Print

Author Topic: Pain from Video Games  (Read 6084 times)

« on: July 13, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »
Have you ever hurt yourself or had sore muscles from video games? I'm sure many had some pain.

Some examples are getting carpal tunnel from too much time on the CPU. I actually got one from playing and hanging out on the Fungi Forums.

I also got a blister on the palm of my hand from games on the N64 that required you to rotate the control stick. An example is from Mario Party. There's a game where you have to rotate the stick fast. What do you do? Most people would use their finger but I found a way to rotate faster. put the stick on the palm of your hand and rotate your hand like you're cleaning a window very fast or something. I was able to beat the CPU, but i used this technique too much and I got a blister right on the palm of my hand.

I got another blister on the GC controller. When you have to press A a lot in a limited time, I rake the controller. I take the part of my hand between the joint after the knuckles and rub it on the A button. Then I press A really fast. The harder I do it, the faster. You can do 3/4 as much as a turbo controller if you do it really hard. But prolonged use will make a blister.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 10:22:14 AM »
I got a sore wrist from playing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour too much back in 2003.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:32:10 AM »
too much time on the CPU.

WRONG WRONG WRONG
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
When I was little I would watch my older brothers play video games until they kicked me out because they said I was messing them up so I would hide behind the couch and watch anyway but when they discovered where I was they'd throw a pillow at me and that kind of hurts but not really.  Long sentence!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »
I cut my finger open once from punching the dog in Duck Hunt. That's really about it.
~I.S.~

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 11:45:31 AM »
ewwwwwwwwwwww, well sometimes I get sore eyes while playing SMW late.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 12:04:35 PM »
My right thumb was very sore and cramped from play Mario Kart DS.  I wish there was a way to change the button setup in all games.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:03:13 PM »
My right wrist hurts when playing the DDR simulator on my computer. (Yes, I know, it's wrong to play with your fingers. Shut up.)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »
When I play Metriod Prime Hunters on my DS lite, the corners poke my hands, it usually isn't too bad, but my palms came close to bleeding once.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »
I remember playing Call of Duty 2 once. I got shot, and the graphics were so realistic that I really felt the pain (it wasn't that painful). And then in the Leningrad course... I jumped out of a window. It really felt like I was jumping off of something! And then there was that time I was playing my Sega Dreamcast. There are these little tiny bumps on the analogue stick, and after playing for a couple of hours, I got blisters all over my thumb.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »
The only thing that's ever given me trouble is a tired left arm from DS and, mainly, a cramped hand from the mouse.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »
I sometimes get headaches from concentrating too hard while I button-mash.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »
I never have these kinds of problems, but when my parents play MK:DD!! with me, they get sore thumbs.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 08:18:21 PM »
I also got a blister on the palm of my hand from games on the N64 that required you to rotate the control stick. An example is from Mario Party.

Lots of people (myself included) got blisters from Mario Party.  Nintendo even released a fingerless glove for people to wear for the original Mario Party in response to customer complaints.  They gave them out free to people who sent in receipts for the original Mario Party.  I never got one (who keeps the receipt?) but I saw the offer on the news.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 08:29:03 PM »
My hands often got sore from the rotating in Mario Party, and like many people, I once got a blister from it.
My hands also get sore from extensive playing of Mario Kart games, and they get cramped from playing on a GBA for extended periods of time. The layout of the A and B buttons just feels awkward compared to other controllers/handhelds.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print