Print

Author Topic: Just how much does America depend on gas?  (Read 35891 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
Jesus, people... we've got to have some sort of energy. Might as well use the kind that works the best, doesn't cost a lot, and results in the deaths and poverty of a minimum amount of third-world inhabitants.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
But isn't fusion also nuclear? As in, what we have now is nuclear fission, and we're trying to get to nuclear fusion? That's what I remember from SimCity, at least.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »
Nuclear fusion doesn't produce deadly waste, just energy.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »
I can't believe I've missed this thread for so long.  I have a lot to say on the topic, but since it's election day I'm very busy so I'll just make a brief statement about my car.  I have a Honda Civic Hybrid that regularly gets 40+ MPG on regular gas.  I've never used supreme or even the middle grade and my car has never knocked and it has over 130,000 miles on it.  I tested it against a standard Civic and beat it off the line and on distance while using less gas.  Awesome!  Edit:  It's also awesome that it cost me less per month for the note and gas than the gas alone was costing my on my truck. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »
The reason manufactures recommend putting premium in it is to provide the best results and to keep your car from getting carbon build-up on the intake valves which will eventually start suffocating the engine and eventually clog it up to where it stutters.. Since the lower grade is in it, it is less resilient to knocking (not that it will automatically) and it might happen in certain conditions. The car may have over 130,000 miles on it, but you apparently drive it gently.... not trying to BS you... if that problem ever does come up, just go to the O'Reilley's (not autozone... too expensive for cheap stuff) and buy a bottle of Stabil (or whathaveyou) valve cleaner to put in your gas tank to get rid of any build-up and it'll run like new.

You already have 130,000 miles on your Civic??? Unless it's an '03 or '04, that's a lot!!!!
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 05:22:12 AM »
It is an '03 and I do not drive it gently.  I've found that I get better gas millage if I accelerate rapidly from stops.  That's the opposite for gas only cars, but makes sense with hybrids because accelerating rapidly kicks in more of the electric motors than the gas engine.  Also, electric motors have maximum torque from the start.  On the other end, I tend to drive to fast.  If I slowed down my top speed I'd get better gas mileage.  I've tested this and got around 48 MPG, but the saving wasn't worth the hassle of driving slow to me.  I'd rather stick to my typical highway speeds and get 40-42 MPG. 

I tried on of those valve cleaners in another car and ended up having to change an oxygen sensor. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »
True.

Sensor must've been getting old. Did you use pour-in-the-tank valve/injector cleaner or-spray-in-the-throttle-body valve cleaner?

And do you know if your car has direct fuel injection [or called multi-port injection, sequential injection, etc.] (injector squirts fuel directly into the cylinder and does not interact with the intake valve) or normal fuel injection (air and fuel mixes before it reaches the cylinder)

Too technical...?

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
I think we should all ride bikes. Plain and simple.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
Excellent!  Solve obesity and oil dependency in one swift stroke ;)
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
I'll tell you one thing I may or may not have told you already: When I move out, it's public transportation and a two-wheeler for me. Then again, a full stomach likes to preach about fasting...

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Public transit wouldn't exist if we all rode bikes.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »
Even if I could ride a bike, I wouldn't like having no public transportation. It's not just a mode of conveyance, it's a social experience. People-watching is fun.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »
My only qualm with bikes is how little you can carry with you.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »
Well, going to a lesser form of transportation would have to go hand-in-hand with downsizing how much we "need" to carry around with us (and I think that, though bikes should be the norm, people should have a backup car, just in case).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 12:54:48 AM »
Great, I say "valve cleaner" in one of my posts and I start seeing a barrage of BG 44K VALVE CLEANER ads. RESTORES MILEAGE, BOOSTS PERFORMANCE.

Print