Print

Author Topic: Tv_Themes hates the factory even more now...  (Read 14280 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
Yesterday, I picked up a game I meant to get two years ago - Wario Land: Shake It.

I have NEVER had more fun with my Wii in my life. I've only played it for half an hour at max, it really drains your energy because you're going to shake that Wii Remote like crazy! The cut scenes are awesome (big fan of hand drawn animation), the music is great (big fan of jazz as well), it's borrowing from Kirby (in the treasures you have to collect alongside the coins) and so far, NOTHING even acknowledging the factory!

Where are the likes of Mona Pizza, Jimmy T & 9-Volt? Nowhere to be found :D

Who do we have instead? Captain Syrup (!!!!!) and the Goom Pirates (as I call them)! I mean, this is a Wario Land fanboy's wet dream!

Too bad there probably isn't going to be any more games like this in the near future.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »
I have NEVER had more fun with my Wii in my life. I've only played it for half an hour at max, it really drains your energy because you're going to shake that Wii Remote like crazy!

That's the best euphemism I've ever heard.

Anyways, I was actually slightly disappointed with Shake It, mainly due to the linear nature of the levels and tediousness, which detract from its replay value. After collecting a given level's goodies, there's little reason to re-visit it, as opposed to a more "conventional" platformer in which merely reaching the goal is a challenge in itself.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
I bought this on my New Year's Eve gaming splurge, and I've yet to beat it, but I must say it's not bad. The art style is basically the gimmick, yes, but man, does it look cool. It is fairly generic otherwise, though, and I wish there wasn't such an emphasis on those running machine things (they basically took the bullrush move from WL4 and turned it into an environmental item).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »
Dissing one good game series because of another good game that only has the main character in common with it is a really really stupid thing to do.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
I'm surprised of any Wario Land-esque game being called linear, that'd probably be reason enough for me not to get it. Excusing the first Wario Land which was essentially "get to the end, pick up a treasure along the way" (Wario Land II was the same way but had much smarter level design), the Wario series has always been a mix of re-exploring previous areas to find new treasures and powerups that lead you to areas you couldn't get to before, plus the smart level design meaning you can't really cheat your way around anything. But I like the Wario series more for the Metroid mechanic of being able to get at that thing you saw two hours before. If that's gone... well, if it has Wario Land 1's atmosphere I might give it a shot, but otherwise pass.

I don't understand why Wario Land 1 still has so much appeal for me when the later games are much better in gameplay. Probably the same reason I still prefer the first Turok. Other than they being my introduction, they both have great atmosphere. Rice Beach was great. Teapot Mountain was awesome with the water areas and waterfalls which gradually changed to lava. Sherbet Island, ice everywhere - and the whole place is optional. The lava area... well, ok, I want to forget that one ever existed. S.S. Tea Cup is awesome. The forest was my favorite of all for the... well, the forest overworld music for one, so mysterious, but also those train levels. And then of course there's Skull Mountain or whatever. It also helps that I had Super Game Boy at the time, so I was spoiling myself with fiddling around with the colors. Basically, Wario Land 1 really went places. The later games went places too, but somehow they all felt too similar. Maybe I also prefer the first for the cool hats. Jet Wario, man.

I guess I'm saying that the later Wario games had Wario doing more mundane stuff and shifted his powers to stuff that was purely for puzzle reasons, thus the non-linear levels and revisiting areas were a must to keep me interested. The first Wario Land game had these cool hats and levels going on so that I was happy with a more linear design. If Wario's not doing crazy stuff in this new game and it's linear, then I'm not interested. I mean, I felt that way with Wario Land 4. I liked it, but nowhere as much as the other games, because Wario had a lifebar again and it was "get the key and get out." The Crescent Moon music was legendarily awesome though.

No factory you say? Awesome. I kind of like 9-Volt just for his nostalgic microgames, and I liked the toilet dude in the first Warioware game for his music, but other than that I never cared for any of Wario's "friends". WarioWare was fun the first time. But it seems like it's going into Mario Party territory (even though I never played any of the other games) in that I'm wishing for a game that combined all the previous microgames. 200 microgames is NOT ENOUGH. You need, like, 2,000 microgames. And not themed either.

Oh, actually, I lie. Dribble and Spitz were cool.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:30:12 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »
Don't diss games you haven't played or don't know anything about. That's what's wrong with Tv_Themes already.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
Agree (even though penguinwizard isn't really dissing anything), but those are strong words from the man who once started a post with
I'm not really going to bother reading all of the article or most of this thread.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »
I was a very angry person that month. I got better.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
I mean, this is a Wario Land fanboy's wet dream!

wut
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying Shake It!, Tv_Themes.  I thought it was fun, too.  But I just don't see why Wario Land and Wario Ware can't coexist.  Should Nintendo cancel the Mario Kart series because they continue to make new Mario platformers?

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
I couldn't care less about the WarioWare series itself, but its intrusion into other games is unsettling, namely wtith Wario's Ware look being his default costume in Brawl.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
You already have two guys in caps and overalls. Maybe they wanted to change it up a bit.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
That's reasonable, but having his "biker" look as the default really overstates the significance of the WW series.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
I would argue that it is much more significant than Wario Land. It's just the 4 WL fanatics on this board that make it seem like it has a large fanbase.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »
I couldn't care less about the WarioWare series itself,
WarioWare is one of the most clever, inventive, charming, funny, and fun series of games ever. Not a single entry has used the same control scheme and it's brilliant every time. WarioWare is one of those games that makes me just grin and think, "This is why I game."

Pokémon is a series that combines an unholy collection of nearly everything wrong with gaming: grinding, unoriginality, collecting, competitive PvP based on leveling-up characters, limited exclusive content available only for a brief time, hacking, cheating, and invisible secret stats requiring guide-reading to understand what's actually going on in the game. And the worst part of the whole mess is that this exact same game has been released over and over with virtually no changes for about fifteen years.

Guess which series WG likes, and guess which one he couldn't care less about.

Print