Print

Author Topic: Looks like I won't be buying Yoshi's Island 2...  (Read 19985 times)

« on: July 24, 2006, 08:53:28 PM »
I was looking forward to the game until I saw that Artoon is developing it.  Nintendo's classic Mario platformers are only so great because they have the Nintendo feel in them; ever since the original Super Mario Bros. trilogy, Nintendo had made the great platformers by themselves...yet Artoon is developing the sequel for one of my favorite games...yeah...I'm not going to buy it...

On one hand, I don't think I should be so quick to judge...but on the other hand, an awful lot of collaborated Mario spoofs didn't turn out so well.  Just look at Hudson Soft; there are 8 Mario party games for crying out loud...and there are a bunch of sports games too...I'll admit that some were great, like the RPG's.

But I just don't see this game becoming so popular; I wish Nintendo itself had developed the sequel to an amazing game such as Yoshi's Island...but until such a game is released with ONLY Nintendo's name on it, then I'm going to consider Yoshi's Island 2 a 50% Mario game. 

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:05:06 PM »
I see your point. If this turns out to be another Yoshi Touch and Go I'm gonna scream.

But you really shouldn't be too quick to judge.

And yet they already made Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island Advance so screwing around with one of the best games ever a third time might be a bad idea.

Plus there's Donkey Kong in it, and that can't be any good.
Senior Mariology professor

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:29:23 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:41:15 PM »
You guys fail at life.
Yoshi's Island 2 is good. Baby DK is good.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
Seconded.

But I probably simply won't buy YI2 because it's not a game that I terribly want.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:48:55 PM »
See, I think Artoon will be either hit-or-miss in level design. Although, it is the level design that makes YI such an amazing game, in my mind.

Of course, I'm almost certainly still going to buy it. If the levels are designed even 75% as well as the original's, it'll be worth it. I've ALWAYS wanted a sequel to YI.
~I.S.~

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:26 PM »
The level at E3 were very much like the design of the original.  SPP on the other hand didn't have nearly as good level design as other Mario platformers.  I will surely get YI2.  I just want some way to play my DS games on a TV. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 10:58:15 PM »
I don't know much about Artoon, but if you think only Nintendo can make good Nintendo games then remember who made Metroid Prime...

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:59:47 PM »
Don't forget about the Paper Mario series and Mario and Luigi series...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »
I don't know much about Artoon, but if you think only Nintendo can make good Nintendo games then remember who made Metroid Prime...
There are a lot of good non-Nintendo games for Nintendo systems, but don't consider Metroid Prime one of them.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 11:14:06 PM »
I don't get this, so CB is not gonna get YI2 just because Some other company is helping Nintendo make it? I mean Come on! Nintendo should be super busy right now, With the Wii coming up, New DS games, I think they deserve a little help, Don't ya' think? Not trying to change your mind here, It's just that isn't a very good reason to not get YI2.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 11:41:57 PM »
Well, I don't have it on my to-buy list either because, like Vid, it doesn't fit there. I mean, I have Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and likely a ton more. Does YI2 seem to be a game to pwn any of the four games I mentioned?
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43:40 PM »
TP doesn't count, It's not mario related!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 11:46:37 PM »
That doesn't change the fact that it costs money.
Edit: Or the fact it looks very much more awesome and fun than YI2.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 06:02:52 AM »
Clark, I'm with you on this one.  YI2 represents a compromise.  I'll keep an open mind, but the fact that Nintendo's not developing the game in the first place shows how much they actually care about it.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Print