Print

Author Topic: SM64 & DS debug screen and glitch  (Read 6264 times)

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
To get a cool debug screen in SM64 for the ds is to first freeze the game. This is hard to do seeing that you must find a glitch to do that. Well I did. to freeze glitch it:

1. go to Snowman's Land

2.go to the bridge that crosses the snowmans mouth and get blown off.

3. Your hat will fall off and appear on the small snowman on the ground that throws snowballs at you

4. DO NOT TAKE YOUR HAT BACK!

5. go back to the bridge and get blown off again (without your hat)

6. Now pick up the box near where you are spawned when you enter the level and throw it at him.

7.two hats will fall off his head. get them both and let yourself be blown off again.
kill the snowman again and 4 hats will fall, pick them all up (the hats increase exponentially).

8. keep reapeating this process until when you run towards the small snowman everything is slowed and choppy (around 64 hats, ironic huh?)

9. throw the box and the game will freeze. Now you must hold down these buttons in the EXACT order I say: "L, R, Left, A"

10. Let go and hold down: "Down, B". Let go and Hold "START, SELECT"

And there you have it. A cool debug (or error log) screen. Enjoy!
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Ok to beat mario 64 with only 16 stars you must start a new game, get 8 stars, beat the first Bowser, get the key he drops, open the key door to the basement, and get another 7 stars, (bringing you to 15 stars). Now when you get your 15th star there will be a yellow rabbit in the basement. Here you must perform a very difficult glitch to continue. You must get yourself and the rabbit through the door. When you catch him, don't grab the star he gave you just pick him up again and bring him to the door. Now what you must do is get as close to the door as you can with him and set him down as close to the right edge of the door as possible. This may take a very long time to accomplish (it sure did with me!) but what should happen is you all of the sudden shift inside the door. Yes, you will be INSIDE the door between the basement and the room that will lead out of the basement. Now when this happens don't move! Get into crawling position and face the rabbit, stand up and pick up the rabbit. If you miss you will walk out of the door and will have to start all over again! Anyways when you have the rabbit in your hands turn around and drop him on the other side of the door. I really suggest you watch this happen on YouTube before you attempt it because it will be eaiser to see how this works with your eyes. When you've done this, pick him up again and run over to the star door in the basement (the second boswer) and you must do this again. For some reason the second time is extremely easy, all you have to do is place him as close to the door as you can in any area and you'll just warp inside the door. Ok now run into the world that is inside that door and get another star (making 16 stars total). When you come out there will be a little hole thing in the ground which is bowser. After you beat him and get the key run up to the first floor again and put the key in the third door and enter the second floor. Now this glitch is even more difficult than the first (I think). You must do a long jump backwards up the stairs to the third star door. To accomplish this, stand with you back to the stairs run a little ways from the steps and press Z+A WHILE HOLDING THE CONTROL STICK THE OPPOSITE WAY YOU ARE JUMPING so you do a long jump backwards up the steps!! Make sure you never let go of the Z button. Now when this backwards long jump touches the ground, (remember you still should be holding the Z button) press A again while holding the control stick backwards to perform another backward long jump. Now on about the third time you do this Mario will start to look like he's doing very small long jumps up the stairs and making a weird noise, this means the glitch is starting, keep jamming the A button and Mario will suddenly fly up the stairs and smash right through the star door (well not actually, he more just goes through it backwards without opening it). Now again, I highly suggest you watch this on YouTube because it's very hard to do this without seeing it with your eyes first. Now that your through the door run up the the other star door and you will enter it. You will come to the "Never Ending Stairs" to make the stairs "Ending" do the stairs glitch that I described earlier. and you can then jump into the hole that leads to the final Bowser and beat him. With only 16 stars.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
It's possible through emulation to beat the game with 0 stars. Flying through walls and traveling through a level at mach speed and all that. No cheats are used except totally exploiting the game's glitches.
See?

Seeing Mario fly through Bowser In The Sky like that is a thing of beauty.
Dive-jumping across the edge of a lava pit is still the coolest thing I've ever seen Mario do.

And this is frickin' amazing. I've never seen Mario jump over the entire Chain Chomp area, and that's just one of the things that happens.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:11:59 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:34:54 PM »
I knew how to freeze the game (it can also be done in Shifting Sand Land, but it's easier in Snowman's Land), but I just couldn't remember the debug/error log screen code. Thanks for the refresher.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Wow that is cool.  I didn't know you could do that.  Nice!  oh and your welcome N64 chick ;)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
interesting glitches there, if I ever find my copy, I'll have to try them.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
Yeah their pretty awsome :D

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
Thanks for this. It's pretty cool.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
I wish I had a decent N64 controller so I could try that. Sounds neat.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »
Decent controller?
Is yours broken or something?
What do Yoshi eggs taste like?

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
You can exploit tons of errors through Action Replay DS and get to the error log. In fact, any time you freeze the game on both Super Mario 64 DS (excluding taking out game) and New Super Mario Bros. (including taking out game). New Suoer Mario Bros. is a bit harder to do.

Heres how I usually get to the debug screen on SM64DS via ARDS:

--- Part 1: Recieving Code. ---
To make sure you can do this, update your Action Replay to the latest version and get the newest codes.

--- Part 2: Using the Code. ---
This all depends on what make of AR you have.

Make 1: The AR has an opening slot on both sides.

Make 2 (most recent): AR only has one opening.

Make 1:

1.Put the AR in the DS and turn on the DS.

2. Touch the Touch Screen.

3. When AR loads, put SM64DS in the slot facing towards you.

4. When the screen has Super Mario 64 DS on it, choose the checkmark in the bottom left corner of the touch screen.

5. Scroll down until you see the folder marked Debug Levels.

6. Choose Debug Level 2.

7. Press Go.

8. When SM64DS starts up, choose Adventure.

9. Choose a file, but hold down the button sequence that was in the title of the code (not written here.)

10. You are now at the level.

You can now explore the level and get the star here. If you have 120 stars, you can get 121 here.

--- Part 3: Activating the error log. ---

1. Eiether jump off the level or collect the star.

2. You will show up in the Castle Grounds.

3. Go to either door and open it.

4. The game will freeze. Hold down: "L,R,Left,A" and then let go.

5. Hold down: "Down,B."

6. Let go. Then hold down Start and Select.

Congratulations, you are now at the error log.

Here, you will say the day your copy was finished, what the code name for the level you are in is, why the game screwed up, and more!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »
One controller's joystick has such a huge dead zone that it's practically unusable, another's joystick won't register going to the right, and the third is kind of in a lot of pieces in a landfill somewhere.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
Does the SM64DS debug screen only say how long you have been playing?
Noy Duh

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
No. It says the date your copy was completed, what the level name is, why the error happened, and some more stuff.

Anybody notice I changed the thread name?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:38:15 PM by luigalaxy »

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
Yeah using an AR (action replay) is alot easier than finding freezing glitches on your own but for people that don't have one which is most people need something to work with other than a AR.  Thats why I posted how to freeze the game without one.

Print