Print

Author Topic: Debug mode on World & All Stars ROM?  (Read 2811 times)

« on: August 22, 2003, 10:16:47 PM »
I downloaded a SMW & All Stars ROM. During levels, you can select suits by pressing SELECT, and if you hold a button and press SELECT it gives or removes the Kuribo Shoe. Why is this? Is the ROM hacked or does it do this because it detects that it's not a real SNES being used to play it? I'm using ZSNES as the emulator.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 10:34:46 PM »
That's a testing feature that they forgot to take out of the game. It's also present in Super Mario All-Stars (without SMW).

Darn. Just another mess o’ Chocolate Pan Dowdy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 10:10:13 PM »
What's most odd is that it's not in ALL versions of the original Super Mario All-Stars. The debug cheat for SMB3 does *NOT* work on my real SMAS cartridge. However, I also have the ROMs of both SMAS and SMAS-SMW, and it works on both of them.

The only plausible explanation is that Nintendo fixed the issue in a second run of SMAS, but that when SMAS-SMW was developed, it neglected to use the appropriate patched source code for the game, and therefore reintroduced the debug cheat.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 10:59:40 PM »
That, and the single copy of the ROM circulating about the 'net is of the first version of SMAS.

Darn. Just another mess o’ Chocolate Pan Dowdy.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 06:19:57 PM »
Yes. I believe it was present in the very first early version of the game. I'm lucky. I have it. I believe it was in the ones given out by Nintendo for free for some sorta promotion.

Only a fool scoffs at the laws of Ushido. *Takes out Katana* The might of righteousness will overcome the wrath of evil. *Eats slice of Pizza* My cause is worthy. Meow! I am the Samurai Pizza Cat!
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print