Print

Author Topic: The Afterlife  (Read 23292 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
I can't prove it any more than you could prove Darwinism.  That's why they call Christianity a faith
Please explain why the Bible isn't true, without saying "because there's no raw evidence."  I want raw evidence.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
There is no way that a millenia-year-old book co-written by hundreds of people, all with various political agendas, in multiple languages, none of them English for a long time, could ever possibly mean what it used to. If I leave a cereal box lying outside, it's sure as heck not going to be the same when I come back a week later.

Now, that's not to say the Bible isn't "true" in some ways. The Ten Commandments and such are definitely a great basis for living, but kings and emperors figured out a long time ago that it's easier to get people to stay in line if you say "You'll go to a bad firey place forever if you do that" than "please don't do that".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
I can't prove it any more than you could prove Darwinism.  That's why they call Christianity a faith
Please explain why the Bible isn't true, without saying "because there's no raw evidence."  I want raw evidence.

Prove there isn't a tea pot orbiting the sun somewhere between Earth and Mars. Prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn. Prove there isn't a flying spaghetti monster.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Because half the stuff in there is goofy fantasy and the other half is violent intolerance.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
Has anybody ever read Everlost? No, this isn't a springboard for some sort of metaphor--I'm just curious. Good book; I'm looking forward to the movie, even if I'll probably be a little old for it by then.

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
Sorry to say Turtlekid, but there's MORE evidence supporting science, and LESS evidence supporting the Bible.

Adding to what ShadowBrain said...

If there are so many people without faith, why hasn't God sent a sign? At this rate, there will be a time when people won't believe in "God".

How did you find out about God? Your parents told you, right? And...they are always right, right, so the bible must be right, right?

What other proof do you have of God, other then what your parents(Who were told by thier parents) tell you, and a building full of people reading stories?

You know there are more miserys then miracles, unless you're very very lucky?

Dreams are recollections of your thought processes during the day...if you dream of god, you were simply thinking of god somewhere in the past two days.

All reality is meant for DNA survival...

A lot of things in the Bible have been disproven by Science, and are thought to be metaphorical...which means they pretty much didn't happen...

...The Battle Rages On...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
Sorry to say Turtlekid, but there's MORE evidence supporting science, and LESS evidence supporting the Bible.

Adding to what ShadowBrain said...

If there are so many people without faith, why hasn't God sent a sign? At this rate, there will be a time when people won't believe in "God".

How did you find out about God? Your parents told you, right? And...they are always right, right, so the bible must be right, right?

What other proof do you have of God, other then what your parents(Who were told by thier parents) tell you, and a building full of people reading stories?

You know there are more miserys then miracles, unless you're very very lucky?

Dreams are recollections of your thought processes during the day...if you dream of god, you were simply thinking of god somewhere in the past two days.

All reality is meant for DNA survival...

A lot of things in the Bible have been disproven by Science, and are thought to be metaphorical...which means they pretty much didn't happen...

1. Jesus answered this question more than once in his ministry.  He said that if someone doesn't believe witnesses and miracles that have already happened, they won't believe any new signs.  If something strange and unusual happened tomorrow, you would try to explain it away with "science," not as a sign from God.

2. Sure, my parents told me, but I'm not the type to believe what I'm told blindly.  Do you honestly think I haven't thought this through for myself?

3. What he has done in my life, what is in the Bible, the entire world/galaxy/universe.

4. There are "more miserys than miracles" because we live in a fallen world.

5. What does dreaming have to do with it?...

6. Ok, where did all reality come from?

7. Examples, please?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

You are assuming the superiority of your own worldview. You cannot prove neutrally that science is the best way to discover truth, because anything you or I say is said through our own worldviews: you through a more naturalistic one, me through a supernaturalistic one. Saying that your worldview is better because it has more evidence is little better than saying "You're wrong because you don't agree with me," because while you hold scientific evidence in the highest regard, I hold divine revelation in that place.

As for things in the Bible being disproved by science... most of the historical events have been confirmed by archaeology, and more are being confirmed every day. As for the miracles, yeah, those go against strict naturalistic science. That's kind of the point. They show that God, the author of physical laws, is not bound by them, and interacts freely with the world as He chooses.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »
I would like to add that science and the Bible are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
That too.

EDIT: Sorry, this post shouldn't have been so short. Since God created the world, science, carried out properly, will glorify Him and make sense. Many of the greatest scientific discoveries in history were from Christians who wanted to find out how God created the world.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:58:54 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 12:41:40 AM »
Yes, because everything is GOD's doing, we can not be expected any credit. A supernatural being that expects us to believe in him through :

1. A book that could easily have been written by Muslims looking for moral and faith strengthening stories, and made them with thier minds.

2. Evil priests, and centuries of the church being used for evil.

3. Views that contradict science, which is becoming stronger.

...And many more. Here's my prediction of Turtlekids first post:

"Give me examples".

This time, YOU my Bible reading friend can do the research. I'm going to bed.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 07:07:30 AM »
I hope everyone here realizes that Islam and Christianity are both offshoots of Judaism. That's what makes all the killing and hate in the world over differing religions so  almost sickly funny.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
That brings us to another point: We've got people causing wars, commiting genocide, and murdering/maiming innocent men, women, and children with suicide bombs over whose extremely similar religions are best. And we've got brutal hate crimes over people's race, religion, sexual orientation, and a government that deprives certain people of the right to marry "because it's unnatural".

In addition to rape, murder, theft, and all that good stuff.

So riddle me this: If the people before the "flood" were so unredeemably horribly vile that a big, all-powerful guy out in space, who was apparently only worshipped by a small family, saw fit to destroy every single living thing in the whole world except for said family and their pets, then how bad are we gonna have to get for this dude to come and, say, vaporize us all?
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
I just want to love others and not go to hell.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
As long as thier is religon, there will be violence.

Without religon, thier is less violence...

Also, heres a fun little comic explaining religon and science: http://bp2.blogger.com/_X2sjPj.....ciencevsreligion.jpg
WARNING: Contains the F-word.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:42:33 PM by Nintendoobsessed »

Print