Print

Author Topic: Classical music  (Read 6863 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
I've noted before that I am not very keen on the idea of a musical genre -- it limits expression. But if I had to choose a zenith to all music, it would be classical. It is impossible to find music with more intelligence or emotion, in this way it exposes the shocking tastelessness of today's pop music. What irks me is when I ask young people my age if they like classical. Most say that it's too boring, which is an indication of their lack of musicality. I've also been told it doesn't have enough anger. Listen to some Rachmaninov and you will find more ferocity than any screamo band out there. And classical composers all have incredibly interesting lives, Beethoven being probably the best example. For such beautiful music to come from a deaf man is truly a notable human achievement. Let's all give some love to classical.

Oh, and if you appreciate classical, what are your favorite composers? I'm mainly into Brahms, Chopin, Beethoven, and Handel. 
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:17:26 PM »
Some favorites of mine are Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Debussy, Arvo Pärt, Samuel Barber, Béla Bartók, Alexander Borodin, Dmitri Shostakovich and Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakoff.
As for a high point in music, a lot of great music is still being written. It's not like it's all pop music today or something. Pretty hard to get better than Beethoven, really, though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:21:10 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »
I sound heavily biased against modern music. Perhaps I should rephrase some of that. I like modern music too. I'm into lots of indie and some dance music.  And I love older acts like David Bowie, Led Zeppelin (as my first screen name would have it), and others. I just find more meaning in classical than most else. 

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
I like Led Zeppelin and Boston.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »
Anyway, back to classical.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
That is classical, right?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
Those classical guys were more tortured and "emo" than most any band today can pretend to be!

Granted, classical songs aren't always the most engaging, but they're wonderfully pleasing to the ear and make a great soundtrack (1812 Overture 4 Life!).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
Is TEM acting like he doesn't know anything on purpose? I like a lot of classical. I love Ludwig Van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johannes Brahms, Antonio Vivaldi, Claude Debussy, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Dmitri Shostakovich, Benjamin Britten, Arvo Pärt... I like pretty much all classical. Also, I believe that Jazz is America's classical music.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:45:47 PM by Rao »
What's your problem, Cambodian?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
I only wish I could match the names with the songs with the sounds of the songs more often... I'll hear a great classical tune every now and then, but I can't pin down the name!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »
I'd just reiterate all of Rao's favorites if I had to make a list, but I also know of many Romantic style artists I love, like Franz Schubert, Ottorino Respighi, and Felix Mendelssohn. I could also mention Paul Hindemith for only one thing: Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes of Weber. Just about everything else Hindemith wrote I would classify as "crazy, perhaps scary nonsense."

Classical is my favorite type of music, as I was raised amongst primarily classical, and I've gained an appreciation for how imaginative it can be-- both in content and how one perceives it. My all time favorite composer is Dmitri Shostakovich, with Ottorino Respighi coming in a close second.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:21:18 PM by Suffix »

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
My favorite composer would have to be Mozart. His piano skills were amazing, anyone that plays the piano looks up to that guy.

The only thing that beats classical is a bit of smooth jazz, which is equally amazing as funk jazz. The Night Court theme, anyone?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
John Williams.

He counts, right?
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
Sure. I don't think he's written music for anything but movies, but it's almost exactly the same style as classical. Did you know Dmitiri Shostakovich got his start playing the piano behind the scenes for silent movies in Russia?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 02:11:23 PM »
Sure. I don't think he's written music for anything but movies, but it's almost exactly the same style as classical.

At least nothing super famous. I'm sure he's written stuff that has nothing to do with film. That is simply where his strong suit is.

Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »
John Williams.

He counts, right?
He definitely counts. The composer and guitarist.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print