some shots at the doctor's.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:07 PM »
I was on the side of the building facing away from the NYC skyline. Therefore I was completely oblivious to anything going one. Then we got an announcement telling us that we just got hit by a "terrorist attack" (and I had no idea what that meant), prompting my teacher to just drop everything on the spot and send us home. I found out from a neighbor outside the school that "the twin towers fell down". Of all the things I've had to suspend my disbelief for, this was by far the hardest.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 08:04:44 PM »
I was in school of course, and I guess our teacher just informed us about what had happened. My mom took me home after school and I didn't really know what to think. I was too far away from New York to be scared, but I was pretty angry at the terrorists.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
I was in 5th grade at the time. We heard an announcement about 10-15 minutes after the first plane struck. Our principal told us that "something bad was ahppening to America" and to pray or otherwise think of the country. I didn't care and assumed it was like some sort of drill. Later in the day all the teachers had basically stopped teaching and we were watching TV about it. The teachers were pretty worried and some weren't taking it well. I do remember a friend of mine in 6th grade joking about it being a Communist attack.

That evening I remember being quite angry that our local Fox station wasn't showing its regular syndicated episode of The Simpsons. The were just showing the same videos of the towers collapsing and things burning, so what did I care? New York was just some place I didn't care about and had never seen.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print