Print

Author Topic: Do You Read?  (Read 16966 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
1984 is one of my favorite sci-fi books, because it deals with political change rather than technological change. Plus, the torture scenes with O'Brien were excellent.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
Books? No.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »
Heck, in my family, I'm synonymous with reading--I've been doing it since I was three (my parents told me that after my first days of school, I was frustrated with being taught things I already knew). Novels, short stories, magazines, elaborate online articles... I read 'em all (not with music, though--I can't concentrate like that). One thing, though--I can't stand most of the classics. Frankenstein? A mess. Tale of Two Cities? A massive irritation. The Chosen? It literally gave me a headache.

I think I already detailed my favorite books/authors in a separate thread, so I won't trouble you with that.

As for Stephen King, most of his stuff I read has been short stories, which are indeed weird (The Lawnmower Man, anybody?). I think the only novel of his I read was one of the Richard Bachman ones (The Long Walk--does for hiking what Jaws did for water).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »
Dracula is an excellent book.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but I especially enjoyed King's novella The Body. Later, I found out that it was made into a movie, entitled Stand By Me. Usually, the book is better than the movie. This time, however, I think that the movie worked extremely well. While the novella is excellent, the movie is even better. Highly recommended for any fans of Stephen King.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
Tale of Two Cities? A massive irritation.

I loved the book because I can relate to Sydney Carton. Really, he's one of my favorite literary characters ever.

Also, I probably shouldn't have said I didn't like 1984, 'cause it was actually pretty good. So yeah, disregard that last statement.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:30:38 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 11:03:55 PM »
TEM introduced me to the Dark Tower books. Thank you, TEM.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:46:25 AM »
Question: TEM.

Do you still have those same books checked out from the library? If so, I think that they might[/i[ be a little bit overdue.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but I especially enjoyed King's novella The Body. Later, I found out that it was made into a movie, entitled Stand By Me. Usually, the book is better than the movie. This time, however, I think that the movie worked extremely well. While the novella is excellent, the movie is even better. Highly recommended for any fans of Stephen King.
I haven't really seen any Stephen King movies, but from the plot synopses I've read, it sounds like the movie adaption of 1408 is much more exciting than the story.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 11:40:55 AM »
I just started reading books on my own. I just read Dean Koontz's "Watchers" and Stephen King's "The Mist". I plan to read Stephen King's and Peter Straub's "The Talisman" over the summer.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
I just started reading books on my own. I just read Dean Koontz's "Watchers" and Stephen King's "The Mist". I plan to read Stephen King's and Peter Straub's "The Talisman" over the summer.

Make sure you read the sequel to The Talisman: Black House too. Just be warned it's VERY slow, but still good.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:16 PM »
I am just now learning about this sequel
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
I am just now learning about this sequel

It takes place about 20 years later. But be warned it has some heavy connection to The Dark Tower so if you've never read The Dark Tower you may be slightly confused.

I like how Stephen King connects all his books together using the tower.

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
Yeah. I read TOO much. My teachers tell me NOT to read, LOL.

Print