Print

Author Topic: Video Game Commercials  (Read 7616 times)

« on: March 19, 2006, 01:04:49 AM »
What is your favorite commercial for a video game (does not have to be Mario related)?

A couple of mine are:

The Super Smash Bros 64 commercial where Mario, Yoshi, DK, and Pikachu were frolicking through the flowers.

.. and then (this one is an old one) there was the commercial a really long time ago that I think was a Walmart/Mario game commercial.. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that the commercial was set up like a side scrolling Mario game set in a grocery store, but when Mario got 'fire power', he ended up dressed kind of like an elf. He would carry a sack around, and when he shot a 'fireball', it would be thrown at people that had shopping carts, and suddenly they would get the system/game that was being advertised in the commercial.

I'm pretty sure that second one is pre-Super Mario World, but I am just not sure, really. ^_^

Post your favorites! :D
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:39:47 AM »
I particularly like the costumed character ones
1. SSB "Happy Together"
2. MKSC
3. Mario Party 4
4. Mario Party 5

I also thought the SMA4 Japanese schoolchildren was well done as well as the MKDS desert one.
The recent Tetris DS one is pretty good too.

The banned Xbox 360 mall commercial was pretty cool too.

The Japanese LTTP commercial wins the hilarity award.

There are probably others, but that's what I can think of off of the top of my head.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16:50 AM »
I liked the Double Dash!! one that promoted that a GC would come with DD free.

Mario threw a bannana at Santa!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:01:37 AM »
Why was the Xbox commercial banned?

I always like the commercial for the first Super Smash Brothers.  "So Happy together..."
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:34:39 AM »
I guess I'm not alone.  The commercial for SSB(N64)  is one of my personal favories.  "So Happy Together"

Pokemon Crystal one where the archaeologists were pushing at a door with Unown markings on it...
Kid 1: (in foreign language) Should we tell them it says "pull"?
Kid 2: (in foreign language) No way bro.
...is a riot!

I think there was an old one for one of the early Zelda games in which these kids were rapping.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »
I loved the first Mario Party commercial. If I remember it right, Mario was being busted by two cops for a neighborhood disturbance. I lol'ed so hard at that one... XD

I also liked the "got milk?" commercial that had a kick off of Mario. These two boys were playing Mario 64. It went something like: "Come on Mario, jump!" (Mario jumps into wall & falls) "Come on, Mario!" (Mario hits wall again) "Ugh, I give up!" (kids leave room)(Mario jumps out of television and gets a bottle of milk)(Mario goes back into the television and jumps the obstacle) ^_______^

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
THe Super Princess Peach commercial is pretty good, too! It's cute, how all the girls are going through training, milatary-style!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:20:17 PM »
But like the end, pretty bad, I mean they're not even in a bad mood and they can set a barrier on fire with their minds.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:00:09 PM »
Now the baseball one was BAD! All of the mario sports video game commercials these days are people in HUGE costumes! I mean geeze!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:52:03 PM »
I agree with pt_peach. I'm sick of all these costume commercials.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 03:01:34 PM »
My favorite's the Japanese SMA3: SMW2 Yoshi's Island one with the hand-drawn Yoshies in the storybook. The one for Mario Party 4 with the Yoshi flying into the highway overpass cracked me up as well. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »
.. and then (this one is an old one) there was the commercial a really long time ago that I think was a Walmart/Mario game commercial.. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that the commercial was set up like a side scrolling Mario game set in a grocery store, but when Mario got 'fire power', he ended up dressed kind of like an elf. He would carry a sack around, and when he shot a 'fireball', it would be thrown at people that had shopping carts, and suddenly they would get the system/game that was being advertised in the commercial.

That wasn't a Wal-Mart commercial. It was a Pepsi/Nintendo promotional giveaway for the NES and the original Game Boy. X-Entertainment has an article on it (I think).

As for my favorite VG commercials.

Super Smash Bros. The brawl between Mario, Yoshi, DK and Pikachu while So Happy Together plays in the background = Priceless.
The "Got Milk" Mario commercial.
The Mario Kart Super Circuit commercial.
The Pikmin 2 commercial. It's midgets in Pikmin costumes, what else could be better!
The original Pokemon Red & Blue commercials. By which I mean the one with the vacuum sucking in all the Pokemon and the bus driver trapping them in a bus.
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA commercial. I don't know why, but I just like it.

As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 05:58:57 PM »
Here's 3.

1. The SM64 milk one was very funny, and I remember it.

2. The first time Pokemon was released with the kid who opens the pizza box, containing a Snorlax.

3. The MP6 one w/ Bowser using the flamming hot toothpaste.

I think I vaguely remember the SSB one.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
I don't see a lot of Nintendo ones anymore, but I have an idea.  I think they should make one like the PSP one.  You know the one with the people throwing it around.  Well they should do that, and when they toss the PSP, they should have a guy holding a DS and letting the PSP drop, and smash into pieces. And then have the guy continues with his walking and playing at the same time. That would be hilarious!!! XD
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:13:53 PM by G-Dawg »

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »
But they can't considering they're not given permission to another company's product, especially with the destroying of it, and no I don't think they could just make a cheap fake one because that would be trying to hide the fact that they were stealing the idea from the other company just to make them look bad.
I'm a horrible person.

Print