Print

Author Topic: What are you learning about in life?  (Read 21972 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2006, 09:46:49 PM »
If you really love someone, shouldn't need to look in a book to know what they're like.

Unless you're in love with a book character.
Markio, you're killing me. Say something else.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2006, 03:08:13 AM »
Markio wins post of the year.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2006, 08:29:30 AM »
Every one of his posts is an award-winner. It's good to have him back.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2006, 01:15:17 PM »
Aw....*giggles profusely* Don't die, Bird Person!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2006, 01:17:13 PM »
If you don't want us to die, then stop making us laugh so much.......or something.

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2006, 03:48:09 PM »
Oh no!  Bird Person is dying!  He needs help quick! *calls 911*

Fuzzy: Thanks for the links.  I might check those out later.  I am grateful for your concern for animals and that you want other people to feel like you, but it may not be possible to make some people believe what you do with force.  If you are more gentle about the subject, people are more likely to listen to you.  Just a little tip.

Markio: Yeah, that's definitely "post of the year" material!  I agree with you, but not entirely.  Men and women think differently from each and no matter how much you love your significan other, if you can't really understand each other then problems can happen.  Reading books about relationships won't hurt anything as long as you don't obsess over facts or do everything that everyone says.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 06:32:05 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2006, 10:11:56 PM »
lies
That was a joke.

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2006, 10:34:25 PM »
I would also like to state that throughout my life I have additionally learned that music is pure awesome.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2006, 05:31:06 AM »
I have learnt that even friends cannot be trusted all of the time. >:(
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2006, 09:25:38 AM »
Friends can be pretty dissapointing at times.  I really wanted one of my friends to sign this petition that was very important to me but she wouldn't.  Why?  I have no idea.  You think she would be a little bit more sympathetic.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »
Maybe her arm was broken.  "Friends stab you in the front."
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »
Friends can be pretty dissapointing at times.  I really wanted one of my friends to sign this petition that was very important to me but she wouldn't.  Why?  I have no idea.  You think she would be a little bit more sympathetic.

I bet she didn't believe in whatever it was the petition was for. Or maybe her arm was broken.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »
No that was not it.  She was just being lazy and didn't care about my feelings.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »
Then she's not much different from the rest of us.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2006, 07:05:50 PM »
      Okay, I think we all need to stop picking on each other.  Fuzzy, friends can get along and still disagree once in awhile.  The goal is unity and not uniformity.  If they don't really care about your feelings you can try to be nice to them anyway and see if they become nicer (which I know can be pretty tough).  If they don't then I think you might want to just stay away from them.  I hope it gets better.

CW: Do you mean I'm lying or that the books have lies in them?  If you meant me, I wasn't lying about anything (unless I said something untrue by accident).  I wouldn't be surprised if there's lots of books full of lies, but would all of them.

And now to show you what I promised!  You can tell me what you think, whether or not it sounds right, and if girls agree with anything that it says.  This comes from a quick little booklet inside the book that gives an overview to the book. 

Beginning to Understand Women

"For Men Only" Quick Start Guide

1. Reassurance
Why does she...?

• Ask do you love me even though you just said, "I love you" this morning?
  • Take your need for space as a signal that you're upset with and trying to get away from her?
  • Want to talk about your relationship... mostly at those times you least want to?

Here's why:

• Women have an underlying security about whether their man really loves them.
  • When that latent insecurity is triggered, they are often preoccupied with getting the relationship back on track.

What to do:
  • Reassure her that you love her.
  • If you need space, say something that will ease her mind, like, "I need space right now, but I want you to know that we're okay."

2. Emotions
Why does she...?

• Out of nowhere, bring up something that happened two years ago?
  • Seem to obsess about something better left alone?
  • Get an idea in her head and fixate on it, even if you've already explained why it's no big deal?

Here's why:

• Women have involuntary emotional "pop-ups" that rise from the present or the past.
  • Women often can't "compartmentalize" and just decide not to think about something that is bothering them.
What to do:

• Don't say, "Just don't think about it."  That may be physically and mentally impossible for most women.
  • Help her "close those windows" by encouraging her to take whatever action is necessary to resolve her concern.

3. Security
Why does she...?

• Accuse you of "not caring about her," when you're working long hours to provide security for her and the kids?
  • Say she doesn't feel close to you, when you two are married, and in the same house?
  • Say she wants you around more, but also seems to to want the nice things that can only come if you have a higher-paying job?

Here's why:

• For a woman, "emotional security" and closeness are far more imporant that financial security.
  • For a woman, security means you will always be there for her and closeness means you are best friends.

What to do:

• Realize that if she says she wants you around me, she's probably willing to downsize your lifestyle if it is necessary to make that happen.
  • Since it's the little thigngs that build a sense of closeness, one example is to leave her a 30-second voice mail during the day just telling her how much you love her.
  • Realize you don't have to stay in a job you dislike; your wife prefers you to be happy.

4. Listening
Why does she...?

• Say she doesn't want you to fix it, she just wants you to listen?  And what does that mean, anyway?
  • Say "You're not listening!" when you've already been listening to her for half an hour?

Here's why:

• When she is sharing an emotional problem (as opposed to, say, "The car has a flat tire"), what is she feeling about the problem is actually more important to her than the problem itself.
  • What she is feeling is actuall the "real problem."  Therefore, listening to her feelings solves the problem.

What to do:

• Instead of filtering out her emotions to focus on the problem, learn to filter out the problem in order to focus on her feelings.
  • Only after you have acknowledged her feelings will she want to focus on a solution.

5. (Not exactly appropriate for this board, sorry)

6. Beauty
Why does she...?

• Ask "Do these pants make me look fat?"
  • Ask, "How do I look?" then make you think you did something wrong when you tell her that she looks just fine?
  • Get upset just because you noticed another attractive woman walking past--even though no man with a pulse could have done otherwise?

Here's why:

• A woman has a deep need to know that her husband or boyfriend finds her beautiful.
    When she asks you how she looks, she is not asking whether she's presentable for the party.  She wants to know that she still rocks your world.
  • In this culture, where women subconsciouslly compare themselves with the other women in the mall and on television, your wife or girlfriend looks to you for cues on about whether she measures up in your eyes.

What to do:

• This one is a simple action with big impact: Tell her she's beautiful.  Regularly.
  • Make sure your visual choices tell her she's the only woman for you.
[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:33:39 PM by Yoshisaurus Rex »
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Print