Poll

What are your views on homosexuals and/or letting them wed?

I accept them.
51 (66.2%)
I tolerate them.
6 (7.8%)
It's flat out wrong.
7 (9.1%)
I don't really care.
9 (11.7%)
I have mixed views. (Describe)
4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Print

Author Topic: Homosexuality and Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 200168 times)

« on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »
This has come up several times before, but what are your views on homosexuality?

Personally, I have mixed views. I tolerate and accept homosexuality as part of our culture, but I still have an underlying discomfort. The same could be said for others as well. For example, a friend of mine's view was "I have no problems with gays, as long as they don't 'do it' right in front of me." In other words, we're both fine with people embracing their homosexuality in their lives, because that's what living life is about– doing what you wish to satisfy your needs and lifestyle, no one has any say in what you can do within your own life. It doesn't bother me if people do things I may disagree with, but I do feel discomfort if their views or behavior is forced on me.

For example, a friend of mine was attending a literature meeting and listening to various readings. One author (my Creative Writing teacher) was gay, and so his personal essay's content was what some may find questionable. Considerably many were uncomfortable, but they put up with it. However, they were also told to ask questions regarding the essay's content, and weren't allowed to leave until they did so. That, I do not think is right. Feeling uncomfortable is one thing, but being forced to participate in something that makes you uncomfortable is another thing altogether.

I'm not sure what else to say, but overall, I accept homosexuality as part of society. Even as a Catholic I don't see it as "evil" or an "abomination." If same-sex marriages take place, it doesn't bother me for there are no negative effects upon my own lifestyle or choices. But like most I do feel a bit of discomfort now and then, but that's my own problem.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
I tolerate them as human beings. I don't like homosexuality in general, but it is their choice and I'm not supposed to judge them. They are free to do as they wish as long as they don't try and make a huge deal about it (*coughChrisCrockercough*).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:53:35 PM »
Considering how disturbing it'd be if anybody "did it" right in front of me, I don't have that underlying discomfort. Gay people are just people who could be described as "sexually defective" (which makes total sense if you go by the idea that all living things exist to work, reproduce and die) but big deal. And what about people who choose to live their lives without starting families? They're just as unproductive, but not discriminated against only because of this paranoia of gay people being mindless animals who would rape anyone of the same gender they pleased. Yep, paranoia--a disorder. Though I can't say it is baseless, as many of the accusers of such behavior really don't think about anything but sex, therefore might assume everyone has that same obsession.

That being said the government really has no business controlling the matter. How far away are we from real equality? Black people, check, women, check, gay people, not yet...*

As for how I think this mingles with religion... I was Catholic. Now I'm just plain ol' Christian with my own moral codes and my own ideas of what God is like. I don't think He'd want me to follow other people's hearts anyway. I don't think God would create gay people if they truly were to be condemned. And that's right, I believe that sexual orientation is not something your environment affects, but an instinct you're born with. Like taste. Vidgmchtr likes Burger King. I hate Burger King, but I don't care if he eats there. Vid could force himself to not eat at Burger King to comply with the paranoid people who don't tolerate eating there, but he won't actually stop liking it.

*And I know, I'm kidding myself if I think that all races of men and women are already treated equally.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Hey I know a gay dude that is always like "Omg tolerate me" "Omg you are such an homophobic" for no reason at all, but he is also always "Emo sucks", "Pokemon sucks", "Pokemon is for keedees" "Nerds sucks" "Pokemon is for kiddy nerds" "Megaman sucks and so does anyone who likes it" etc. Troo fax.

But my opinion on the matter? I think I tolerate them (The guy I mentioned above is one of my friends), but don't really think it's ok. I also really don't want to see them making out there in the open (Except if they are two or more girls ) : )

I think if they let homosexuals marry, they should also let people marry their own sons or their parents, and their pets and the TV. Ok that was stupid exaggeration, but if gays can marry you may not want to think about what would be the next kind new marriage :o

PS:Sorry if this post isn't serious enough.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »
No offense, but that post was the exact definition of ignorance.

Comparing video game fans and lame subcultures to broad groups of people who suffer discrimination and hate crimes on a daily basis doesn't work. Neither does the insanely tired argument of "omh if gays marry than donkeys and robots will mary 2!!!".
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:33:34 AM »
I will say this only once (unless I'm inclined to say it again):  Homosexuality is perversion.

If same-sex marriages take place, it doesn't bother me for there are no negative effects upon my own lifestyle or choices.

No, just on the morality of the already morally-drained country we live in.

1. That being said the government really has no business controlling the matter. How far away are we from real equality? Black people, check, women, check, gay people, not yet...*

As for how I think this mingles with religion... I was Catholic.  2. Now I'm just plain ol' Christian with my own moral codes and my own ideas of what God is like. I don't think He'd want me to follow other people's hearts anyway. I don't think God would create gay people if they truly were to be condemned.   3. And that's right, I believe that sexual orientation is not something your environment affects, but an instinct you're born with. Like taste. Vidgmchtr likes Burger King. I hate Burger King, but I don't care if he eats there. Vid could force himself to not eat at Burger King to comply with the paranoid people who don't tolerate eating there, but he won't actually stop liking it.

1. Being born black or a woman isn't something you can change (or shouldn't be, but there's just another example of how perverted our society is).

2. You have your own moral code and idea of what God is like?  Define "Christian."

3. So is being an alcoholic, and yet there are AA meetings across the country because alcoholism is something that can be overcome.  People can make a choice to overcome their inclinations, not because they're "complying with the paranoid people," but because it's the right thing to do.

No offense, but that post was the exact definition of ignorance.

Comparing video game fans and lame subcultures to broad groups of people who suffer discrimination and hate crimes on a daily basis doesn't work. Neither does the insanely tired argument of "omh if gays marry than donkeys and robots will mary 2!!!".

Is it really so insane and illogical to believe that perversion will lead to more perversion?

...well, I don't think I made too many new friends with this post.  But that's what I think, presented as civilly as possible.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:31:48 AM »
I accept them. It's not their fault, after all. Yeah, I don't want to see gay guys making out, but neither do I really want to see heterosexuals couples do the same.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
Is it really so insane and illogical to believe that perversion will lead to more perversion?
That's like saying that tolerance to homosexuality will somehow make straight people automatically gay or breed new gay people.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »
lol @ people who think it's a choice.

lol @ turtlekid. I could've sworn the way you follow Glorb around...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »
lol @ people who think it's a choice.

lol @ turtlekid.

Ah, redundancy.  It's as much a choice as any other negative addiction/problem.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
Except you didn't just stop at it being a choice, you went full-blown Fox News stupid, which is an entirely different league from regular, garden-variety stupid.

So you best check yo self 'fore you wreck yo self.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »
Except you didn't just stop at it being a choice, you went full-blown Fox News stupid, which is an entirely different league from regular, garden-variety stupid.

How, exactly did I do this?  Honest question.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »
Turtlekid, homosexuality isn't something you can do anything about. People have tried to force homosexuals to become heterosexuals, but it just doesn't work. The only thing you can do is see them as human beings and accept them for who they are. You are not supposed to judge.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:07:18 PM »
It's official. Turtlekid is the new CTOAN.

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
I personally feel slightly uncomfortable about being near people who are gay and/or married but I do feel that it's not right to actually tell them how to live their lives.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print