Poll

What are your views on war?

It should be fought whenever possible even when it isn't needed
1 (2.9%)
It should never be fought even when innocent lives are threatened by the opposing side
7 (20.6%)
War ain't pretty, but sometimes it's necessary
19 (55.9%)
PaperLuigi smells
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Print

Author Topic: War  (Read 39510 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »
While I don't want to just agree and look like a fool, I don't think that something like this is entirely out of the realm of possibility. As for explosives in the basement, that makes no sense because the tops of the buildings fell on the bottoms. It's not like the bases collapsed or something. The buildings were designed to withstand the impact (from smaller planes), but there was no way to guard against the heat that weakened the structures.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
So... then why did the explosion happen where the plane(s) hit? Just to reiterate, I'm perfectly willing to entertain the possibility that the whole thing was a conspiracy, but we've all got to lay out the facts and look at them first.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »
Why isn't there an option for "War is unavoidable"?

I mean, even if we didn't have large powerful countries and nations at each others necks, we'd still probably have smaller civil wars around the world, probably caused by resource disputes and genocide through corrupt rule.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »
There will always be hate and violence, my friend.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 01:14:33 AM »
9/11 conspiracists... ughhhhh... my most unfavorite people. Seriously, give me one factually accurate argument describing why our own government, all of a sudden after centuries decides to kill 3000 of its own citizens and start a war? War is incredibly costly on so many levels. Why would our government want to do that? Tell me, please. I really want to hear your reasoning behind that. "Because they want to take our rights away" is not a valid argument either. You have no proof of that. It's arbitrary speculation. Seriously, it's one thing to be against the war and the aftermath of September 11th, but to call the entire thing a setup by our own government? Please. Spare me. Come back and tell me when you've actually lost someone or something to that attack, then you can talk alllll about conspiracies.

And as for people saying war is never necessary, go live in la la land with the rest of the other idealists. War is essential in international politics. It's a realist world. Nations and humans alike are self motivated. If one country truly wants more power than anyone else, then the only way to stop them is by crippling them so that they physically cannot continue what they were doing. See, many people don't understand that. Most people just see war as a big spiteful way to get back at a nation who ****ed you off. That's not how it works. The goal of a war is to physically halt your opponent so that they:
a) Become low on military personnel.
b) Cannot afford the money to fight anymore.
c) Are spiritually broken and lose the support of others.
When this happens, they are FORCED to stop whatever it was that incited conflict in the first place. Wars aren't fought for the sake of fighting. They're fought to get something done.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
"Was 9/11 a conspiracy? My answer: yes, it was...19 members of Al Qaeda secretly working to crash planes into buildings constitutes a conspiracy, but it was not an "inside job" that the 9/11 "truthers" think it was; in fact, do you know how we know that the Bush administration did not orchestrate 9/11? Because it worked."
- Commencement Speech
Friday, May 23, 2008
Dr. Michael Shermer
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »
^ I don't necessarily agree with all of that quote, but it still made me lol.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »
PaperLuigi apparently still hasn't read my first post here because he didn't notice that I had to concede that I thought the USA entering WWII was necessary. It was also terrible because it led to atomic weaponry. Also, as for WWI, it was definitely not necessary. It was just a chain of alliances.

Yeah, I read it, but you didn't make it too obvious that's what you meant. I apologize for missing it.

Has anyone actually found time to smell me before? Apparently four people on the board have.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 04:38:50 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »
I've smelled you too, but I liked it, so I didn't vote for that one.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
9/11 conspiracists... ughhhhh... my most unfavorite people. Seriously, give me one factually accurate argument describing why our own government, all of a sudden after centuries decides to kill 3000 of its own citizens and start a war?
Then I guess you would hate me. Why would Bush do this. Money and power.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »
Money: Yeah, because spending billions of dollars on a war really puts a lot of money in the president's pocket. Please explain how losing money to pay for military budgets gives Bush more money.

Power: This one's even more laughable. Power? You kidding me? This isn't a video game. Power doesn't mean anything in a democracy with a system of checks. Regardless of what anyone thinks about federal wiretapping programs or the patriot act (I'm not defending or supporting either of these) they don't really do much for this grandiose image you have of Bush harnessing power over the United States. OH NO! THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS WHAT I DID LAST FRIDAY! Yes, it's illegal. But is this really a form of "power"? What is Bush going to do with this supposed influx of power you're saying he gained from killing innocent civilians? Okay, he started a war. Now what? Where does he go from there? Oh wait, logically of course, he's going to take over the entire nation and become a dictator before he leaves office in 6 months.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »
All 9/11 conspiracists should watch 9/11: Fact or Fiction? on the History Channel. I was a conspiracist of sorts too until I saw the video.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
Thing about documentaries is, they're biased and will want you to agree with the viewpoint they're presenting so you can never trust them fully.
That was a joke.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
Ive seen 9/11: fact or fiction. Has anyone else seen Loose Change?

Money: There was hundreds of billions of dollars of gold stored under the WTC. Bush and his buddies wanted it for themselves.

Power: Because of how there was such a high terrorist alert, Bush has been granted more power than he should have so he can deal with the terrorists.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
Ive seen 9/11: fact or fiction. Has anyone else seen Loose Change?

Yeah, I saw Loose Change. And then I saw 9/11: Fact or Fiction. And that's why I find Loose Change to be a complete load.

Also, I find 9/11: Fact or Fiction to be fairly unbiased. Loose Change was severely biased towards their point of view. They hardly considered other possibilities, and some of their explanations were pretty far fetched.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:56:59 PM by PaperLuigi »

Print