Print

Author Topic: A Nintendo 64 story...  (Read 1361 times)

« on: January 26, 2004, 07:57:49 PM »
I just was thinking about something and I felt like writing it out.

I remember one Christmas, not sure which one, but it was 5 or 6 years ago, and I had just gotten into the "double digits" of age I guess. In my gift-grabbing spree, I rushed down the stairs to all our presents and began opening them, though at a moderate pace. New pair of socks here, snack food there, a few PlayStation games. Then I got to a 6 inch by 6 inch cube, and I opened it rather tentatively. It was the box of a red Nintendo 64 controller, and my father piped up, "Oh... I guess your mother made a mistake, and just got it because it's red." (Red was (and is) my favorite color. We didn't have N64, but PlayStation. I fell for this, disappointed.) A few presents later, there were a couple left, and the first I took was Super Mario 64; now, I knew something was up. I hadn't played any Mario games in forever (I don't think I had any for SNES for a long time)... but I recognized him from my Super Mario Brothers days. As all of you reading this have probably already guessed, the next present was a Nintendo 64. I was surprised out of my mind, and I felt a funny closeness to Mario then; it was one of the best Christmases I'd ever had. Not only was I re-united with an old "friend," I made advancements that probably were crucial in defining me as a Mario fan (the SMBHQ purity test said I was 'obsessed' ^_^) instead of becoming one of those icon-less PlayStationers (I know they have some icons, but... I never really thought so).

Everybody do the Mario.

Mario`s adventure is over for now, but,

Mario`s dream lives forever...

Dream on, Mario... dream on.

Edited by - Super Mario on 1/26/2004 6:02:20 PM

Kickin' it since 2000.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 08:31:14 PM »
Very cool story. I don't even remember when I started playing video games, but my parents say I used to mess around with controllers when I was like 2, and actually realized that pressing the A button did something specific when I was middle 3, and I actually beat The Legend of Zelda when I was 4 (Using a PLayer's Guide. Jeeze, gimme a break) and finally beat Super Mario Bros. while I was 4 also. Afterwards, it was straight uphill from there, and the thought of buying a different system has yet to cross my mind.

Print