Print

Author Topic: Which Mario is Best?  (Read 19372 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Another flagrant error in that graph: The individual labelled as "Lottery guy" isn't Mario, but his illegitimate Chinese half-brother, Fortran.

that video is at once horribly frightening and unbearably funny. 
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
that video is at once horribly frightening and unbearably funny. 

Agreed.

I think his SMG model is him at his best. I hate to say this, but to me it seems like spin-off Mario games uses a recycled Mario from the GCN era. Seriously, I haven't noticed a difference since even Mario Party 4. He looks the same the entire time. SMG kills that and introduces Mario as he REALLY is. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the voice, but...I got used to it.

SM64 is the second best. It's kind of hard not to laugh at the blocky, yet (for that time) innovative 3D Mario's fluid (IMO) movements and laughably low-polly peace sign.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »
Uh, yes, they do use the same model in various GCN games. It's called saving time and money not trying to replicate the same thing 15 times.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
In that case, maybe they'll use the Galaxy model for all upcoming Mario sports games for the next Nintendo console.
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
He actually looks pretty crappy in MKW (the only other Mario spin-off I've played since SMG).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »
That's because they tried to cram 12 moderately-lowpoly characters into four split screens. Seriously, eight was good enough. All the back four are good for is pounding you with POW Blocks and Blue Shells.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
Uh, yes, they do use the same model in various GCN games. It's called saving time and money not trying to replicate the same thing 15 times.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that they still use OLD GCN-era models for Wii spin-offs.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
Mario Kart Wii's models look worse than Double Dash!!'s for the same characters if you ask me.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
That's because they tried to cram 12 moderately-lowpoly characters into four split screens. Seriously, eight was good enough. All the back four are good for is pounding you with POW Blocks and Blue Shells.

Agreed. However, if it was only 8, I'm sure they'd rubberband a lot more and still get the same awesome items anyway. Also, if you are in first and get killed, you end up in 11th place instead of way behind last place like games only containing 8 racers........I guess that makes it "better" since you're not in last place, am I right?!

Also, I think all they did was add a few more polygons to characters to smooth them out from where they'd typically be viewed, then turned down the saturation some (MK:DD is 50 times as brightly colored as MKWii), then added a Mario Galaxy-esque glow to everyone to show light reflecting off them.

Mario Kart could've looked similar to Brawl or Galaxy if they wanted to put more effort into it. Yeah, I know there's time constraints, it's hard to redo everything to suit the Wii, etc., but still, they could've put some more time into it. Mario Kart's always shown a Nintendo system at its near best. MKWii looks too similar to Double Dash, [darn] near. That's like if Double Dash looked similar to MK64, or if MK64 looked like SMK.

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »
I'm 90% that some, if not all of the character models in MKW (excluding obvious new characters) are from MK:DD. It's kind of dissapointing.

Also, I think all they did was add a few more polygons to characters to smooth them out from where they'd typically be viewed, then turned down the saturation some (MK:DD is 50 times as brightly colored as MKWii), then added a Mario Galaxy-esque glow to everyone to show light reflecting off them.

Mario Kart could've looked similar to Brawl or Galaxy if they wanted to put more effort into it. Yeah, I know there's time constraints, it's hard to redo everything to suit the Wii, etc., but still, they could've put some more time into it. Mario Kart's always shown a Nintendo system at its near best. MKWii looks too similar to Double Dash, [darn] near. That's like if Double Dash looked similar to MK64, or if MK64 looked like SMK.

I agree. I give the devolopers of MK:DD props for making new models (I think) for that game. I know it's a pain in @$$ to make new models, but jeez at least update the textures or add a few polygons where needed.

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
I'm 90% that some, if not all of the character models in MKW (excluding obvious new characters) are from MK:DD. It's kind of dissapointing.

I agree. I give the devolopers of MK:DD props for making new models (I think) for that game. I know it's a pain in @$$ to make new models, but jeez at least update the textures or add a few polygons where needed.

I agree with that. I'm tired of seeing the generic fist holding an item. I want to actually see the characters hold an item with their hands instead of that generic fist.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2009, 08:28:49 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty bad.... because even Goldeneye had the weapons go through their generic, block fists. In Double Dash, the items just sits on top of their fingers and they just keeeeeep on clenchin' those fists. It's weird.

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
Galaxy is probably my favorite from the 3D Marios. For 2D, I'm going to go with SMW or the remade SMB2 (for either SNES or GBA). I still can't figure out why they never gave him more defined eyes on the SMB3 remakes, especially because SMB3 was one of the best, if not the best, Mario sidescrollers.

As for spinoffs, I like MK64. I've always felt the quality of the characters' graphics actually eroded over time on the N64--compare Mario Party or Mario Golf to the 1996-1997 era.

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07:35 AM »
I think its hard to decide because all of them are great.But Iwould have to go with super smash bros. brawl because he looks more designed.

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
I would have to say my fav. mario would be super smash bros. brawl. And my least favorite would be mario teaces typing.

Print