No
7 (21.2%)
What's snaking?
9 (27.3%)
It's Cheating!
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Print

Author Topic: Snaking  (Read 11231 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »
It's the only way I drift.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 09:36:03 PM »
I just tried this out myself and it looks like you're wrong.  My record before a match was 41:28.  I raced three opponents.  One disconnected after the first race.  I won the match.  My record after the match was 44:28.  So, it looks like I got a win for the opponent who disconnected.

I raced a couple times, and got varying results. Here is my theory, which I believe to be true:

SCENARIO ONE

I checked my win/loss record. It was 199:44. I raced against three other people. During the race, one person disconnected. We finished all four races and got to the screen that says "Congratulations you win!" (I won.) I checked my win/loss afterward: 202:44.

SCENARIO TWO

I checked my win/loss. 202:44. I raced three people. In the first race, everyone disconnected. The screen came up that said "Your opponent has disconnected blah blah blah press A." I checked my win/loss. 202/44.

CONCLUSION

You only get credit for the disconnections when you reach the final page after the fourth race. If everyone disconnects beforehand, no wins for you.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »
I love how the last two options are the same as voting the second.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the info bobman.  This rases the question... does disconnecting still count as a loss for you if your opponent(s) never get to the match ending screen?

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 03:32:52 AM »
I said it was cheating. but it isn't really it's just a tactic that people that suck at Mario Kart use to be good.
All non-snaking matches I've had I won 7 vs 44......
LUIGI OWNS YOU!!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 05:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the info bobman.  This rases the question... does disconnecting still count as a loss for you if your opponent(s) never get to the match ending screen?

Hm. Good question. Too bad I can't think of an effective way to test it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 12:09:00 AM »
it's just a tactic that people that suck at Mario Kart use to be good.
Somebody who sucks at Mario Kart can pull off power slides every inch of the road? Define being good without snaking. Picking a good character/kart combo? Getting good items? Praying that your opponent bumps into obstacles?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36:55 PM »
I was reading a hard copy of Sirlin's excellent book, Playing to Win, when this section turned my thoughts to snaking.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with MKDS, but I have snaked on Figure-8 Circuit in time trial. I might have tried snaking on SNES Koopa Beach 2, but I don't remember. It's my boyfriend's cart, not mine.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
I find one problem with this poll. Snaking IS NOT cheating. It is simply a technique used in the game. It's not really anything different than using a lot of mini-turbos constantly. I do it most of the time though. I know real cheating. People send others to Pipe Plaza (The pipe stage in battle) with an action replay, and wait until they disconnect so they can get losses. Anyway, about the disconnect win/loss thing. I was racing some people and they disconnect after the first race, making it the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th race. I check my record and I have 3 more wins. The strange part is that this doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I get wins after they disconnect on the 2nd/3rd/4th race, and sometimes it just becomes a waste of time and I don't get anything.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »
I never play online, so I don't really have any reason to. Actually, I may do it sometimes in Ghost races, but I'm probably not doing it RIGHT...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »
It's not complicated. You just power slide back and forth to keep a constantly high speed. It's actually very easy. Actually, it's impossible for one to not be able to learn how to do it. Actually, I bet most of the people who label it cheating just don't know what the term means and could/would do it if they thought of it.
CHEATING
  • Going against the rules of play
  • Using an external device to manipulate the game
Snaking goes under neither of these. Anyone can snake. Seriously. It might be a bit tough to get the hang of it and to learn how to do it effectively, but EVERYTHING is like that. If you can't it's your own fault. Besides, even a snaker can lose to a scrub thanks to blue shells.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
To no one in particular:

Snaking is not cheating, for every reason Bird Person and other people in this thread has stated.

Your lack of snaking knowledge is merely due to your gaming n00bness and inability or unwillingness to learn how to play the game better.

If you are complaining about snaking being cheating, it's only because you don't know how to snake, and I find it hard to respect you as a gamer.

Print