Print

Author Topic: 3 Days (Maybe 6) Until I Die  (Read 5511 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:21:28 PM »
Well, school is ending and I am in the deepest pile of crap I have ever been in. My Algebra class is a surefire failing grade for the year no matter if I made a 2 average or 102 average; it wouldn't help. English is a 65 and Reading is a 65 and if I fail two or more core classes, I will go to summer school which I can't afford (sort of literally) and would be (for real literally) embarassing and time-consuming (a month out of three months of summer).

English: No problem, really. Maybe a tutorial to make something up then do an extra-credit page to raise my grade up to at least a 70. My teacher is a really nice person for giving me a chance.

Reading: Huge problem. See, we have to get retarded "AR points;" (Accelerated Reader). We read books with different point amounts which differ with book length, etc. Then, you take a test over the book with silly questions like, "Did John run to the ____ A. John B. Uhh... C. Etc. D. Etc." I am in Pre-AP Reading so I must get 20 stupid AR points every six weeks. I have 15 right now and am reading a stupid book that my friend said was "really good" and reccomended. I can't concentrate on it and it's not doing me anything well. It is too long to read in 3 days unless I do nothing BUT read, and it is still introducing and not cuttin' to the chase when I'm on page 100-ish out of 200-250-ish.

The retarded thing about it is that my teacher hands out extra-credit pages to people who have all of their silly points. So, this means that I have missed 2 or 3 pages of extra credit that would DEFINITELY help me to passing because I have a close 15. She isn't fond of me and sometimes downright doesn't like me or something because I am not passing, but when I started trying to assess the situation at the beginning of the last six weeks, she wouldn't give me any friggin' extra-credit pages to do. What's wrong with this picture?

Past Averages:

6th Grade: NEVER went below and 86 or 89.
7th Grade: A low-high 70 every once in a while, but not enough to destroy me. I still did very well.
8th grade: GONE DOWN THE CRAPPER. Never passed Algebra, Reading (except once, I believe), or English (actually, passed it twice and the rest were high 60's). I couldn't BELIEVE how much I had gone down.

I'm as smart as a whip, but my frickin' dad-blasted laziness got to me this year BAD. I have prayed to pass without summer school in quiet time every day since the last first day of the 2nd semester (Texas requires the recital of the two pledges [U.S. and Texas] and 60 seconds of quiet time and thoughts & meditation). Well, actually, I prayed for passing regardless of summer school, etc., but NOW I see the troubles and annoyances of going to summer school, so I started praying for both. I think He heard the first one...

Please post any suggestions you may have (or comments, I suppose, but not stupid degrading ones to make me feel bad and give me a negative "Told ya so"-esque message, please).

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents
+--Support our troops.--+

Edited by - Trainman on 5/19/2004 8:23:15 PM
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:30:12 PM »
I'm interested in this Texas Pledge. Post it here.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »
Hmm... well I didn't think there even was an AP Reading.XD But anyways, This is how bad your 9th grade year is eh? Well, take this year to remember how it feels to get off track so you wont next year so that way you will realize the consiquences. And for the teachers. Hmm... I dont think this will help as much but, There is an anger method used to suceed. If you are in the class and you think of something that annoys you so much and it builds up enough anger(remember this is mentally, dont go turning green.) You will get the emotion, the will to do what you have to do. And summer school aint that bad, It is kinda fun. (In a way...) So I wish you best of luck. (3 weeks, doubt you will need it.)
uh... what?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 09:42:20 PM »
I used to do AR...it wasn't required, though. We'd just get stuff, depending on how many tests we passed.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
I know how you feel, Trainman.  My progress report had all As and Bs and then an F.  I know all the stuff, but I didn't do the homework because of laziness.  I have horrible study habits.  Well, I don't have any, so ther you go.  If your main problem is homeworque, then all I can say is this: do it right when you get home, and don't watch TV or do a bunch of stuff during it.  With that being said, I'm gonig to go do my homeworque.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »
Great advice.... from someone who had As and Bs. Dont you think the situation is a  little different?
uh... what?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 10:01:47 PM »
"I'm interested in this Texas Pledge. Post it here."

This BETTER not become a heated political debate, Lizard Dude, because I don't have the patience or time to argue about anything. We are trying to stay on topic as much as possible and maybe I should not have mentioned the pledge, but:

Honor the Texas Flag,
I pledge allegience to thee, Texas,
One and Indivisible.

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:08:02 PM »
Do not ask for extra credit.  Most teachers hate that.  Many don't offer or take it either.  I don't.

Instead show some extra effort by keeping on whatever task the teacher assigns (no matter how dumb it seems).  If there is down time in the class, spend that time doing other school work (preferably for the class you are in) like reading or getting help with the subject.  Stay after class or after school to get help.  I know you probably don't need it.  I can tell you are smart, but just lazy.  But, staying late will look to the teacher if you use the time wisely.  Again do not ask for extra credit.  You can ask to make up work, but if the teacher denies it do not beg.  Do extra work without being told.  Do not talk in class unless about the assignments.  If you appear off task to your teacher you might not get any credit.

If you teacher leaves class as soon as it is over don't hold him or her up in the classroom.  Instead talk in the hall as they leave.  But, do not annoy your teacher.  Do not critize their grades, methods, tests, etc.

If you have normally are next to someone who talks, distrupts, etc.  Ask to or change seats.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 10:40:07 PM »
MIrror Kirby, I didn't say I was in the same situation, just that I knew how he feels.  I had to spend the second half of my sixth grade class sitting in the office during lunch doing homework EVERY DAY because if I didn't bring my grades up I wouldn't go to seventh grade the next year.

Edited by - Markio on 5/19/2004 9:44:13 PM

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 03:32:40 PM »
RE: 3 Days (Maybe 6) Until I Die
For one thing, everything's harder because of the crap NCLB (No Child Left Behind) federal education act, and 9/11 terrorist attacks.
The other, the reason why public schools exist is because of anti-immigration purposes, not literacy, according to some reform sites that I've read

"Now go home and eat some vegetables! Dr. Mario’s orders!" -Super Mario World, King Scoopa Koopa (DIC, 1991)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 04:39:32 PM »
Actually, I believe Trainman is in 8th grade.

Man, I feel bad now since I breeze by in Honors Classes with grades in the 90s and barely study for anything... well actually, this year, my grades were a little flimsy, with some being in the 90s, Honors Math in the 80s. I'm not good at Math. Luckily my other subjects bring my average up into the 90s.

Wow, they have Reading and English separate there? Our stupid English Class is all reading books... we never do any of the literal stuff I like, like spelling or grammar.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »
Comparing each other's grades doesn't really help because you go to different school and possibly even in different states.  An "A" at on school could possibly be comparable to a "D+" at a nother school or in another class.  For example, the last school I was at had a Chemistry team that won State Chem. Comp. almost every year.  There the average student chemistry grade was a "C".  At another school the average chem. grade is an "A-", but that school didn't even make it past their local comp.  That is not to say that grades and GPA don't matter.  Colleges and Univs use GPA because it does tell a general amount of effort on the student part even if it doesn't show actual knowledge, understanding, etc.  I have a lot of strong opinions about education, tests, grades, and etc, but will not bore you with them unless you ask something specific.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 06:30:58 PM »
If you ever need help with Algebra (Or any other math course), just ask me, ok?

Anyways, it is kind of interesting how laziness can drop grades. I mean, I've been (very) fortunate to be able to not try in class and still get easy A's and A+'s (Except in Spanish last semester, where you needed a 92% for an A and I got 90.x%) Best thing I can recommend is to not slack off in the future. Not being a teacher myself, I can't look a it from that standpoint, but... that is the best I can do with this. Good luck until the end of the year.

I remember Accelerated Reader from 6th grade. After reading the unabridged version of Gulliver's Travels (300+ pages and REALLY small text), one of the questions in the 20
question test was about A SINGLE SENTENCE. AR asks the stupidest questions. EVER. Of course, he stressed the "Get one or two high grades and pile up points", so I read each book very hastily and scored about 70% or thereabouts on average. Don't worry about AR -- the questions are utter rubbish.
PS: I also have VERY strong opinions on public schooling (And just about everything else EVER) ... but I won't digress into those.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 09:03:30 PM »
I fear there is little time left, Luigison... besides, I didn't state the extra-credit business correctly...

What I meant was that if I could ask for the *previous* extra-credit work that everyone but non-AR people got, so I could get back into shape.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 09:26:32 PM »
Cool pledge.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 09:43:22 PM »
All I can say now is to try until you run out of syrup.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 09:43:33 PM »
Extra credit...  Something our high school has yet to experience.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."
"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 09:59:14 PM »
Good... I think extra credit is a bad thing for everybody.  So is grading on a curve.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 10:39:07 PM »
"AR asks the stupidest questions. EVER."

Yes, we speak the very same mind about, which I am very glad. No one else seems to agree in such a way as you do, Insane Steve.

Yes, curves suck only when the highest grade was a 99, so we only get 1 extra point. But hey, that was way back when. We don't get that crap anymore.

Extra-credit is something I don't like because it seems as if I'm stupid because I am behind a bit, but hey, when you're desperate and have 5 days until your death, then I suppose it's necessary to take it...

I hope this will NEVER happen again next year. The whole death thing was the countdown until the end of school. I must raise my grades to passing before school or I will have to attend almost a month out of 3 months of summer vacation back at 8th grade hell... which I can't afford right now.

Well, in the words of Lizard Dude:

"Cherish 8th grade because 9th will be harder.

Cherish 9th grade because 10th will be harder.

Cherish 10th grade because 11th will be harder.

Cherish 11th grade because 12th will be harder.

Etc., etc."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 08:02:31 AM »
Well, I'll cherish ninth grade because my old school(the school I'm at) sucks.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 09:45:38 PM »
Hey, ummm.... I think Dying in 3 days (maybe 6) is an overstatement. I think you should'nt mix death with school. Its kind of WRONG! I thought you were gonna die. Not funny.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 09:52:06 PM »
I agree with luigifan, but after reading your long post forgot my original feeling and simply replied to the post.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »
My History teacher once assigned us Mandatory Extra Credit. If we did it, we got extra point son our Quarter Average, If we didn't we lost point,s but it wasn't part of his grading scale.... It's really hard to explain.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2004, 09:21:57 PM »
8th grade was simple for me, and 9th grade, Still simple, yet, I am too lazy to do homework, so my grades are dropping, but, only slightly (15%).

Trainman, you will get used to it.

I thought 7th grade was my worst year ever. Average grades, bad social life, everyone in the class hated me in a way...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2004, 10:08:09 PM »
I missed two test grade assignments, both 5 paragraph essays which I had to make up by today, but I didn't, so I have to do them both tonight, or else I get an F.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 09:24:23 AM »
First post of the day!  I turned in the two assignments a few minutes ago.  Now I'm in my school's computer lab, and we're going to play the volleyball game at 11:15.  I have an idea, wherever you are at 11:15, say out loud, "Go Markio!'.  Everyone has nicknames in the game, and mine is Mark "the forest ninja" *last name*

Print