Print

Author Topic: Compare  (Read 20482 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »
It shouldn't matter; if I made a video game called "Gordzilla" about a giant lizard named Gordzilla who terrorizes Kyoto and fights Rordan and Kring Gridora, it's still a Godzilla ripoff. Okay, crappy example, but you get the point. On the other hand, I see what you mean; they're two very different mediums, so yeah.

And I just realized; all The Chef and I do now is argue.
every

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:35 AM »
Arguments, arguments...well I hope that at least these arguments are fruitful for you both.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Jman

• Score
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
Yeah, but...

1. They both end in "mon" (as in, "Hey, mon, what's up?")
2. Both games deal with collecting various annoying creatures
3. They both take place in some sort of alternate universe where said creatures are commonplace
4. The creatures in both games will grow into some bigger, badder form
5. Both series had one or more crappy movies based on it
6. Both Digimon and Pokemon have some sort of "main" creature used in all their marketing (Pokemon - Pikachu, Digimon - That little annoying dinosaur thing)
7. They both have a trading-card game

But...they are in no way the same thing.  Digimon had a lot more heart to it, and the basic theme that they all have to work together to stand strong and save the world.  In Pokemon, the main goal is to be the best Pokemon master ever, on your own.  Yeah, you have friends, but you figure they eventually have to have these friends duke it out to see who's the best.  Not to mention the sacrifices made by certain characters to save others in Digimon.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
Er, friendship with your Pokemon is heavily stressed in most Pokemon-related media.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2007, 07:36:01 PM »
I thought we were comparing people with Mario characters.

Only in the first season of the anime was Agumon supposedly a main creature used for marketing, and that was mostly because his human partner, Tai, was basically the leader figure for the Digi-destineds.  Second season had Veemon.  Trust me, I practically worshiped Digimon back when I was 12.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2007, 07:37:27 PM »
No, in the first post I said it can be any character, not just Mario.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »
You mean not just Mario characters?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Jman

• Score
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
I guess the only true difference is that the Digimon could actually speak english other than just saying their names.  I mean, speaking English in a way humans can understand.

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »
You mean not just Mario characters?

Uh-huh. Mario is speaking of characters in general.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »
I guess the only true difference is that the Digimon could actually speak english other than just saying their names.  I mean, speaking English in a way humans can understand.
There are more differences, but you have to have been devoted to both franchises in order to find them
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
I guess the only true difference is that the Digimon could actually speak english other than just saying their names.  I mean, speaking English in a way humans can understand.

How can that be the only true difference if we've already covered a whole bunch of differences? Do you contradict yourself often?

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2007, 02:05:45 PM »
http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/
I've been meaning to post this, but just never got to it.  It's got a bit of variety, and some of them are kinda funny.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Jman

• Score
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
How can that be the only true difference if we've already covered a whole bunch of differences? Do you contradict yourself often?

Sometimes, yes.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/
I've been meaning to post this, but just never got to it.  It's got a bit of variety, and some of them are kinda funny.
This is for Bird Person.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Jman

• Score
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:27 PM »
One thing's for sure, Pokemon had the better game, and Digimon had the better show, plot wise.

Print