Print

Author Topic: Canon, plot, style: What's your opinion?  (Read 14548 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
MK:DD!!: Marshmallow with a crown (and not as awesome as King Nimbus, either)
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
The Big Boo in SM64 is an offshoot of the idea of Big Boos in Super Mario World. King Boo was new in Luigi's Mansion. King Boo in SMS is an extension of the idea in LM, although not as cool of a version. That's all the stuff in Mario games is, a collection of ideas, changing from one game to the next.
That was a joke.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
Miyamoto is not the Jesus of gaming.
Actually, he really is.

Jesus, with the backing of the power of God, saved us from our sins.

Miyamoto, with the backing of the power of Nintendo, saved us from the video game crash of 1983.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »
Great analogy, LD.

Hey, wait a moment... I'm gonna throw out a totally random idea for whatever fanfic-writer with block wants.
Maybe King Boo looks like he does in Sunshine because after he lost to Luigi in Luigi's Mansion and was somehow released from the painting, he was so depressed he took to drinking and gambling! That explains everything... But what kind of nut would carry out a story based on an idea like that? Ahahaha...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 11:33:31 AM »
Degradation is always fodder for a great story.

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Actually, I need to amend my previous post. King Boo and Big Boo are in fact different; that was my error in writing the post. Recall that, in SM64, King Boo captured Luigi, and was defeated by Mario Note that the N64 version was slightly inaccurate, as it did not show that Mario, Luigi, and Wario were captured as the DS version did.

Suffix: OK, I realize that I cantradicted myself there. What I meant is this: "conjecture" is different in "making it up"; what you have to do is take the available facts and use those facts to fill in the details. It's not terribly concrete, but you have to work with what you have, right?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS are both each as valid as the other. This is why there is no canon and Super Mario 64 DS is not somehow more "accurate" than Super Mario 64.

Conjecture is totally making stuff up. There is no logical way to "fill in the gaps".
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »
Heheh. I decided long ago that making sense out of the different Mario games was a tiresome and ultimately futile effort. It's fun when you do see references to other games, though. (like SPM and previous Paper Marios)

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS are both each as valid as the other. This is why there is no canon and Super Mario 64 DS is not somehow more "accurate" than Super Mario 64.

Conjecture is totally making stuff up. There is no logical way to "fill in the gaps".

I disagree. There is a way to fill in the gaps; you just have to use your imagination to fill in details that make sense with what facts are given.

And how can SM64 and DS be as valid as each other? in 64, neither Luigi nor Wario are present, but they both are in DS. Unless, of course, Bowser executed the same exact plan twice, but that doesn't make sense at all.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »
And when someone else fills in a completely different piece of randomness that makes sense to them, what then?

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS are the same story, executed somewhat differently. It's like the multiple versions of the first Castlevania game. Just because the DS version came later doesn't make its revisions more correct than the original version of the game. Super Mario Advance remakes are the same.
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
The thing that would please me the most if the series had a stronger continuity would be that maybe then some of the characters introduced in the spin-offs (namely the RPG's) would have a chance of returning in later games. I recently cleared Super Paper Mario, and almost as soon as i had finished it, i got a bit sad thinking about how the events and characters in that awsome game (with its awsome storyline) will probably never be refered to again.

I would be immensely happy to see Dimentio come back in a future game, with new nasty tricks up his sleeve. But i know that, in reality, that simply wont happen, and he and the other characters from that game will never be seen again. Never, ever again. EVER. :'(

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »
The thing that would please me the most if the series had a stronger continuity would be that maybe then some of the characters introduced in the spin-offs (namely the RPG's) would have a chance of returning in later games...I would be immensely happy to see Dimentio come back in a future game, with new nasty tricks up his sleeve.

I have the same opinion, and I felt the same way after beating Super Paper Mario. The RPGs have lots of brilliant new characters. Why throw them away after one game?

Not to advertise, but I felt that way so strongly I decided to create this, which is definitely something you'd be interested in (if you haven't already seen it, that is).
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 06:58:49 PM »
Why reuse the same old characters time and time again?
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43:21 PM »
A really good character will make you miss him/her.

Speaking of which, why use the same old enemies over and over again? I'd say it's for a similar reason.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »
The only thing I look for in Mario games is old environments, items, etc. put to use in a new way, and if they can keep the geography of Mario's world connected in a way.

What I mean is, hearing old music, seeing ? blocks everywhere and old rolling hills with eyes is awesome. Take MK:DS for example! The SMB3 blocks and colored blocks with the screws or whatever made it and the Sun from that World 2 level!

Coming back to the locations of stuff.... I kind of don't like when the Mushroom Kingdom or the castle changes with every single game. Like with Mario Kart, Golf, and Tennis. Seeing the castle at every track with "Mario" or "peach" in it was annoying, like seeing a road going around the castle, then that same spot being home to Toadstool Tour's 18th hole on whatever the mario course was, then that same spot being home to the Mario & Luigi tennis courts. Then in SSBM the castle has water and rolling hills behind it, then with Paper Mario, Toad Town is right in front of the castle. I mean, crap, do they have Toad contractors that build whatever Peach or Mario want every year? I liked it in the first smash when the background to Mario's place was the castle as it appears in SM64, and in MK64, when the castle appears just as it is in 64 just with the track in front of it. That kinda tells you they were wanting to chill for a bit before going crazy. When are they gonna keep one thing or just modify the existing?

And also, a big question.. since you can see Mario's world in Galaxy... is it home to Nintendo's whole array of folks? Or are they living on different planets nearby that are near each other or visit earth for games such as brawl and the Olympic games? I mean, where in Mario's world is Delfino? Yoshi's island? Why in the world was Mario's world reduced to a chain of islands in SMRPG? Where is Toad Town, and Keelhaul Key and Rougetown in relation to everything else? Where's Mario's house and Luigi's Mansion? Where was the location of World 1's first level in SMB1? Was it next to SMB3's World 2? Standing from Vista Hill, can you see the Shine Gate in the distance?
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print