Print

Author Topic: Sequel Problem Solved! (Alot of rumors were wrong!)  (Read 39102 times)

Wii

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2006, 01:52:01 AM »
I know :D
Actually, the more I think about the more it is like 64, but I don't know if that's enough to say it's a sequel. It may be, but i'm not sure. I think Nintendo would have said something by now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 01:55:25 AM by Wii »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
Who's to say it isn't? If anything it's a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, which could possibly be the sequel to SM64.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »
Again, I ask, how are you defining "sequel"? I would go with The Chef on this one, because I usually take the order in which the games come out to be the order they happen in whatever shred of storyline there might be. The most straightforward meaning of "sequel" I can think of is an installment of the story that happens after the previous one.
That was a joke.

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »
Don't forget that there are also prequels (Yoshi's Island) and interquels (Paper Mario).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:17 AM »
What exactly makes Paper Mario an interquel?

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »
It was designed as an interquel between Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64. In my old, obsolete game order I placed SMRPG much later after SM64 but it was an error.

Wii

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2006, 11:54:32 AM »
There's a difference between sequel and the next game to coma after it. A sequel either has "2" or any nother appropriate number in front, or is like another game before it in some way. When they were young, Mario games were sequels to the ones before them. SMB was like SMB2, SMB2 was like SMB3, SMB3 was like SMW, and so on, but now they are all so different and there are so many different genres (sport, adventure, fighting, action, rpg) that is not the case.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
It was designed as an interquel between Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64. In my old, obsolete game order I placed SMRPG much later after SM64 but it was an error.

It was? Where did you get this information?

« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »
64 Magazine.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2006, 04:07:04 PM »
Has it been stated anywhere besides there?

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2006, 06:16:03 PM »
I don't know, but it makes perfect sense, seeing as we know how Peach learned to cake, the BJ, why the castle is powered by stars... I could scan the magazine but you'll have to translate it from spanish to english.

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2006, 06:48:51 PM »
I'm starting to think the sequal problems haven't been solved..............again.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »
Mabye I can read it, I do know spanish...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »
I don't know, but it makes perfect sense, seeing as we know how Peach learned to cake, the BJ, why the castle is powered by stars... I could scan the magazine but you'll have to translate it from spanish to english.

I have never heard this stated anywhere else. Maybe it's unofficial.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
I don't know, I wouldn't trust a random magazine in Spanish, unless it had definite information from Nintendo.
Dear Wii, you do not know what a sequel is. There are many sequels to games, books, movies, and other things, that are not the original title with a 2 added on. Examples: Chrono Trigger, followed by Radical Dreamers: The games are vastly different, but continue in the same story. In an alternate timeline, there's also Chrono Cross to follow Trigger (similar to Super Mario [something] followed by Super Mario [something else]). Or the Star Fox games, Star Fox 64, Adventures, Assault, and Command. Each is a sequel to the one before. They do not all share the same gameplay mechanics, nor do they have any sequential numbering system. In more radical sequel-naming, we have the plays The Barber of Seville and The Marriage of Figaro. (Yes, they were plays before they were made into operas). The latter is a sequel to the former, and it is not called "The Barber of Seville 2". I can find lots more examples.
You say that a sequel is "like another game before it in some way". Well what do you know, Super Mario Sunshine is like Super Mario 64 in a lot of ways. But that isn't all a sequel can be, since many games carry on the story started in another game, yet play completely differently. If I must, I will find examples to demonstrate to you.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:29:03 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Print