Print

Author Topic: You Freak Out, You Lose  (Read 227556 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »
"Lampshaded" is derived from the phrase "hanging a lampshade" on something, or whatever. Granted, I had never heard that before visiting TV Tropes, but an internal lingo is not a reason to criticize a website. Like I said, that would cover about 96% of all websites out there.
every

« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
That one death page on TVTropes does explicitly mention near the top that there are spoilers. But you know on every other TVTropes page you're going to highlight the spoilers anyway.

I do like the idea that some tropes (okay, many of them) are named after characters or shows, so you automatically have some idea what they're referring to just by title. You probably have an idea what a Ralph Wiggum character would be. And if not, the trope name's highlighted so you can just click it to find out. Usually there's a picture to go along with it that explains the idea faster than the text does. And if you still have no clue what it is... just read a few of the examples. But then it's 5 hours later and you've forgotten what you were originally looking at.

Ditto for lampshading, never heard of it before. I still think it'd be better to define it more bluntly as "explicitly pointing out the trope." I don't really know what is meant by hanging a lampshade. I'd think of covering a lightbulb with that little frilly lamp cover. I wouldn't think of pointing a lamp or flashlight at something.

One of my favorite trope pages is Conspicuously Light Patch, which is the tendency in cartoons to have a part of the background that's going to be used stand out like a sore thumb from the rest of the background. That and Made of Explodium.

...and I think it's really silly that my browser would mark a URL as being a spelling error.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:06:22 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »

When you see it...
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
Haruhi's hair tie edited into Yui's hair. I've seen comparisons between K-ON! and the new season of TMoHS several times already, so no surprise here.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
Huh?
every

« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
I think that needs explanation for us people who don't watch anime. At first I thought it was something in her eye, but that's just the hazel color (I think it looks like a football).
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
Well I mean I see that the hairtie looks kind of shopped in but is that it? Maybe I should mix up some more concrete because I came nowhere close to [dukar]ting anything, bricks or otherwise.
every

« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
Maybe it's one of those kids who looks innocent, but then stabs you with a knife when you're not looking - with the same innocent facial expression.

You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »
I think that needs explanation for us people who don't watch anime. At first I thought it was something in her eye, but that's just the hazel color (I think it looks like a football).

Read Warp's post. Yeah, it's simply an in-joke at the fact that both shows are produced by the same studio (and attract the same audience).

I've never watched a single episode of K-ON! though. Always thought it looked like a generic moe show.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »
I've never watched K-ON! either, but I started reading the fan-translated manga half an hour ago, and it definitely seems like a pretty generic slice of life series.

Fun fact: "moe" is a word that exists only to flop about in conversations about its own meaning.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
What about if one intends to serve up a Flaming Homer for one's homies and decides to call it by its alternate name?

Unless this is another nerd thing.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
Re: Area 64, I can't recall the last time I used TMK-exclusive (or LD-generated) lingo.
That was a joke.

« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
When bald junkies take dumps outside my house I just grab a baseball bat instead of filming them.
every

« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print