Poll

What are your views on abortion?

Pro-life
Pro-choice
Undecided
Print

Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 67867 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
According to Ryuta Kawashima, your brain doesn't stop developing until you're 20. Should we be able to kill any 19-year-olds who get in our way, since they're still developing?

But after you turn 20, your brain starts deteriorating. Why should we support people who are only going to get worse? (De-develop? Or maybe just velop?) They'll be passing by the same lower mental development levels they passed when they were developing, only this time they're worsening instead of improving. Only people who are exactly 20 years old have full rights of humanity, apparently.

Or does the development rule only apply to them on the way up, but not the way down? The people who have already contributed to society and are declining in their usefulness and virility are more important than the future generation?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »
Does anyone here think that destroying sperm and/or eggs is morally wrong in and of itself?  I don't.  I think using a woman's menstrual stem cells is a very good idea.  Albeit a gross idea.  Her body naturally destroys the egg anyway. 

http://www.firethecannon.com/2008/07/a-stem-cell-miracle-for-women/
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
I like the way Glorb thinks. Some day, we're gonna have a huge zombie problem since we've been so careless with our corpses over the years.

Seriously though, teenagers have all their organs and are fully capable of sustaining life on their own (theoretically). Hell, even a newborn baby will stay alive fine until it needs to eat or drink. Fetuses on the other hand physically cannot live without their placenta and umbilical chord and all that stuff. That's because they're not yet human beings.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
People on ventilators cannot physically live without being hooked up to one of these.

Are they human beings?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2008, 06:23:27 PM »
People on ventilators cannot physically live without being hooked up to one of these.

Are they human beings?

Yes they are. Human being is social classification. If the guy mutated, he is not a human being.

It it were up to me, I would put a 25 to life ban on abortion.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »
Wait, so what you mean is you'd ban abortion for those over the age of 25? I'm not sure what you mean by 25 to life. If what you're saying is what I think it is, does that mean that it'd be okay for teenage girls who were stupid enough to have sex before they were ready get to have abortions whenever they want to?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:53:37 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
I think he means a prison sentence of 25 years to life.
No! I don't want that!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »
I don't think it's important how developed a fetus is.  A newly formed fetus is very able and usually going to develop into a baby person.  Sex is an act that requires a lot of responsibility, because sex is first and foremost a way to procreate.  That's why animals do it.  That's why humans haven't died out.  Granted, many and most humans have sex for pleasure (as do dolphins, fun fact), but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be aware of the consequences: STDs, pregnancy, etc.

A method for preventing pregnancy that is natural, church-approved and 99% effective is known as "Natural Family Planning".  For those considering sexual intercourse, I strongly suggest learning about NFP.  I think a lack of education may be a reason why artificial abortion exists in the first place.  That, and being irresponsible.

I don't have an answer for pregnancy caused by rape.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »
I think he means a prison sentence of 25 years to life.

He said that he'd put a 25 to life ban on abortion. Why would he be talking about a prison sentence anyway?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
Are they human beings?

No, they're vegetables. That's why euthanasia isn't murder either.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »
So that counts even if they're in full control of their mental faculties?
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
So that counts even if they're in full control of their mental faculties?
You just reminded me of http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/03/wasp-performs-roachb.html
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:34 PM »
Well, what with today's obsession with television and computers and other sedentary activities, I'd say most people are vegetables.

Especially carrots.  Those little jerks...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
every

« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2008, 11:53:42 PM »
You just reminded me of http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/03/wasp-performs-roachb.html

Just imagine if humans had the ability to do this. Oh the people I'd use it on...

Print