Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Most underated Mario game?  (Read 19193 times)

« on: January 13, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
Ah, Mario Kart: Super Circuit. It was the first Mario game I ever played, and some people just skip right over it when talking about Mario Kart games, like it never existed, or is a bad game. This is one of my favorite games of all time. Also, IGN rated it like a 9.7, which is AWESOME. So, why do you think people skip this game?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:12:16 PM »
Mm, it's been quite a while since I've played the game at all... I thought that Super Circuit had a lot of interesting things going for it (like dropping red shells, and the gimmicks/appearances of some tracks), but it also suffered from some heavy problems.

The thing I couldn't stand about the game was how its tracks were largely unintuitive, requiring the player to memorize not only the basic layout, but also the locations of shortcuts and speed boosts if you wanted to have a chance at winning.  Some tracks were worse than others, but it was pretty much a consistent theme throughout.
And it goes against good game design.  Ideally, the player should be armed with the concepts of the game, then be able to take on whatever comes at him, finding it a challenge, yes, but still having a chance to succeed.  When the player becomes required to memorize large parts of the game - be it elaborate move lists, extensive level layouts, secrets or shortcuts, or item/boost locations - the game begins to suffer, becoming less of a thrill and more of a chore.  Now, I'm not saying that the player shouldn't learn things from playing a game/level multiple times, but the degree that Super Circuit did it - with unintuitive layouts of paths and boosts throughout - was simply something I didn't want to suffer.

...And that's what I've got against the game.
Go Moon!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »
It came out between Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash, two of the most controversial Mario Kart games. Any thread that asks about Mario Kart usually turns into a debate between the two groups of fans for each game.

I'm a big fan of Super Circuit, even though the AI was extremely cheap and some tracks like Ribbon Road were unforgiving. Personally, the game felt more polished to me than Mario Kart 64. It also helps that the original Super Mario Kart tracks were included as unlockables.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
The single-pak multiplayer fails and I've never once been in a situation where I and another have had it, GBAs and a link cable, let alone three others, GBAs, and three link cables...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
probably because (even though it was a good game) it had snes remakes in it. but, then again, mario kart DS had the retro circuits...

but thats just my guess... but i never really liked it
Neko = A hot anime chick that's half cat and half human. (SEXY!)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
You kidding? That was the best feature.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
No... i just didnt like them because they weren't exact, like SMK DS.

like i said, that's just my opinion.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »
Mario Kart Super Circuit is and probably always will be my favorite Mario Kart. The music is incredibly good and the control and physics are spot on. And I liked all the courses, too.
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:39:56 AM »
I'd say that the most underrated Mario game in my opinion is SMB2. Although Super Circuit comes a close second.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »
Mario Kart Super Circuit is fun. Haven't played it in a long time. Yeah, I don't hear people talking about it, so you can say it's underrated, but I still enjoy it.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
Super Circuit was the first Mario Kart game I owned. I still remember trading time trial ghosts with my friend, way back then in 2001...
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 03:25:13 AM »
And it goes against good game design.  Ideally, the player should be armed with the concepts of the game, then be able to take on whatever comes at him, finding it a challenge, yes, but still having a chance to succeed.  When the player becomes required to memorize large parts of the game - be it elaborate move lists, extensive level layouts, secrets or shortcuts, or item/boost locations - the game begins to suffer, becoming less of a thrill and more of a chore.
Aren't you the guy who likes La Mulana?

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
Super Circuit was the first Mario Kart game I owned. I still remember trading time trial ghosts with my friend, way back then in 2001...

Wow the firs mario kart game i owned was super mario kart....
good times.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 10:21:52 PM »
The first one I played was Mario Kart 64. I got Super Mario Kart not long after.
It's YOUR problem!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Super Circuit was good, naturally it's better than most make it out to be. The only reason it's regarded so negatively was because all of the Mario Kart titles aside from it were incredibly good, so it was regarded as bad, due to comparison. But it is definitely a fine title.
Ditto used Machop!

Print