Print

Author Topic: The name of the Princess: Peach or Toadstool  (Read 2742 times)

« on: January 06, 2002, 10:48:23 AM »
We've been getting into some debates over this, but I'm glad more people agree it should stay as Toadstool. I'm in England and I don't care what they call her in Japan. It doesn't matter to me because they speak a different language.

Anyway, an interesting debate has been brought up (started by yours truly of course) here: http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=8183&topic=2005622

Check it and add your views if you so wish!

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 10:55:34 AM »
It really doesn't matter to me what she's called.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2002, 10:57:40 AM »
Look: It's Peach Toadstool. That is her name. Now, maybe for a few months after they made the transition so obviously clear in Super Mario 64, I still called her Princess Toadstool, but her name IS Peach, and I sure hope *** ******** *****'* ******* your brain enough for you to realise that.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end. There won't be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day. On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..

Edited by - frostbite on 1/6/2002 9:20:50 AM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2002, 11:06:44 AM »
I think her name is Peach. I don't know the real reason why. I think it must be easier to work with a shorter name. Think of how many spaces it would take to put Princess Toadstal in a name box. She's in many more games now. Like Mario Party, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Gulf, ect. Think of how huge her name would be compared to everbody elses. It's just respectful to call her Princess Toadstal. Since she is a Princess.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2002, 01:54:07 PM »
Her name is Princess "Peach" Toadstool, and it's been that way since SMB3. Shame on you all for not knowing that. Peach works better in Mario Party (which, believe it or not, somebody out there avtually still plays) and Mario Kart 64 and SSBM where five letters are better.

Evil Wario
Evil Wario

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2002, 09:12:53 PM »
That's technically inaccurate, because look at SMRPG. That came out a long time after SMB3 (towards the end of the SNES's reign) and they were still calling her Toadstool quite obviously then.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2002, 08:28:34 AM »
Its toadstool but peach is her nickname used in mulitiplayer selection so her name is not so long. Well, that is my theroy go ask Nintendo

how do i do crosses anyway?

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2002, 05:54:47 PM »
Well, Shigeru Miyamoto never liked the name Toadstool, so they decided to just name her by her first name.

Game Theory:
The Princess was a damsel in distress.  She liked to be thought of as royalty, but when she started participating in events such as Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party, etc.  She just wanted to be thought of as a normal person, so she asked everyone to call her by her first name, and now it sticks!

I call her Peach all the time now.  It's short and convenient, and it's nice to write "Peach" then spend an hour writing "Princess Toadstool" in a fanfic.  Peach all the way!

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2002, 08:57:43 PM »
avengah: Peach is her first name!  Toadstool is her last name!  OK?  It's not too difficult to understand!  So they didn't use her first name in America or Europe for a while! So what?  It has still ALWAYS been Peach in Japan, and was always SUPPOSED to be Peach in America and Europe, but the translators thought Toadstool would be cuter, or more fitting or something!  And look, she got a surname out of the deal!  So give it a rest!  This is nothing to get worked up about!
What'chu talkin' bout, Dextah?

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2002, 03:55:47 PM »
They did it to make the story more interesting in SMB1. "The only one that can save the MUSHROOM PEOPLE is Princess TOADSTOOL, daughter of the MUSHROOM King."

Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of heaven, you can justify it in the end. There won''t be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day. On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..

Print