Print

Author Topic: SPM Character Discussion  (Read 10245 times)

« on: April 27, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
When playing Super Paper Mario I can safely say that I was not disappointed by the colorful plethora of characters that made their appearances.  Sure, I had by doubts while viewing the early game previews (seeing nothing but side-scrolling action), but I couldn't have been farther from the truth by blatantly deciding that the Paper Mario originality that we have enjoyed throughout the years was gone. 
Additions in the Paper Mario cast, including (OMG TOTAL SPOILERZ!) Dimentio, Mimi, O'Chucks, etc. (you can open your eyes now.) provided more than enough humor and enjoyment to the already genial game. 
In this topic I want to allow various members of TMK to express opinions (including critiques) on the characters in Super Paper Mario.  Who was your favorite addition?  What did you think of the individual dialects pertaining to each person?  Did you think that any character came off as almost insulting?  What quotes did you like?

As for me, (obvious spoilers ups aheads) I though that Dimentio sprinkled a sort of Victorian humor into the game (speaking with a profuse vocabulary and using florid analogies) and overall proved to be a wonderfully mind-boggling antagonist!  I also loved his theme music (sounding sort of French, and filled with panache).
He said something before fighting Luigi that qualifies as being one of my favorite quotes in the game:  "And so I strike, like an unseen dodgeball in an echoing gymnasium!"

But, that's just me. 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »
I liked the Cragnons. "Crag not littering. Crag returning trash to the earth where It came from."
The spirits in underwhere where alright too. "I did a mid-air swirve and land in the bottomless pit." we've all been there and done that.

First post.. woo!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »
I loved Count Bleck. He was such a a likeable character, bent on destroying every world or not.
I'll think of a better signature later!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
I liked a lot of the Sammer Guys. (Keep an eye out for the Sammer Guy at gate 69.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
sammer guy showdown... funny stuff. "I am the yellow cape WOOSH".

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 10:02:01 PM »
(OMG TOTAL SPOILERZ!) Dimentio, Mimi, O'Chucks, etc. (you can open your eyes now.)

Pardon my slight off topicness, but if they closed thier eyes to not read the spoilers, how would they know to open their eyes again.

I didn't like Dimentio all that much. He just talked like Fawful would if he spoke in proper English (not to say the lines weren't funny, though).

SPM was a good game, but I really dont' think there was enough character development. Dimentio says I  have one more suprise for  you during one of the final moments of the game, but he doesn't deliver. Nothing happened. He just got out of his giant robot/Luigi thing and disappeared. I was expecting a real final fight, but instead, Bleck ended the game in a rather disappointing way, though I am glad Bleck and Tippi got back together (massive spoilers behind this one. Do not read if you do not want massive spoilers.)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »
I didn't like Dimentio all that much. He just talked like Fawful would if he spoke in proper English (not to say the lines weren't funny, though).
That's funny, Dimentio did remind me of Fawful a few times. I liked Dimentio, though. I had trusted him when he first asks if you want to help him stop Count Bleck.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 05:08:58 AM »
Mimi was one of my favorite characters. Her spider-transformation was always awesome.
"Mimimimimimi!"

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »
Haha, I agree.  Mimi also changed her outfit for practically every cut scene.  I'm not sure if that's ever been done before in a Mario game... though I could be wrong.

I have to bring up Francis, the nerdy chamelion.  He's simply too hilarious a character to leave out.  Nintendo was almost making fun of their own fanbase through Francis XD.  It was, of course, all in good fun and not meant to offend anybody, but I can't help but think that there's some poor, anime-loving, butterfly-catching kid out there who's writing angry letters to Nintendo.     

Pardon my slight off topicness, but if they closed thier eyes to not read the spoilers, how would they know to open their eyes again.

Haha, I wasn't being literal.  It was a miserable attempt at making satire out of how serious people get over "spoilers".  Yeahhh.... By the way, there are spoilers in this post.  :D
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »
He just talked like Fawful would if he spoke in proper English
That might be because the same (English text) writer worked on both games. And Dimentio had some great lines:
"Here I am suddenly, like a windstorm at a kindergarten pinic!" XD

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »
It's really hard to pick which character(s) I love the best, but I think the over-the-top Sammer Guys and their weird Nintendo references for names take the cake (I can only get to about Guy #40-something...).

Honestly, I think the Paper Mario references in Francis's secret room(s) were a little much.

...Oh, and Dimentio was delightfully psychotic. He reminded me of Zant from Twilight Princess in terms of attitude and that part where you chase him through different levels.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 11:45:52 AM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »
Honestly, I think the Paper Mario references in Francis's secret room(s) were a little much.
If you think that's a lot, try completing the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
Or completing the Duel of 100. Both my mom and I really like Count Bleck, as he's really dastardly. Now that I think of it (and on an unrelated note) the setting for the final chapter strongly reminds me of the NES version of World 8-1 in SMB3.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 05:11:52 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 04:07:57 PM »
Just beat this game. Now I'm working on maps and then I'll tackle the Pit of 100 Trials.

The Cragnons ruled, brah.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:04:07 PM »
I don't like the characters... I'd prefer if they transferred the Paper Mario series to the normal Mario Universe, keeping Luigi, Peach, Bowser, etc. as allies and stop adding random friendly-enemies for team mates, and no new bosses, just like giant wigglers or giant bob-ombs. I didn't like the dialog either... except the Sammerguys, and some others that were almost poetic. I think the addition of Francis and the use of video game and interweb lingo was a cheap gimmick though. Overall I thought the game had great game play though, and enjoyed it. Done before I go even more off topic.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

Print