Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 32688 times)

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »
Prefect Plank Galaxy?
Sometimes, I think Mario represents the 60s, but with italians.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
Silver Metaknight is the kind of person that makes games crappy.

You skip cutscenes and everything to get right to the game. They were put in there for a reason. You probably beat the game a bit faster than me because you skipped everything.

I dunno, I just don't understand it. When games have any cinematic element, I play it as if I'm showing off a tech demo or something.

Mario Galaxy- bust out some cool moves, let the viewers notice the beautiful detail and music in the game by taking it slow, not "GOTTA GET THERE!! BEAT THE GAME... MARIO IS PLATFORM GO TO A TO B!!! THATS ALL YOU DO AND SHOULD EVER DO IN A MARIO GAME YAY MARIO" like Meta Knight apparently does. Also, I don't display the pointer on-screen during opening cutscenes to galaxies and I never skip those, either. I also don't point the remote at the screen during flying sequences unless there are star bits that spring up. The only time I have the pointer on-screen during a planetoid transfer is if I have the mushroom that makes your life go to 6, or my life is less than 3...reason being, the life bar doesn't go away in that case, but, when you point the pointer over your life bar, it darkens and gets translucent. During flying sequences when I'm in basically no control of Mario, I don't want any HUD to be visible and obscure the view, so I point it there and fade my life bar out until I land again.

Grand Theft Auto IV- I hate when people just run and gun no matter what they're doing and then they're like "AWWWW UUUGH WHY WONT NIKO GET UP AND RUN!??!?!!" That's the reason people complain about why GTA should not exist and call it a "murder simulator." Also, they have to steal a car as soon as they get out of my apartment, floor it till they crash, chuckle, then just shoot people on the sidewalk and die...oh yeah, and repeat. When I play, I use all the cinematic camera types, I use the very nice cover system for gunfights, I drive slow so I can listen to all the in-car dialogue, and I watch every single cutscene, even if I've seen it before. Also, when everything is chill, I tend to drive legit, not like a crazed killer screaming, "NOBO-DEE F***S WITH MY FAM-UH-LEE. AHM COMMING ROMAN!!!!" <--Eastern Europe dialect

Forza 2- I drive super-legit and tend to be cinematic. Everyone else just floors it, slams on the brakes, and slides into a wall at about 120MPH, then chuckles about it. They see the car smoking, pulling to one side or the other, half the car is crushed in and the engine is cutting out and making no power....yet they still are puzzled and say "DURR.... IS YOUR CONTROLLER BROKE NAH OH WAIT... IS THE CAR ACTUALLY MESSED UP OR IS THAT JUST FOR SHOW???"

Mario Golf games- Yeah, this might be a bit quirky, but I always hold start after I hit the ball so the view isn't cluttered with HUD telling me conditions and how my ball's doing when I'm watching what it's doing. I might let go of it after it lands to see the distance, but that's all. Also, you could hide the HUD for yourself and COMs on Mario Golf, but you can't for COMs anymore on Toadstool Tour... what the crap? (Also, the taunts on TT are way worse than Mario Golf's good ones....but I'm already digressing too much... that'll be for another time).

I could go on and on...

Basically, judging from that, Galaxy 2 better have good cinematics and at least SOME story on par with Galaxy.... at LEAST. I am absolutely FLOORED by ANYONE who says that Galaxy had "too much story" or "too deep of a storyline" which is what half of IGN thinks for some *crazy* reason... maybe it's all the "casual" players saying that crap.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »
The cutscenes in Mario Galaxy are actually very good, I just skip the boring cutscenes such as the ones found in Final Fantasy.
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
Also, I don't display the pointer on-screen during opening cutscenes to galaxies and I never skip those, either. I also don't point the remote at the screen during flying sequences unless there are star bits that spring up.
So they wouldn't have to remove it in galaxies without it. Laziness, simple.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »
What?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »
So they wouldn't have to remove it in galaxies without it.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »
The cutscenes in Mario Galaxy are actually very good, I just skip the boring cutscenes such as the ones found in Final Fantasy.

Gotcha.

Also, Luigalaxy, wth are you talking about?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
Something about the star-pointer being used/not used in certain galaxies...?

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
He was stating that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to remove the pointer from levels in which it wouldn't be necessary, i.e. those without Pull Stars and the like.

On that note, who else agrees that the Star Bit-shooting mechanic is useless? Aside from being wasteful, it's only useful against enemies which aren't difficult anyway. Similarly, those Luma-feeding sequences could have been automated.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »
I don't really consider it wasteful because there's tons of Star Bits anyway. Regardless, I never really shot things anyway because I was making a subconscious effort to make the game a little harder.

Also, the pointer's necessary in all levels! Well, at least it's usable. And picking and choosing when it would appear would be fairly confusing.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
Suppose you're right about the pointer. Aside from collecting Star Bits, Pull Stars and cannons alone would make it necessary in most levels. Since Nintendo is undoubtedly intently reading this thread and catering to our demands as we type, I'd might as well list some other changes I'd like to see implemented in SMG2:

-Remove Star Bits altogether.
-Bring back 100-Coin stars.
-Replace Silver Stars with red coins.
-Stimulate the labor market through excessive job cuts.
-Give the characters dialogue which is less childish.
-????
-PROFIT!!!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
-Remove Star Bits altogether.
-Bring back 100-Coin stars.
-Replace Silver Stars with red coins.
-Give the characters dialogue which is less childish.

I agree 5200%.

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »
-Remove Star Bits altogether. -- I wouldn't care either way.

-Bring back 100-Coin stars. -- HECK NO. Purple coins allow for much more interesting, specific, and difficult challenges. It also frees up the designers wtih better control of where and when you can get health.

-Replace Silver Stars with red coins. -- 5 is better. 8 is overkill.

-Give the characters dialogue which is less childish. -- How are bunny rabbits supposed to talk?

-????
-PROFIT!!!
-- Someday you'll learn that adding to this every list is not necessary.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 01:11:33 AM »
Eh, sure, keep the purples, but also bring back the 100 coin stars just so we have some more stars to work for. Maybe get rid of the "collect 5 silver stars to make a star" thing because that's just annoying. I'd rather try and find 100 coins (which encourages more exploration) than "find 5 silver stars" that are all typically within viewing distance of each other.

If they pull another 120-121 star thing... then man, I dunno. If they can creatively integrate at least 150 stars without plastering the extra 30 on as "find and retrieve" type objectives, that'd be cool. Hell, if it was 200 stars, I'd probably start crying.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
Change what they will, keep what they will... all I ask is that there be a different number of stars than 120! How the heck did that become the magic number, anyway?

Print