Print

Author Topic: Lego Mindstorms NXT programming, robotics, & engineering games/projects?  (Read 1884 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
I'm teaching a robotics class this year and wonder what robotics/engineering/programming games you guys enjoy or think would be great for teaching. I recently stumbled upon robozzle.com and think it's great. World of Goo may have a little value for the class as well. What else?

We'll be engineering and building towers, bridges, and catapults/trebuchets. Building battery operated carnival rides (roller coasters, ferris wheels , etc.) with K'Nex. And most of all we will use Lego Minstroms NXT for various tasks. Some task will be out of various books/lesson plans, but then I'll open it up to other ideas like a robot that plays Dr. Mario or 100 pin bowling in Wii Sports Resort. 

BTW, we just submitted a grant application for $5,300-$6,900 worth or Lego Mindstorms NXT equipment not to mention another grant for about $10,000 for laptops.  We will start with the Robotics Engineering I and the Education Resource Sets, but I plan to expand with more sensors and sets with my own money if the grants don't fully fund my project. 

Any ideas on games/projects we could do?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
World of Goo would definitely be good if you're exploring physics simulation. You may also want to look at Garry's Mod if that's the case, though it'd be more to demonstrate ragdoll physics.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
The only thing I thought of after reading your post was light-Bot. You have to get a robot to light up all the blue squares in the level by creating a program by dragging icons into an order. It gets pretty complicated and even lets you call subroutines.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
Whoa this is crazy, that sounds exactly like a class my school just started offering this year, right down to the K'NEX roller coasters.

Print