Paper Mario:TTYD
13 (46.4%)
M&L:SS
2 (7.1%)
M&L:PIT
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Mario RPG  (Read 18176 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »
You should've warned us about that spoiler, Clark.  I'm only on chapter 4 on PM:TTYD.
Anyway, as for my favorite, it's a tie between PM:TTYD and M&L:SS.  I love the humor, characters, and plot twists on both.  And on PM:TTYD I love the Super Bowser platformer thingy!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
Great, another poll where I can't decide. >:'|

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »
Hmmm... I've already voted PMTTYD, yes, and this seems like a good place for me to leave my thoughts about M&L:PiT. While it was a fine game, I do have a few comments.
1. Mario + Time travel + War of the Worlds = M&L:PiT. Anyone notice? In both cases, the aliens had been planning to attack because of their jealousy of Earth's beauty compared to their own planets. In both cases, the aliens needed our blood... well, in M&L:PiT the word "blood" was never used, but the Shroobs used the Toads' vim to power their ships. The WoTW aliens needed human blood to fertilize the red weed. That's another thing--the red weed that covered the land in WoTW is kind of like the purple mushrooms that made The Mushroom Kingdom a wasteland, particularly in Toad Town.
2. Not enough background. Look at PMTTYD's story behind the Crystal Stars and the Thousand-Year Door. Every little detail is filled in. But where did the Cobalt Star come from? Why were we expected to believe that the Cobalt Star, which was hinted to not be one of a kind, had a power over the inhabitants of a far-off planet? Hmmm...
3. You never got to go to Planet Shroob!! Sorry if that's a spoiler of some sort, but it was really disappointing. I'm not revealing the ending, but I really think it should've ended with the Bros. and babies warping to Shroob to destroy the last of them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »
I love all of the Mario RPGs.  Each one of them is great and wonderfully made.

SMRPG:  New characters, a new villain, a great story, fun battle system, creative places, you can't stop playing the game.
PM:  Simple battle system, felt like you were really there in the Mushroom Kingdom, colorful, simple, and classic.
M&L:  New kingdom, lots of twist and turns for a fresh game, challenging battle system.
PM2:  Fun chapters, cool and unique places and characters, Bowser is playable.
M&LPIT:  Neat graphics, aliens, babies, Kamek, past, fun enemies.

Notice that most all of these aspects are the same for every one of the games.  This is why Mario RPGs are so fun!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:18:57 AM by fuzzy »
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2006, 06:15:25 PM »
Hmmm... I've already voted PMTTYD, yes, and this seems like a good place for me to leave my thoughts about M&L:PiT. While it was a fine game, I do have a few comments.
1. Mario + Time travel + War of the Worlds = M&L:PiT. Anyone notice? In both cases, the aliens had been planning to attack because of their jealousy of Earth's beauty compared to their own planets. In both cases, the aliens needed our blood... well, in M&L:PiT the word "blood" was never used, but the Shroobs used the Toads' vim to power their ships. The WoTW aliens needed human blood to fertilize the red weed. That's another thing--the red weed that covered the land in WoTW is kind of like the purple mushrooms that made The Mushroom Kingdom a wasteland, particularly in Toad Town.
2. Not enough background. Look at PMTTYD's story behind the Crystal Stars and the Thousand-Year Door. Every little detail is filled in. But where did the Cobalt Star come from? Why were we expected to believe that the Cobalt Star, which was hinted to not be one of a kind, had a power over the inhabitants of a far-off planet? Hmmm...
3. You never got to go to Planet Shroob!! Sorry if that's a spoiler of some sort, but it was really disappointing. I'm not revealing the ending, but I really think it should've ended with the Bros. and babies warping to Shroob to destroy the last of them.

It seems like each of these RPGs are a parody of something. SMRPG felt like a spoof on Final Fantasy and MLSS felt like some sort of Disney movie.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »
These are all very great games -- the Mario series of RPGs have all been really, really fun to play. However, I'm still going with Super Mario RPG. The plot is much, much deeper than "OMG SOMEONE KIDNAPPED THE PRINCESSSSSSSSSSSS" -- which is important for an RPG. The maps and puzzles are a bit trickier in SMRPG, also -- I remember trying to figure out the password to that door in the Sunken Ship for days. The only gripe I had with TTYD, and this is what prevents it from being #1 ahead of SMRPG, is that there's a bit too much walking back and forth between the same area several times to advance the plot. Chapter 4 suffered from this a LOT. (Of course, I thought Chapters 3 and 6 were both rather fun, personally, because they were just different.) The Mario and Luigi games are also quite fun... although I still like SMRPG most, personally.
~I.S.~

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2006, 10:07:18 PM »
SMRPG was developed by Squaresoft and was meant to be the Final Fantasy of Mario. 
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2006, 12:41:42 AM »
Ah! You're right, traveling took too long in PMTTYD. I don't see this as something to hold it down from being #1 though. There are still pipes in the sewer accessed later, but chapter 4 did get boring going back and forth.
It's YOUR problem!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »
Well I vote Paper Mario2:The Thousand Year Door because I played Mario&Luigi(Not Partners in Time, I'm talking about Superstar Saga)And it is SO hard!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 06:58:42 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »
Well, the final boss was hard in M&L:SS.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2006, 12:25:50 AM »
Meant to be the Final Fantasy of Mario?
Source?
Forget source, where's the logic?
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2006, 04:53:34 AM »
Well, the final boss was hard in M&L:SS.
You fools need to level up. One RPG law even I don't always follow: Kill anything that moves. Also, become a Bros. Attack warlord.
It's YOUR problem!

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2006, 03:20:56 PM »
I do kill anything that moves, but Cackletta was hard.

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
SMRPG. I just... enjoy it more than other Mario RPGs. Paper Mario and PM:TTYD are pretty much equal in my opinion. PM:TTYD didn't really wow me after playing PM, but it sure wasn't worse than the first game. I don't like M&L games as much as I like the others, but they're pretty fun too.
You just wasted previous seconds of your life if you read this signature which doesn't really contain anything interesting.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »
How did you get your hands on a copy of SMRPG?

Print