Print

Author Topic: Hittin' the Links  (Read 3848 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »
This thread is about golf. Discuss golf here, and/or if you play, how you play, whatever. EDIT: Eh, I don't mind, but.... I guess... keep it more on the subject of the game itself...not the last time you went to Putt-Putt and got a hole-in-one past the elephant, windmill, and waterfall. I don't want the thread to turn into "Hittin' Putt-Putt Golf & Games."

I started when I was around 12 years old. I wasn't the longest of hitters, but I was consistent, which is a quality I've lost since I haven't played a course since that age (I'm 19 now).

I've recently taken it up again, bought some Knight clubs from a quality pawn shop just so I could get back into it. I've been going to the driving range to gain my consistency back, and for the most part, I have.

My swing type is what people would label as "old school," that being turning the hips a lot with my shoulders being turned 90º (back facing target at the apex). I can't stand the current swing type that the media tries to push on you because "everyone on tour is doing it!!!! So should you," which is basically zero hip turn and a "torsion" swing, you could say (twisting the shoulders a lot almost unnaturally to make resistance with your lower body, then releasing it...basically like the same mechanics as a trebuchet). I hold the club with an interlocking grip: interlocking the right pinky with your left index finger. It feels natural and feels like one nice, tight unit of both my hands. I hate the 10 finger baseball grip, and the overlapping grip isn't for me. I'm also a right-handed player.

My clubs consist of: Driver, 3 & 5 fairway woods, 3 iron hybrid "rescue" club (same loft as the same iron, but shaped like a wood), 4 thru 9 iron, pitching wedge, sand wedge, and of course, a putter.

Within the second day of going to the range, I'd gotten my consistency back. With a driver, I can drive the ball 300-325 yards (driving range's last sign is 300 yards, then about 25-30 yards past that is treeline), but I consistently hit 295-305 yards with a slight draw when I want to keep in tempo and not kill the ball. Long iron game is the weakest link so far, but I'm getting better. Short irons are just fine, high trajectory, the draw straightens out the shorter the club is. Chipping is very nice (range has "greens" with flagsticks peppered throughout it), and I can apply plenty of backspin so I tend to try and overshoot the flagstick a bit and let it bite & roll back. Putting is very nice. I can typically hole putts within 20 feet, but past that it gets bad (the range has two greens with multiple holes in them... they're very slow greens [and out of shape, too...dead grass, mowed unevenly]).

Catastrophic: So, I let my friend try and get into golf and use my clubs- big mistake. He played ice hockey in school when he lived in Iowa when he was younger, and that's how he swings the clubs... always trying to slapshot the [darn] thing and his hands are placed almost in the same fashion as a Happy Gilmore putt, if you've ever seen the movie. He doesn't keep his left arm straight and at the top of the swing, he turns it into a baseball swing. Doing that crap, he has put a crack in the top of my driver right above the clubface and didn't tell me about it. Now, I have tons of scratches on top of it and the crack has totally changed the sound of the driver upon impact; it sounds like a friggin' tin can and I can't drive the ball into the air now. It will always mow grass for about 80 yards or it'll take a super low trajectory... maybe 25 feet in the air and land at around 230-250 with a huge hook (I was slicing a bit my first couple days, so hooking out of nowhere was very strange). To see if I was just sucking, I hit my other clubs and I did just fine with them, so I know it's the driver. To remedy this, I'm gonna buy an '09 Taylormade Burner in the near future.... lighter, stiffer shaft, more streamlined head, and no draw bias (who needs draw bias... come on, just stop slicing), and slowly outfit my whole golfbag to Taylormade clubs.

Hopefully, once I get my consistency on lock-down, I'll be able to visit some courses and see how I do. I predict, with a 7 year break in my game, that I'll shoot....hmm, maybe high 80s (par being 72).

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is a video link to the "Hammer X," the most gimmicky driver (and one that would be illegal for use in virtually all golf tournaments, etc.) ever created claiming a 50 yard increase in your drive and automatic slice/hook elimination, no matter what. The creator of it, Jack Hamm, screams something every time he hits the ball, be it "POOWWW!!!!", "WAAAM!!!", "BOOOM BABY!!!", or "RAAAAAAARGH!!" He is credited as the longest driver in the word (473 yards) and fastest swinger (162MPH clubhead speed), but that is incorrect because Jason Zuback held (still holds) the record at 557 yards (and a 204MPH clubhead speed) before Jack Hamm was even heard of anyway. Anyway, from the beginning to 0:46 is the most hilarious part with him screaming, and the rest is the stupid announcer sounding like he's talking about the newest, coolest board game for kids which is also hilarious. I believe 0:43-0:46 is the funniest yell of the video (also featuring a Mario Golf-esque trail behind the ball to show how 'badass' he is and how far his ball is really going).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0ef3VN3DA   Watch in high quality haha.

"The Hammer Eeeeeeeeeeeeeex"
"DEAD SOLID HITTING Zooooooooooooooone."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:16:19 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
I love how that guy screams like a maniac every time he hits the ball. That's so awesome.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:48 AM »
I have played a couple of games of mini golf before. I found that if it is at night, then yo can use shadows to perfect your aim.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
My dad golfs.

Also golf is boring.

That's my two cents.
every

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
My grandfather used to golf (he's dead).

Also golf is okay.

That's my two cents.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
I like Toadstool Tour.
Also my grandpa and grandma are dead, but his second wife is still alive, and she has a boyfriend.
That's my two cents.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »
I quite enjoy golf. Relaxing, fun, frustrating. My long game is pretty good, for I can drive about 300 fiarly accurately; I have trouble with my short game, however, because putting has always been my weak spot.

I love how that guy screams like a maniac every time he hits the ball. That's so awesome.

If you liked that, you should see me play.

Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
I played mini-golf a while ago during my trip to Carolina Beach. I got the best score out of everyone in my party of eight. I even kept my scorecard as a souvenir.

Also, I like the movie Happy Gilmore.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:47 AM »
Usually, the people that say a sport is boring are the people that simplify it when asked for an explanation as to why it's boring:

"DUR ALL YOU DO IS HIT A LITTLE BALL INTO A HOLE LOL HOW IS THAT FUN"

Well, you can make anything sound dumb when simplified:

"all games are stupid cuz all you do is push buttons"
"football is stupid cuz all you do is run to the goal with a ball and run into people"
"basketball is stupid cuz all you do is throw the ball into a net"
"baseball is stupid cuz all you do is try and hit a little ball out of the field"
"motorsports are stupid cuz all you do is drive cars around a track really fast"
Etc.

Anyway, back to the thread, that's a hell of a drive there, Koopaslaya. I'm gonna go to the driving range when it opens and see how I'm doing after another week of not going...

Happy Gilmore is a great movie... also anything featuring Chris Farley is too.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:14:02 PM »
Happy Gilmore is a great movie... also anything featuring Chris Farley is too.
I agree with this. I own Tommy Boy and Black Sheep and really like them both. Though Black Sheep is a fairly new addition to my movie collection so I've only seen it about three times. Heck, it's a shame that Chris Farley is dead now.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »
Tommy Boy was Chris Farley's prime.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Trainman, your post was very well thought out, and I agree with you. Golf is often dismissed as a stupid game, but when you look at everything with such an overly critical eye, everything seems a bit silly.

Anyway, back to the thread, that's a hell of a drive there, Koopaslaya. I'm gonna go to the driving range when it opens and see how I'm doing after another week of not going...

Just keep your eye on the ball and pull through with your opposite hand. That's what my dad taught me when I was just a little guy, and it certainly hasn't failed me yet!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »
So, I did go to the driving range yesterday.

I started hooking bad again and it was frustrating the crap out of me. The way I swing is exactly how Shawn Clement swings (Top Canadian golf instructor) and how the majority of people swing. I tee the ball about half a ball above the clubhead. At address, the ball is in line with the inside of my left foot, my head is behind the ball, and my hands are forward slightly (my arms and club being in the shape of a lowercase "y" like it should be, so my hands are usually a bit in front of the ball, while the clubhead is about 3 inches behind the ball, so I can catch it on the upswing. I keep my left arm straight throughout the swing and turn my hips 45º with my back facing the target at the top of the backswing. My left heel raises up a little bit, then I plant it back down with my ass pretty much going towards the target. The club lags behind so my hands reach the ball first like it should, then I whip the living crap out of the club and hit the ball clean with relative consistency.

Some dude at the driving range kept freakin' staring at me every time I'd swing the ball. He then tried to offer his help and told me I was doing it completely wrong. He said at address I need to have the ball about 2" left of the outside of my left foot and that I need to keep my hands behind the clubhead, then once I did that, put the clubhead right behind the ball.... so it turned from a lowercase "y" to a mirrored "y" and felt absolutely stupid. It felt like I was addressing the ball where I'd be 30% through my followthrough.

I went back to my old ways because that guy's suggestion was dumb and he kept commenting on how my hands were too far forward every time I hit the ball. Very annoying. I was down to my last ball and I was ****ed...then I remembered something: I was chasing the ball with my head on the followthrough. I knew better than to do that, but that's what made me keep hooking. On my last ball, I kept my head in place until my right shoulder caught it and brought it up for me like it's supposed to... and there it was! Straight as an arrow and 290 yards. I was just doing *one* thing wrong the whole time.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Just keep your eye on the ball and pull through with your opposite hand.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
I notice that the pressure when I swing is on the heel of my right palm.... I guess because the club lag.

Print