Print

Author Topic: What [ticks] me off is...  (Read 80433 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »
I don't care much for any anime, but DB/DBZ manga is still the best out there.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
First off is the fanbase factor; pretty much the only reason so many people watch anime is because it's from Japan, which annoys me.

EXACTLY. I'm so tired of the Japanese obsession over here. Now, I admit, I will read some Manga/Watch some anime, but only if the story appeals to me. I'm also tired of events like when I was sitting at this bookstore, reading Batman: Year One, when someone in a Death Note bag and a Naruto Headband walked up, glanced at the cover, and said

"Dude, American comics are STUPID."
No! I don't want that!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »
I place Naruto fans beneath professional wresting and soap opera fans.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
The anime industry experiences a lot of the same problems as the US movie industry and daytime TV industry. The only real difference being that it's animated instead of live action. That's my favorite thing about it, but otherwise I always felt I never really needed to get into it like some other nerds out there, even though I frequently flock to TV Tropes.

« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2008, 06:06:22 PM »
But worst of all is that I'm afraid that if I mention watching anime to an anime nerd, they go into a six-hour tirade about Death Note or some nonsense. I'm speaking from experience here.

You can always follow that up with "I think Avatar/Teen Titans/Totally Spies is the best anime ever". Those types of fans just go into full on rage mode for 5 minutes and then never bother you again. Works for me plenty of times.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »
My favorite anime is Dexter's Lab.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
The funny thing is Dexter's Lab as well as the The Powerpuff Girls were littered with references to certain anime and other sci-fi and action stuff.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
I watched Pokemon as a kid and that's about it.

I do find the concept of Death Note enticing, though.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:08 PM »
I hope CrossEyed is joking or something, since anime specifically refers to Japanese animation (and anime-styled American cartoons are just that).
I've heard from intelligent people that Death Note is actually worth watching and worthy of its hype, unlike other fan-riddled franchises like Naruto.
I appreciate the originality and/or elements derived from philosophy and mythology present in many anime series. I'm not generally a fan of series that go past their 26 episodes, unless it's really really good (i.e. Stand Alone Complex).

Finally, disliking the fans of something shouldn't cause you to dislike the thing itself. You should only like or dislike it based on your own assessment.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:03:45 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
They're all cartoons. You can give an exotic name (French, actually) to an foreign thing all you like.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2008, 02:38:32 AM »
The funny thing is, the word "anime" is actually just the first three syllables of "animation," and the style was originally based mostly off of old Disney cartoons. If the roots are American, why not some of the leaves too?

Also this.

And I also want to get around to watching Death Note someday. And maybe Bokurano.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
I've never encountered a Naruto fanboy, and I hope I never do.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »
I agree with the article I read criticizing people who call it "American anime" or "American manga" saying we don't need to reverse-adopt what Japan adopted from America.
"Anime" is not French. The French word "animé" means "animated" I believe but the Japanese term arises from their tendency to shorten long words like "animeshon".
Yes, that music video is Tezuka-style, but that isn't the standard style for that show and you know it.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
They're all cartoons.

A cartoon is an exaggerated drawing designed to evoke humor. If it's not meant to be funny, it's not a cartoon. They are all animated shows, though.

Still, you are right about the whole naming thing. We don't refer to animated shows from Europe by a different name, do we?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #329 on: October 12, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
I just discovered the original Dragon Ball series.  Yeah, I'm a total n00b, right?
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print