Print

Author Topic: Stupid Linksys router need helpage.  (Read 2063 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
Okay, I've scanned and scanned and scanned the internet looking for a way to fix my stupid router and whatnot and can't find the correct article and Linksys' technical support "solutions" never work.

I have a Linksys WRT54G model, version 8.00.2. On the computer in my room (running Vista) I have the Wireless G USB adapter (802.11g). My security settings are disabled because that is the only way the comp will allow a connection. It would work fine except for the occasional "gotta go unplug & plug the router back in" deal. Yesterday it totally freaked out. The USB adapter would pick up the router just fine, but I'd get the dreaded "limited connecitivity" message. I tinkered with the stuff and now it has recognized both ends and says I'm connected. The only thing is that I can't access the internet. When I run the diagnostics on it, the only options are to move the source closer because of interference but there is absolutely nothing interfering with it, especially since it's worked fine since January. The other suggestion is to redo the IP settings but when it tried to repair it, I get the same options. I ran command prompt and now it says things such as "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection ---- Media Disconnected" and "Tunnel Adapter ------ Media Disconnected."

The Wii has never had a problem in the world, but it's not as practical internet-wise when I have a desktop computer able to run everything normally 6 feet away from it. I need this computer working very soon.

Any help at all would be immensely appreciated. If you need any information I'll try and get it for you. Please
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »
I had a similar problem with my router and adapter, and it ended up just being a faulty Ethernet cable (if you're using one), so if you have any spare lying around or you know someone who does I'd look into that. Alternatively, you could try reinstalling/updating drivers, which hopefully may include any bugfixes the maker might have included; or, you could try using System Restore on the computer receiving the signal to undo any changes that may have happened in terms of software/hardware, if you have it enabled.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »
Well, I did do a System Restore, and WOW it worked!!

BUT

After about my 5th page on the internet, the connection slowed down substantially. I could download a 25 minute high quality video on youtube instantly and loading pages would happen virtually faster than my mouseclick. Now, it loads about as fast as 56k.... while the main comp in the living room is churning 100Mbps, and the router burnin' 54Mbps. Now it's about.... 1Mbpminute. 15 second video might take a couple minutes to download. I thought, well crap maybe the date I picked for the restoration was like 3 minutes before the crap happened, so I restored it to a couple weeks before the screw up... and worked fine.... but started doing the same stuff almost immediately after. As of now, it'll have a connection, load horribly slow, then lose its connection.... repeat... and every time this happens it feels like the time it is disconnected to the time it reconnects itself just gets longer and longer.

So bluh I dunno but it's really annoying.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:09:48 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
If you're really desperate, you could try a different brand of router. I've heard that Linksys' routers are often bogus.
Of course, it might also just be one of Vista's bugs.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Print