Poll

Should the time between presidential election and inauguration be shortened again?

Yes
8 (72.7%)
No
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Print

Author Topic: The Lame Duck Period  (Read 5759 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »
Despite what everyone would have you think, Barack Obama is not president yet. George W. Bush still has two months left to serve, even though he basically has no power right now. Right now we're all just waiting for the inauguration in January.

Should the time between election and inauguration be shortened again? It has happened once already with the Twentieth Amendment (ratified in 1933) moving the inauguration from March 4th to January 20th. (This four-month period was necessary back in the old days when communicating election results and the travel of the new president to Washington were both slow. By the 1930s, these had advanced enough to the point where four months was no longer necessary.) I think it should be shortened again, as only a small amount of time is necessary for the various finalizations of the election process.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
I think with the chances of every President to mess things up, the Lame Duck period could be like the eye of the storm.  So let's all settle down and relax before anything crucial happens.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
Did democrats get enough seats to override a veto?  If so, it could happen. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
I think yes; sometime in December would be a good time to.. out with old and in with the new. Since that is what December is: a month of old and new.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
December 9th or the 28th should be considered decent times.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
I say no, because there's nothing wrong with a little delayed gratification, and in this case, because I want a little time to get out of denial.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
Yes we can.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:47 PM »
I say no, because there's nothing wrong with a little delayed gratification, and in this case, because I want a little time to get out of denial.
Denial? What do you mean?
"it's always the present"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »
He can't believe we managed to pick the right guy.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
I can't believe the american people are apparently so ignorant of their picking the wrong guy.  Ah, well.  If I'm right, we'll all pay the price in the next four years.  If I'm wrong (and in this case, I really hope I am), then you have nothing to worry about, so don't let me bother you about it.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
Well, in the case of an incumbent president losing his reelection bid, he needs some time to pack up his things. And as we saw in 2000 and 2004, we need some buffer time to make sure we know who actually won. And it also gives people a chance to grow accustomed to the new guy being president (or move to Canada).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
If I'm right, we'll all pay the price in the next four years.  If I'm wrong (and in this case, I really hope I am), then you have nothing to worry about, so don't let me bother you about it.
Reminds me of this

EDIT: Also, I live in Canada, so this doesn't affect me very much
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:14:55 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
Well, in the case of an incumbent president losing his reelection bid, he needs some time to pack up his things. And as we saw in 2000 and 2004, we need some buffer time to make sure we know who actually won.

Only if you live in Florida.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print