Print

Author Topic: Sequel Problem Solved! (Alot of rumors were wrong!)  (Read 38359 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 09:54:26 PM »
Super Mario 64 DS is the sequel to Super Mario 64. It has some references in there that seem to support this.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 03:59:33 AM »
I still think that Super Mario Sunshine is the sequel to Luigi's Mansion, the manual of SMS says that Mario went in vacation after being imprisoned in a mansion, pretty much like Paper Mario is the prequel of Super Mario 64.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 05:59:55 AM »
I don't see how SMS could be a sequel to LM, as the gameplay and situations are completely different and unrelated (LM is action/adventure; SMS is action/platformer. The protaganist Luigi explores a mansion to save Mario; The protaganist Mario has to collect Shine Shrites.). A game that immediately follows another on a logical timescale does not make it a sequel, as making references to other games don't make them sequels neither.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:05:09 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 10:12:18 AM »
I think that you missed the meaning of sequel, a sequel is everything that goes after it (Luigi's Mansion) It doesn't matter if the player or gameplay are different.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 10:23:13 AM »
That doesn't change the fact that LM and SMS are independent games. Would you say that all of the games in the Mario series are sequels of one another?

SMS did not depend on LM to be created. M&LPiT was inspired by the concept and gameplay of M&LSS, so therefore PiT is a sequel to that. SMS is a sequel to SM64, as it shares the same concept and engine. Super Mario 128 (or at least Mario Galaxy) was inspired by Super Mario 64, as SM64 was created to be a new type of game, and Mario 128 was also intended to be a new type of game.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:41:42 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »
The Mario games don't have a cohesive sense of continuity, and therefore - shock of all shocks - there are no actual Mario sequels ("sequel" being, literally, the next game in the STORYLINE). Just additions. Shigeru Miyamoto himself has said that he doesn't want the Mario games to have a true continuity, as that would complicate things and new player would've had to play the other games to understand the story.
every

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »
Well said, Glorb. You've got sequels of certain games here and there in the series, but even then, you don't even really have to play the first one to get the full effect of the second one. For example, I've never played the first Paper Mario (I know. Shame on me.). But I have played Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and I simply love the game. I didn't really miss anything much even though I've never played its proceeding game.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »
Yeah, like The Legend of Zelda.
WTD do OoT and MM have to do with each other?!

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 02:56:39 PM »
Really SMS kinda is the sequel to SM64 because SM64 is the 6th game and SMS is the 7th but SMS isn't the sequel to SM64. Really SM64 has no true sequel. It's just a line of cannon games. And also, who cares about what the sequel is to a game. It's like crying because you pinched yourself and it didn't hurt you at all. It's just a line of games. They have SMB then SMB2 then SMB3 then SMW then SMW2: Yoshi's Island then SM64 then SMS then SMG and beyond.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »
Ah but then there's no fun on trying to make a nice ''Playing Order'' of the games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 04:47:40 PM »

I think MM is the alternate universe counterpart of OOT.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 05:33:12 PM »
I don't think it was Nintendo's intention for any of the Mario games to follow one another anyway. They were just games with different plots and ideas in each one.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
Em... MM is a direct sequel to OOT.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
Everything. In fact, if I'm right those are the only two games that even feature the same Link. After he was sent back to the past in OoT to live out his childhood, Navi left with her deeds fulfilled. Link hung out with Zelda and stuff for 3 months and then decided to search for Navi (it's a fact folks, look it up). That's when the Skull Kid ambushed him and MM began.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 04:17:55 AM »
No, there are more Zeldas that share the same Link.
Loz and AoL's Link are the same.
ALTTP and LA's Link are the same.
OOT and MM's Link are the same.
The Oracles' s Link are the same (Obviously)
TWW and PH's Link are the same.

Print