Print

Author Topic: Yoshi Confusion  (Read 7870 times)

« on: January 10, 2001, 11:07:24 PM »
I have noticed lately that many people seem confused about two distinct Yoshi games.  The games in question are Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story.

Yoshi's ISLAND
Platformer for the Super Nintendo.  Utilized the FX chip for stunning graphics.  Revolutionary gameplay.  Featured 48 regular levels of play, plus 6 hidden levels and 6 bonus rounds.

Yoshi's STORY
Platformer for the Nintendo 64.  Ultimately sucked.  24 levels of play, very easy.  Beatable within 20 minutes.  Best feature- you can save your name using Japanese characters. ; )

Now, maybe I'm the confused one here... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2001, 10:17:32 AM »
Yoshi's ISLAND
Platformer for the Super Nintendo.  "Super Mario Bros. 5" or "Super Mario World 2," depending on which package you believe.  Utilized state-of-the-art crayola technology for irritating graphics.  Different gameplay.  Featured 48 boring levels of play, plus 6 hidden levels noone can find and 6 bonus rounds noone cares about.  Beatable within 30 days.  Embarrasment to "Mario" gaming and Nintendo as a whole.

Yoshi's STORY
Platformer for the Nintendo 64.  Pretty good for something in the footsteps of the "Island."  2-D masquerading as 3-D.  Revolutionary Gameplay.  24 levels of play, fairly easy. Beatable within 2 days if you unlock all the worlds.  Best feature-creative graphics.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2001, 10:44:06 AM »
Yoshi's ISLAND (1995)
2D platformer for Super Nintendo. Used FX chip for revolutionary crayola-type graphics and excellent lighting effects. Baby Mario and Yoshi vs. Baby Bowser and Kamek. Great story. Fun characters. Good sound. Best game for Super Nintendo.

Yoshi's STORY (1999)
2D platformer for Nintendo 64 (the only one so far...). Continuation of the "Yoshi's Island" story. No baby Mario. Yoshi vs. Baby Bowser. Extremely cute. Very good graphics. 3D characters in a 2D world.

*Note*: I have never played Yoshi's Story. The only time I saw it was on the box cover and in the commercials. From what I saw it looked okay.

Yoshi's Island I have played. It's definately one of the best games for the Super Nintendo!

P.S.: I have though about getting Yoshi's Story for my Nintendo 64. But everyone here says it sucks! What are your suggestions?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2001, 02:49:34 PM »
the first time i played it i beat it in two days (good thing i was just borrowing). i think its a really cool game, but it's too easy.
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2001, 08:32:09 PM »
Yoshi's ISLAND-
  Surprisingly original plotline, cool character design, loads of levels, huge/fun endbosses, collection of 100 points on each level challenging, bonus levels, bonus games, utilization of FX chip, unique art style.  Annoying Baby Mario.  Considered by most one of the best SNES platformers (in the ranks of DKC1 and 2 and SMW).  Pretty decent replay value.  One of my all-time favorites.

Yoshi's STORY-
  Insanely dissappointing pile of ****.  A retarded monkey can beat it in about 30 minutes, regardless of which levels it plays on.  Nice graphics.  Not necessarily bad, just painfully mediocre.  *******ization of the Yoshi character.  Dissapointing to most fans of Yoshi's Island.  Star Fox 64-like level progression boosts replay value.  A fun weekend rental, but,not worth buying.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2001, 05:18:24 PM »
Mega2, I don't see how you could honestly put down an awesome game like SMW2 by saying you could beat it in 30 days and arguing from a graphical point of view, and then praise YS for being beatable in 2 days and it being revolutionary when it is anything but.

And also seeing as you constantly ignore real revolutionary gameplay, as you're too conservative to appreciate when a game is good... you're too washed up in how original it is.

And two days is rather optimistic (pessimistic? Depends on your stance) for completing Yoshi's Story. I opened every level within two hours of receiving it.

You don't seem to even know why you dislike SMW2. You just do. And I think that's sad.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2001, 05:42:13 PM »
Actually, it was Mega 2 who prompted me to adress this.  He (or she, I don't know which) has always been very negative toward Yoshi's Island while praising Yoshi's Story.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2001, 11:05:53 AM »
Actually you got it all wrong!
Yoshi Story: Mario gets lost as a baby and has to rescue his brother from baby bowser. then the stork brings him home with luigi.
Yoshis Island: A big jungle and your yoshi. you try to save both brothers through a hard and tiring long trip.
Break me...I dare you.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2001, 03:43:09 PM »
Yes, talking about Mega, I´m not sure of "its" gender. Names ended in -a are for women... "in the place where I came from" -- (Marty McFly, in Back to the Future 1).
I think is he, but who knows.
"Is he? Is she? IT'S Pat!" --(Saturday Night Live).

p.s. SMW2 is Yoshi's Island, NOT Yoshi's Story.

"And remember: I know WHO you ARE, WHERE you LIVE, and MAYBE I am going to KILL you, because, now, I am the QuoteMan."
With enough soap, you can blow nearly everything up.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2001, 06:05:22 PM »
Okay, that sounded insulting.
"Mega" is not a real name.  It comes from the Greek "megas" meaning "great."  Mega Man is the (male) biomechanical protagonist in a series of video games for Nintendo.  Mega 2 is the second Mega Man created by Dr. Lite, his "brother."
In reality, I'm a 17 year old male Iowan.

Mega 2

Edited by - Mega 2 on 1/15/2001 4:09:33 PM
Mega 2

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2001, 06:13:04 PM »
Black_Yoshi... I seriously hope you were being ironic, and not ACTUALLY confusing the two titles... ~_~
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2001, 06:26:31 PM »
Ah yes!  I simply adore etymology.  _My_ username, Hinopio, is a delicate conglomeration of several ancient and archaic terms.

"Hino-" is a guttural syllable of Aboriginal origin.
"Pi" is the most beloved of the Greek symbols, and the mathematical constant representing the ratio between a circle's diameter and circumference.
And... come to think of it, I don't know why they tacked the "o" onto the end.  But there you have it-
Hino-pi-o!

I'm smart and I know it!  And you should know it too!  HAHAHA!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2001, 12:47:32 PM »
Actually, is Hi-no-pio. It means:

-Hi: Means hellow.
-No: Means no, like negative.
-Pio: In Spanish, that's the sound maded by chickens.

Then, is easy to understand that you are an alien who doesn't look like a chicken and "come in peace", saying "Hi".

"klaptu baradka nitko!"-- Bart Simpson.

"And remember: I know WHO you ARE, WHERE you LIVE, and MAYBE I am going to KILL you, because, now, I am the QuoteMan."

Edited by - Sanctus Yago on 1/17/2001 10:49:25 AM
With enough soap, you can blow nearly everything up.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2001, 04:47:45 PM »
Hinopio-"Hinopiou" is a Japanese word meaning something like "fiery brimstone."
Sanctus-You stole my quote!  AND you spelled it wrong!!!

Mega 2
Mega 2

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2001, 08:56:57 PM »
So what i got i wrong. Yoshi story is when you try to get the happy tear bac from baby bowser
Break me...I dare you.

Print