Print

Author Topic: The Big N's Strategy  (Read 2676 times)

« on: July 12, 2004, 03:23:43 PM »
As we all know, Nintendo's strategy for the GCN has not been great with the majority of gamers. Sure, some adults and teens still like the old-school company that dominated the 80's with the NES and the 90's with the Game Boy series. But most adults and teens enjoy shooters that are online and games like GTA. In my mind, Nintendo's been living in the past with their little, purple box. Now I'm not trying to diss our system of the present, but look at the facts. People now adays don't really like Mario or Pikmin or most of these E-rated games. Sure, if someone that liked Xbox or something came up to you and said the GC sucks because it doesn't have any T-Rated games, you would probaly reply with some answer like "What about Metroid Prime?". The other guy would probaly reply with "That's it?!". You see, most of the Teen games on GC are Third-Party, like Namco and Ubisoft, companies like that. GC lacked, what now, I think is the most important part of most games now, Online Gaming. You see Microsoft get rich of the Xbox with Xbox Live. In my mind I truly believe that the Xbox is better than Gamecube just because of Live. Some of the games that they have, like MechAssault and Halo, are really addictive games online. In fact, three of the games I want this Christmas are for Xbox. Alot of us call Xbox fans biased because they don't like Nintendo, when really they have a reason: Too much kiddie games. Pikmin, Billy Hatcher, games like that have really taken down the GCN's gameplay to many people. I'm all for Ninatendo, but if they don't work out something good for the DS and Revolution, then they might turn out like Sega. I highly doubt that will ever happen, but they ways things look now, it just might happen. I see all these kiddie games like Pikmin 2 and others. Not that I don't like Pikmin, but it's not what alot of people want. They want Online Gaming. They want Halo. They want more mature games. Nintendo better get their priorities straightened out.

Mario Party 6?!!!!! Who saw that one comin''?

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 04:11:17 PM »
It seems to me that , because Nintendo did so well with their old games, they're going to run on nostalgia in between Zelda games.

Seriously, the game's rating is not something anybody cares about, or even reads.
Nintendo is not doing badly at all, and has enough "adult" games on it.

And "E" does NOT mean "kiddie". It means "everyone". Pikmin is not just for kids.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »
A) Halo isn't online.
B) There are plenty of "Not-kiddie" games for GCN, and a lot more coming out, which were showcased at E3, including Metroid Prime 2, Geist, Resident Evil 4, and, most notably, The Legend of Zelda.
C)I think it's about time people started putting their pointless editorials in the proper forum. (General Chat, you fools).
D) Online support does not make a system good. Most people don't even bother with going online because it's costly, time-consuming, and generally not worth it.
E) If be "kiddie", you mean "for everyone", then yes, the GCN is very "kiddie".
F) I'm not sure if you know this, but Sega is making more money now than ever before.
G) It's been confirmed that the DS will have online support of some kind.
H) If you dislike Nintendo so much, then why bother coming here? Seriously.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 02:05:20 PM »
"Most people don't even bother with going online because it's costly, time-consuming, and generally not worth it."

Isn't that the truth? Exception: TetriNET.

Today is alright 4 2night!

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
I believe I speak for me when I say that this is your stupidest and most idiotic topic ever, Killa. GameCube is 100,000,000,000 times better than X-Box. Online gaming holds little to no importance. Most of X-Box's games suck, so what would be fun about X-Box Live? Halo is just like any other shooter game and doesn't deserve "Game of the Year". Halo 2 will be no different than it's predecessor and eventually, everyone will get sick of Halo and X-Box will fall. The only thing keeping X-Box alive is Halo. The game isn't even exclusive to the X-Box, yet the only way that X-Box even made it to the market is because of Halo. Microsoft has already lost big bucks on the X-Box and the GameCube has been outselling the X-Box for 2 years. There's a reason why X-Box is in 3rd place in the console wars. It's because the X-Box is the embodiment of all things sucky.

"Deezer is a moron, he listens to people like you guys, well, actually, he''''s barely working on his site anymore, always busy with other crap. Sapphira and Chupperson feel like they own the forum, or at least they act it"~jon
Deezer was here.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »
I fully concur with nintendofreak on this one!

Proud to be an American!
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 10:55:04 PM »
Ok now. I'm don't dislike Nintendo. They are still my favorite biz in the video game company. I just like other games and I happen to think Xbox is better than GC. Online gaming is really taking people in. People are starting to get a little tired of 1 player mode. I'm not nescirally calling all E-rated games kiddy, but some of them, like Billy Hatcher, sort of deserve Childhood ratings.

Mario Party 6?!!!!! Who saw that one comin''?

Edited by - Killa of PS2 on 7/13/2004 9:56:45 PM

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 02:20:09 PM »
In Defense of Killa:

It is evident from his essay that he still really likes Nintendo - he's just commenting on their business strategy. Try not to be so harsh to those who take the time to explain their beliefs.

In Opposition to the Essay:

Gaming, movies, and books would be much better if so many creators of them didn't take the easy, cheap, effective way to entertain people: the classic conflict method of violence. Violence and high rating levels have nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay. Nothing. Halo would still be a very good shooter if you all played as giant yellow bunnies and shot green blobs (oh wait :P) at each other. The engine and multiplayer setup are good. Ultra-sellers like The Sims and Rollercoaster Tycoon and fantastic gems like Dance Dance Revolution show what nonviolent routes can produce. Violent conflict has its place, but far, far, far too many just use it as a cheap trick.

I'm also personally a big fan of online games. However, I think their domain is the PC and aren't needed on consoles.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »
Whoa, wait a minute. I've seen this before. I think you may have copy/pasted this from a previous thread of your (before you left) or you are just paraphrasing your old thread. I'm 100% I've seen this and I advise that you THINK before you post.

"Big doubles, no troubles!" ~Todd Lyons
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »
Yeah, ratings have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the gameplay. I think that people that only rent or buy "T" or "M" rated games because they are "mature" are complete retards. Just like Lizard Dude said, Halo would be just as good if you played as bunnies and it had an "E" rating. Ratings didn't even matter back in the 8-bit era! Wario Woods was the first NES game to even recieve an ESRB rating! I enjoy multiplayer online A LOT, and GameCube also has online play. LAN connections, anyone? What about Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, huh? I also believe that Halo is the only thing keeping Xbox alive because everyone with an Xbox I know seems to only talk about Halo, and not even recognize any other game for the system. Wheather the system be PS2, Xbox or GCN, neither of them are the best or the worst! The all have their own "abilities". I don't understand why people are so biased. Yes, Killa, PS2 and Xbox fans ARE biased. Too many "kiddie" games is no reson at all. I also believe that Some of us are biased, as well. It makes plenty of sense that Xbox has a ton of online games, since it was made by Microsoft! An Ec (Early Childhood) rating for these games mentioned? Come on, Killa! The gamers I'd respect the most would be the ones who own multiple systems and games of varied ratings because they don't care about the violence or "kiddi-nes" of a game, they just enjoy the gameplay and have fun!

------------------------------
Hmm... I CAN''T THINK OF A SIGNATURE

Edited by - gamemaster79 on 7/16/2004 2:12:38 PM

Print