Print

Author Topic: Game Endings (spoliers!)  (Read 9003 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:47:10 AM »
Every game must come to an end in some way or another. No matter how enthralling the experience of gameplay, there has to be some sort of ending, a feeling of accomplishment, or else the player will be ticked off. Some games have great endings (GTA: San Andreas, many Sonic games), others have lousy ones (Halo 2, most Sonic games). And a lot of games have multiple endings, such as Fable, the Street Fighter games, and indeed, most Sonic games.
But the question is, how are these endings? Good, bad? Do you feel better or worse if you can continue playing after the ending, or even if there is no ending at all? Be warned, spoilers are encouraged, so if you don't like spoliers, then...don't read the topic, I guess. Or do.
every

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:55:25 AM »
Paper Mario had a nice, long, entertaining ending. I don't know how long I sat there, commenting everyone's floats. I felt like I had achieved a job well done. I love spoilers, cause they don't really spoil anything for me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:08:52 PM by pt_peach »
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Yeah, PM did have a long ending. It was about ten minutes, I think. But it was very well-put-together, so it was worth it. GTA: Vice City had a long ending in that after you finish the game, you get a bunch of long phone calls from various people.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »
Metal Gear Solid's endings are always excellent, and leave you with a lot of questions, kinda like Halo 2, but not really confusing in a bad way, they really keep your imagination running. MGS3's ending in particular was totally excellent. It was very emotional and epic. I just about cried too! It was the best.
GTA: San Andreas had a good ending as well, just like Halo, and a lot of the classic Metroid games. I mean, everyone was shocked when they found out samus is a girl! I know I was...

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
Star Fox Command has 9 endings, the best one (and most canon) being the one where Fox and Krystal have a child.

The worst one was the ending where Falco and Fox join the F-Zero (or whatever) race track thingie. I thought it was kinda stupid.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:08 PM »
PMTTYD's ending did not seem as "rewarding" as PM's ending was. For example, Bowser was defeated in a fantasic explosion, and Mario and Peach were visibly living happily ever after, with the most cheerful of music. We then got to watch the parade as the credits. In PMTTYD the Shadow Queen did nothing but disappear in a flash of light. PMTTYD's overall dark atmosphere limited its abilites to create a awe-inspiring ending, and there wasn't much "joyfulness" as PM had in its ending. The music as a whole actually had a very meloncoly feel, lacking the joy and boost PM's music had. PMTTYD's credits sequence simply had the cliche "screenshots from important scenes in the game" accompanying it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:09:44 PM »
I must admit, I love the ending of Yoshi's Island. It really brings a tear to my eye, especially with the song that plays during the credit roll.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 07:21:42 PM »
As a result of playing way too much, I have already beaten Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. The ending was pretty awesome, but I still have unanswered questions and other stuff.
I know it says in the topic's title, but if you missed it, beware of
SPOILERS. Seriously, this will ruin everything for you.
Who was the person Ninetales REALLY cursed? This is the number one thing I need to know.
I'm glad that the player's human from wasn't seen, but a flashback to when you accept the test would've been all right. Maybe more of the player's background could've been shown.
And why exactly was this particular Gardevoir to watch over you? I know it's part of the curse, but...
Well, other than those things, awesome plot. Great new gameplay. REALLY GREAT ending. It was a good challenge until I sat down to train for three days, and around level 27 nothing could kill me.
Oh, and when I beat it it made me sad (not to the point of tears). I wish it wouldn't have ended.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »
I like the ending to Super Mario World, but I don't know why?!?
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »
I like Paper Mario Two's ending. Specifically the part on the dock where everybody said goodbye to Mario.
Sonic Adventure Two would have a perfect ending, if Shadow had stayed dead.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:27:11 PM »
Mabey I'm crazy, but I like the endings for most of the Mario games (the platformers). Sure, most of them just show a part of the map and a gameplay screenshot, but it's what happens before that that I like the most.. the parts where you know the Princess has been saved and makes a lame joke attempt, but at least you know she's safe, or the Yoshi eggs hatch. :)

The RPG endings have all been good. Mario RPG's was the best, with Paper Mario close behind it. M&L's was just kind of.. not as good, but still pretty good, and PM2's was not good. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting something way better.

Now, the spinoff titles.. I have never seen a Dr Mario game have an ending, but more of a congratulatory "thanks for playing this far" screen. The Mario Kart endings have been alright.. my favorite one has been the ending for MK64, and the worst one (in my opinion) is MKDS. All the character endings in the first Mario Tennis game were great, and I guess they were good in MPT too (I just hate the fact that Petey Pirahna is in that game.. his ending was just stupid). About the Mario Party endings.. they have all been good, except for MP's Advance, 6, and 7, with MP7 having the worst ending ever for an MP game (or mabey not.. I still can't decide whether MP 6 or 7 has the worst ending..) MP Advance only beats out those two for the worst ending because at least MPA's ending was fun! You could press a button to make the 4 characters dance!! w00t for interactivity!

Outside of Mario endings, I've also liked the Zelda and Metroid endings, as well as Chrono Trigger's (all of them), and, while it doesn't have an ending, Roller Coaster Tycoon is fun to play endlessly (but I guess that's sort of off topic.. sorry)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
I must admit, I love the ending of Yoshi's Island. It really brings a tear to my eye, especially with the song that plays during the credit roll.
I also liked the "true" ending of YI (the one after you have a perfect score in every level). At least, it's in the SMA3 version...
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 10:30:18 PM »
Final Fantasy X. That game had a good ending. That ending cause X-2 to follow what happens after the ending in X and it includes some alternate ways that X could have finished.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 06:51:29 AM »
When I was little, the ending of the NES version of Dr.Mario scared the crap out of me, with that spaceship and everything..... *shudders*

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »
"Who was the person Ninetales REALLY cursed? This is the number one thing I need to know."
I'm pretty sure it was Gengar. Think about it. He knew about Ninetales, he was surprised that you were also a human, and he cried when he looked into your last dream.

As far endings I like...hmm...  Well, I agree that the endings for YI and PM were great.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Print