Print

Author Topic: Albums/Songs that make your heart drop with nostalgia  (Read 2256 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
For me it'd be most songs from Bon Jovi’s Slippery When Wet. For songs I'd say Warrent's Heaven, Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home, or Cinderella's Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone). 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
I dunno about nostalgia but there are a lot of meaningless emo boy band songs that'll come up sometimes and I'll remember in 2002/3 when my sister and I still more or less shared a room, and she listened to this crap all the time, and I had a GameCube but no memory cards and played the same first shines in SMS over and over because I didn't have much better to do
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
I've heard that scent is the sense most evocative of memories, and I won't deny that it's true. However, if ever a personal runner-up could be nominated, I'd say it's sound--music, rather. Every album/song I hear, I remember an exact "era" in my life, and all the good and bad that went along with it. I won't go a whole lot into how I react to this type of nostalgia (I have this weird thing where all nostalgia sort of automatically makes me wistful, probably because of the whole "hindsight is 20/20 thing"), but just scrolling through my iPod is about as a potent as flipping through a photo scrapbook for me. Wolfmother's "Cosmic Egg"? My job as assistant janitor in my community college's gym building, listening as I swept the halls and cleaned windows. Eiffel 65's "Europop"? My 2006 trip to France, as well as Mario Kart DS--interestingly enough, more because my brother listened to it while playing than I did, and the association somehow transferred over. Pretty much anything by Coldplay or Blink-182? Well... most of you might remember what I was going through around the end of senior year. It's at the point now where I'll sometimes contemplate deliberately listen to an album for the first time in a certain location, so as to skew its significance in a favorable direction.

Shoot, all this stuff is a story waiting to happen... I've had a few sci-fi/fantasy stories involving songs in the works, but I think my vanilla-themed "Creative" Writing class could still benefit from all the realistic details I can get out of musical nostalgia. Ahh, listening to ABBA in my grandparents' house as a little kid, playing Harvest Moon on the Game Boy Pocket my grandpa got for some reason...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:26:39 AM »
I've a few albums that I have listened to recently that make me get as close to nostalgia, considering my age. Weezer's Pinkerton and Make Believe are heavily tied to early high school, SR-71's Now you see Inside and Jet's first album make me think of a few times in middle school. Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the Night and Elton John's Rocketman makes me think of when my sister and I would make up stories with our Beanie Babies as the players. The Dr. Mario Fever music brings me back to when I was young and my mother was big into the NES, and would play that while I fell asleep, while the whole of the Pokémon 2 b. a Master makes me think of waking up and watching the early Pokémon episodes, when they first came out in the US and they aired new ones every weekday morning, and I was given the deal that I would be dropped off at school after my sister so I could watch it, as long as I was completely ready to go when the episode ended. And man, I was super sad and confused when they switched to Saturdays after the episode where Charmander evolves.   
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Print