Print

Author Topic: Super Mario 64 DS...  (Read 4529 times)

« on: December 29, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
I really don't know if it was worth the money. I mean, I felt like I was just playing Super Mario 64 again with some extras that tire quickly. I was looking forward to playing the game through as Luigi, but there are character requirements for certain stars. I already have New Super Mario Bros. so I have the mini-games. It would have been better if everyone had the same moves and there were at least some new levels (not counting character unlocking levels) or relative changes to them. Also, the starting character is Yoshi! And you actually use him for the first few accomplishments! It isn't like Toad in M&L:SS where you just do a little something with him for under 1 minute. You use him! Another thing I hear is that Wario has a massive triple jump, though he's slow and sucks at jumping. I haven't gotten Wario yet, so I can't test this yet. Finally, the Power Flowers. What was wrong with the caps? I was looking forward to Metal Luigi, Balloon Yoshi, Invisible Wario, etc.

Anyway, what could have been done:

Starting Character: Mario
Different Courses/Level Changes
Characters have same moveset
Caps available to all characters
Can choose to do whatever star with whatever character
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
Yoshi was the starting character to accommodate he plot. It's not like it takes half the game to save Mario. What, you don't like Yoshi? You sound like he's a Nazi or something.
It was a remake--if the levels were different it wouldn't be Super Mario 64 DS, would it?
If the characters were all the same, what would be the point of having different characters!? Now that's just ridiculous.
The only reasonable complaint you have.
With the caps you pretty much can play as whoever you want whenever you want. After you unlock them, anyway.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »
By moveset, I mean they all have the same abilities (ground pound, wall jump, etc.) but with different stats (Luigi's jump and walk on water ability, Wario's punch, etc.)

Also, I can't stand Mario with Luigi/Yoshi's voice. It's disturbing.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
Well, I didn't find anything wrong with Super Mario 64 DS. It's not like the classic version, but it's fun. The power flowers were fine, but I like the caps better. Yoshi the start-off was fine, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »
Also, I can't stand Mario with Luigi/Yoshi's voice. It's disturbing.

You gotta admit that Luigi with Wario's voice is pretty funny. So is the other way around.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
Look, trying to compare the game with it's original counterpart is just going to keep you from enjoying it. Think of it as a completely different game.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »
I really dug the 30 extra stars, and the portability. I mean, it's like, one day we're playing Super Mario World with systems that we can fit in our pocket, and the next day we've got Super Mario 64 DS in our pocket. I think that was more than enough to make this a great game to me.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
I love Mario 64 DS. We got married yesterday and are planning our honeymoon as we speak.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »
Starting Character: Mario

That's not a bad idea, but Yoshi is pretty much useless after you unlock Mario, so he'd get pretty cramped laying in his room all day. Got give the dino a little time air time, right?

Different Courses/Level Changes

That sounds like a good idea. However there were some minor changes to the levels. For example, I'm pretty sure they added some stone platforms behind Whomp's fortress, where you collected the silver stars (I think, it's a long time since I last play that game)

Characters have same moveset

But then what's the reason for having different characters if they all play the exact same? I think the characters should have had more balanced movesets. For example, Luigi can jump really high, but he's slower then Mario. Wario was proably the worst character. There were some areas he couldn't access, but he sure was a powerhouse. However, what's the point of this when all the enemies die in one hit with either character? They should have given the enemies more health so they could not be killed in one hit with any character except Wario. That would have given players a reason to use Wario.

Caps available to all characters

That would have been nice. I think what they should have done, however, is that each character can use the regular three caps from Mario 64 (Wing, metal and invisible) but also have a cap of their own (Balloon for Mario, fire for Yoshi, and something else for Luigi and Wario)

Can choose to do whatever star with whatever character

Again, what's the point of having different characters if they all do the same thing and have the same objectives?

Also, a 4 player co-op mode with all four characters running around the castle would be pretty spiffy, rather then that stupid battle mode we got in the final version.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
I actually like how each character has his own style that separates him from the other three. If they were all the same, then why have 4 different characters? Heck, I've even listed the best overall character (in my opinion) from best to worst.

1. Luigi- His ability to float in midair just by back flipping is borderline cheating. He's fairly fast and is also the fastest swimmer. His jumping ability is just plain awesome. I found that nearly every power star that did not require a certain character could be earned with Luigi.

2. Wario- He's kinda like Mario without the good jumping, but his strength more than makes up for it. Enemies are easier to kill with Wario, especially when there are several enemies in one area. He may not be all that fast, but speed really isn't necessary in most stages, nor is an outstanding jumping ability. His ability to break blocks that others can't makes going through some stages easier. His only weakness may be his poor swimming attribute.

3. Mario- Mario is the average character in the game. He doesn't have many strengths nor does he have any weaknesses. His jumping is okay, but sub par compared to Luigi. He doesn't really have anything that makes him special (besides wall jump), but sometimes if you want to collect stars without all the fancy stuff, Mario is your man.

4. Yoshi- Yoshi is pretty much the odd man out. He doesn't have anything Mario doesn't have in terms of jumping, swimming or running. His egg attack is kinda cool but it really isn't all that useful. His lack of kicks and punches in midair make fighting some enemies incredibly annoying. And after the other 3 characters are unlocked, using him is kinda pointless.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:53:39 PM »
I loved using Yoshi for the eating and throwing. The cube-egg you get when you eat a box was a nice touch. I'd use him for the entire game if I didn't need to be Mario to open those star doors (characters' caps in the castle would've been a good thing). If I needed to punch something I'd get someone's hat. Of course I needed to use other characters to unlock everyone and make all the caps available.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print